Firewalls & Scandisk / Defragmenter

Hiya,

I only seem to defrag my hard drive once every since months and having
problems since I installed my firewall. I've tried disabling both firewall
and anti-virus software while doing this, but I still keep getting the "this
program has restarted 10 times" message when I try to use Scan Disk or
Defragmenter.

Is there anything else I need to do to be able to use this software

Thanks in advance

Alex

Mike

Splendid

"alexmccann" <alexmccann@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hiya,
>
> I only seem to defrag my hard drive once every since months and having
> problems since I installed my firewall. I've tried disabling both firewall
> and anti-virus software while doing this, but I still keep getting the
"this
> program has restarted 10 times" message when I try to use Scan Disk or
> Defragmenter.
>
> Is there anything else I need to do to be able to use this software

1. Restart in safe mode.

2. Ask OS specific quesrtions in an OS newsgroup

3. Get a real OS & filesystem

Hi, Windows Update Notification App is set to check for updates every
5 minutes. Disable it, or Scandisk and Defrag will restart every time
it checks. charlie R

"alexmccann" <alexmccann@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hiya,
>
> I only seem to defrag my hard drive once every since months and
having
> problems since I installed my firewall. I've tried disabling both
firewall
> and anti-virus software while doing this, but I still keep getting
the "this
> program has restarted 10 times" message when I try to use Scan Disk
or
> Defragmenter.
>
> Is there anything else I need to do to be able to use this software
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Alex

I may sound stupid here, total technophobe when it comes to operating
systems, but how do I do this step by step as I can't work it out

Thanks in advance

Alex

alexmccann wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I only seem to defrag my hard drive once every since months and having
> problems since I installed my firewall. I've tried disabling both firewall
> and anti-virus software while doing this, but I still keep getting the "this
> program has restarted 10 times" message when I try to use Scan Disk or
> Defragmenter.
>
> Is there anything else I need to do to be able to use this software
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Alex

Assuming you're running a Win9x OS? Try scandisk/defrag in "safe Mode",
which is the preferred method.

TRENDING THREADS