lewispalling

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
hi i have a leadtek winfast gforce 4 Ti4200 64mb and was wondering what clock speeds i could run my card at safeley. My Computer Specs are as follows: AMD ATHLON 1000mhz, 320megSD PC133 ram, msi main board and windows XP Pro. Would it Make Much Differance On My 3D Mark Score??

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
OK mate, i have a leadtek Ti4200 too, although i have the 128Mb version.....

firstly you should safely be able to push the GPU to 300Mhz, you can push it even further if you have good airflow through your case.

as for the RAM, you should be able to get it to around 600Mhz, but be careful, push it up slowly and stop when you see some artifacts on the screen during a 3d mark test.

you should see a reason rise in your 3d mark scores.

i pushed mine up around 1200 points though overclocking my gf4.

Champion_Tufshop

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
however at some point increasing the mhz will actually lower 3dmark score (drop in performance)

give it a test at some lower mhz too to see if this is happening to you (just to be sure)

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
mmm i'm not sure, personally my score rises and rises with increasing the frequencies. so long as you keep feeding the faster GPU with faster RAM

Champion_Tufshop

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
it usually starts happening once you max out the core and keep raising the ram (i know somebody who had 355MHz core / 745 memory on ti4600 and it would either not increase performance at first when he was going up to that speed, but later when he reached that speed performance started to drop)

svol

Champion
There could be a reason for that:
1. The memory timings (CAS and others) are increased thus decreasing performance.
2. The GPU can keep along with the memory which will result in performance increasing stopping... it could even result in performance decrease if the GPU has problems running that memory speed.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek: .