INTEL OR AMD ??

Alkatrazz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
Because of such a "overheating" dilema I would ask where I could find more performance,stability and future possibilities of upgrading between SiS 648(even SiS 655) +Intel P4 1,8A and nForce2(an Asus A7N8X) +Athlon XP2000+ ? I mean in all kind of apllications,games etc.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not certain if current AMD boards will support future 32-bit processors from AMD, but even those are being dropped for the Athlon-64 in the not very distant future, so that new processors for current boards will probably run out in about a year (that's if the new 32-bit processors are even compatable). On the Intel side, they are about to spring the Springdale on us in like 2 months with a new bus speed, and current boards will support new processors probably for about a year. The only good news on the Intel side is that DDR400 will work with the next boards, and your old CPU in all likelyhood.

Better news is that SiS is trying to rework the 655 to be compatable with the new bus speed the Springdale supports.

So if you want to wait, boards available in the next 2-3 months should be viable for 2-3 years on the Intel side. All current boards have a limited upgrade path. I don't know when Athlon-64 boards/CPU's will be available.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS