Air Cooled variable powered smart Peliers!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Discussion:
Who thinks that these are a good invention? Useful? Not useful? the future of cpu cooling?

<A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/subzero/subzero4g.htm" target="_new">http://www.thermaltake.com/products/subzero/subzero4g.htm</A>

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I'm in.....if you can find something that allows both cooling and lower noise levels-----what's not to like!!! Of course price will dictate whether the masses will be able to enjoy this development or not. Looks easy enough to install as well!!! Was there a price for this , as I didn't read about that anywhere( probably too excited to see a price;though!!) If it can indeed keep your temps. to a low of 26c idle----that means under load they would run at about 36-40c !!!, awesome. Going back to site for furher info........ great link!!!!!

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!

melb_angel19

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
I think the idea is as you go from idle to full load the thermal output of the cpu increases, and the electronics detects this and increases the current flow thru the peltier, essentially keeping the CPU at the same temp...
The revers side and the heatsink however would get MUCH hotter.

<font color=purple><i>An angel is someone who helps you believe in miracles again.</i></font color=purple>

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
hey i just posted this a few days ago! whatever i'm glad people are reading your thread at least. i think it's really cool and i think it's a direction that a lot of HSF makers will go.
nice title =)

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I think it's a complete waste of energy. Unless you're getting temperatures that are sub zero, thus justifying a great over clock, you're just spinning your wheels. Those devices are eating up 70w of power to cool like a 5w HSF. What a gimmick.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
yeah but since this is the opening product i think the temps will get better, i also think they will use copper or a copper aluminum combo in the future. sure this heatsink is overkill for a normal user, but for those who wanted to use a peltier but weren't sure they could pull it off without ruining their systems (me), this is a chance at it. i'm not buying it cuz i'm happy with my volcano 7+ and i'm already at their claim of 24C idle (i'm actually at 21C as we speak! and no my room's not freezing, i'd say 65F or 18-19C). but if they improve the product so they claim lower temperatures i'm all for it. also i would think the power usage was scaled as the need for the peltier's cooling increases or decreases.
and how's this for cooling one of those P4 chips from hell (in terms of heat)? this almost seems necessary for somethin like that if you want low temps for overclocking and you can't get watercooling

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Oh yeah. Whose bright idea was it to put a 4-5-amp power source near the graphics card? I hope they have their own exhaust on that puppy. I do like the idea of a modular solution. I just don't want to end up like this <A HREF="http://www.sumabrand.com/pages/4/index.htm" target="_new">guy</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

JAGedlion

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
the main advantage i believe is that you can voerclock as much as you want and the chip will not over heat but rather after somepoint the peltier will just melt. Theoretically if you had a great heatsink you could overclock better than some water coolers.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Someone did a review of a different brand here:
<A HREF="http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=43" target="_new">http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=43</A>

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

svol

Champion
There is where everybody goes wrong. The TEC (or peltier) of this device is only a 70W one. If your CPU generates (and yes OC'ed CPUs DO generate more then 70W) more then 70W heat the peltier can't manage the heat output and will start heating up the cold site as well.

For a sufficient overclock with peltiers you need one of atleast 80W... preferably 100W or higher. But how do you think you can hold that one cool with aircooling that is nearly impossible. I shall calculate why for everyone:
Lets say we have a CPU highly OC'ed that generates 80W heat. The peltier will be atleast 80W and will ship this heat to the hot side ADDING another 80W for doing that. Thus you get a heat output 160W... lets say you cool this with the same HSF they use. I presume the heat disapating cability of the HSF is 0.35W/C IF we're lucky (it is aluminium therefore it is high!). 160W*0.35= 56C. Add to that the ambient temp of 22C and you have the heat of the heatsink... 78C sounds high doesn't it?
No problem... the peltier can have a deltaT (temp difference between hot and cold side) some will say. However that is only true if the heat input at the cold side is 0W... at its maximum it is way lower lets say 30C for this peltier. So then we get a CPU temp of 48C.
Now when we did this without peltier you would have an output of 80W only... again times the HSF heat disapating coefficient of 0.35W/C makes 28C... add to that the ambient on you have 50C.
So what will you choose:
1. The normal way with a 50C high temp?
2. The peltier/HSF combo with a 48C temp. BUT a power eating monster of 80W and lots (and then I mean really really much) of heat inside your case?

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3200 RAM!
--- PM me for information.

svol

Champion
I completely agree with you... for such a little gain it is not worth it. See my first post in this thread why.

svol

Champion
Peltier cooling for modern CPUs is only possible with an enormous jet engine aircooling or a nice and quiet watercooling set. Those HSF peltier combo's are a complete wast of money and energy.

scrumlord

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Seems like the same inadequate engineering that goes into most "heatpipe" designs. The peltier is too weak for current generation CPUs, and then only has air cooling to draw heat away from the pelt's hot side - all while drawing inordinate amounts of power, taking up yet another of my PCI slots, and generating heat all over that card-based power supply. It doesn't offer any benefits that outweigh its costs in terms of heat, electricity, complexity, reliability, or cash flow!

Seems like a loser to me.