Presario S5000NX - Problems

Hello..

My fiancé has a Presario S5000NX. It was in bad need to a rebuild (format,
reload windows). So, I did that, installed virus protection, spyware
removal, all current Windows updates. It is a clean and fresh machine.
However, it is just so slow. It is a 2.4 GHz Celeron with 128 Megs of RAM.
It shouldn't be a speed demon but it is just way too slow even after the
rebuild. I think it boils down to the hard drive or hard drive controller.
It seems to just run and run and run and the full boot up to Window XP
(Professional) takes a good 5 minutes. This shouldn't be happening so I was
wondering if anyone else had any suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian
1 answer Last reply
More about presario s5000nx problems

    128MB for Windows XP is totally inadequate!!!! Upgrade the memory, preferably
    to at least 512MB and you will see a pretty sprightly system. Selling is 128MB
    system is part of the brain-damaged mentality of HPaq and others, trying to
    compete on price and creating ill will in the process. Especially with memory
    prices being VERY low these days, there is no excuse for a company to sell a
    128MB system... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:10:27 -0600, "Brian" <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello..
    >
    >My fiancé has a Presario S5000NX. It was in bad need to a rebuild (format,
    >reload windows). So, I did that, installed virus protection, spyware
    >removal, all current Windows updates. It is a clean and fresh machine.
    >However, it is just so slow. It is a 2.4 GHz Celeron with 128 Megs of RAM.
    >It shouldn't be a speed demon but it is just way too slow even after the
    >rebuild. I think it boils down to the hard drive or hard drive controller.
    >It seems to just run and run and run and the full boot up to Window XP
    >(Professional) takes a good 5 minutes. This shouldn't be happening so I was
    >wondering if anyone else had any suggestions.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Brian

Compaq Presario Computers Product