Major problems printing in Windows XP

amit

Hiya,

I have a Hewlett Packard psc 1215 all-in-one printer connected to my pc by
usb cable. Since yesterday however for some reason it refuses to print from
all applications. Everytime i send a document for printing it says "document
cannot be printed due to a system error, please restart windows and try
again."
(I'm using windows XP as my operating system.)

I've tried everything, uninstalling the printer, reinstalling, tested the
usb cables and my usb ports seem to be working fine and all communication
with the printer exists as per normal. I've tested the printer on my father's
pc and it works fine there but not on my pc for some reason.

I've run Norton's etc to check for registery errors but still didn't find
any problems, so I am kind of lost as to what to try next. There is nothing
wrong with the printer and my usb ports and cables etc are fine so i'm
assuming i must have accidentally messed up something in Windows that is
stopping it from printing anything.

Any suggestions/help from anyone who may have had similar problems or may be
able to help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Amit

Amit Wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I have a Hewlett Packard psc 1215 all-in-one printer connected to my pc
> by
> usb cable. Since yesterday however for some reason it refuses to print
> from
> all applications. Everytime i send a document for printing it says
> "document
> cannot be printed due to a system error, please restart windows and
> try
> again."
> (I'm using windows XP as my operating system.)
>
> I've tried everything, uninstalling the printer, reinstalling, tested
> the
> usb cables and my usb ports seem to be working fine and all
> communication
> with the printer exists as per normal. I've tested the printer on my
> father's
> pc and it works fine there but not on my pc for some reason.
>
> I've run Norton's etc to check for registery errors but still didn't
> find
> any problems, so I am kind of lost as to what to try next. There is
> nothing
> wrong with the printer and my usb ports and cables etc are fine so i'm
> assuming i must have accidentally messed up something in Windows that
> is
> stopping it from printing anything.
>
> Any suggestions/help from anyone who may have had similar problems or
> may be
> able to help would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Amit

Did you install any new hardware as of lately? Try going into the
Device manager to see if you have any conflicts.

--
Evolution54

amit

I haven't installed anything new since the last time it worked properly.
Helwett Packard support suggested some tips i copuld try (restarting spooler
settings/ setting it to print directly to printer rather than spool) however
these didn't work either. I'm assuming something has messed up in windows
somewhere which isnt allowing me to print

"Evolution54" wrote:

> Amit Wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I have a Hewlett Packard psc 1215 all-in-one printer connected to my pc
> > by
> > usb cable. Since yesterday however for some reason it refuses to print
> > from
> > all applications. Everytime i send a document for printing it says
> > "document
> > cannot be printed due to a system error, please restart windows and
> > try
> > again."
> > (I'm using windows XP as my operating system.)
> >
> > I've tried everything, uninstalling the printer, reinstalling, tested
> > the
> > usb cables and my usb ports seem to be working fine and all
> > communication
> > with the printer exists as per normal. I've tested the printer on my
> > father's
> > pc and it works fine there but not on my pc for some reason.
> >
> > I've run Norton's etc to check for registery errors but still didn't
> > find
> > any problems, so I am kind of lost as to what to try next. There is
> > nothing
> > wrong with the printer and my usb ports and cables etc are fine so i'm
> > assuming i must have accidentally messed up something in Windows that
> > is
> > stopping it from printing anything.
> >
> > Any suggestions/help from anyone who may have had similar problems or
> > may be
> > able to help would be very much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Amit
>
> Did you install any new hardware as of lately? Try going into the
> Device manager to see if you have any conflicts.
>

> --
> Evolution54

amit

Hiya guys just to let you know that i solved my printing problem through
plenty of trial and error. Turns out the reason I couldn't print was due to
the fact that i'd turned on Data Execution Prevention for all programs and
services. This is what was causing the sytem error message everytime i tried
printing.

So for anyone that experieneces the exact same problem it may be because
they have DEP turned on for ALL programs rather than the default level. The
DEP settings can be found by:

1) Right clicking my computer, then properties.
2) Clicking the advanced tab and then the settings button under
"performance"
3) Clicking the "Data execution prevention" tab
4) Ensuring it is set to "Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and
services
only" instead of the second option.

Amit

Amit Wrote:
> [...]
> didn't
> find
> any problems, so I am kind of lost as to what to try next. There is
> nothing
> wrong with the printer and my usb ports and cables etc are fine so
> i'm
> assuming i must have accidentally messed up something in Windows
> that
> is
> stopping it from printing anything.
>
> Any suggestions/help from anyone who may have had similar problems
> or
> may be
> able to help would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Amit-
>
> Did you install any new hardware as of lately? Try going into the
> Device manager to see if you have any conflicts.

Ahhh glad you fixed it.....congrats

--
Evolution54

Did you try and uninstall and reinstall?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Amit" <Amit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hiya,
>
> I have a Hewlett Packard psc 1215 all-in-one printer connected to my pc by
> usb cable. Since yesterday however for some reason it refuses to print
> from
> all applications. Everytime i send a document for printing it says
> "document
> cannot be printed due to a system error, please restart windows and try
> again."
> (I'm using windows XP as my operating system.)
>
> I've tried everything, uninstalling the printer, reinstalling, tested the
> usb cables and my usb ports seem to be working fine and all communication
> with the printer exists as per normal. I've tested the printer on my
> father's
> pc and it works fine there but not on my pc for some reason.
>
> I've run Norton's etc to check for registery errors but still didn't find
> any problems, so I am kind of lost as to what to try next. There is
> nothing
> wrong with the printer and my usb ports and cables etc are fine so i'm
> assuming i must have accidentally messed up something in Windows that is
> stopping it from printing anything.
>
> Any suggestions/help from anyone who may have had similar problems or may
> be
> able to help would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Amit

OH THANK YOU Evolution!! I was having the same problem and I luckily came
across your post!! love you love you love you!! THANKS!!!