Granite Bay

Arn

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I read the granite bay overview/preview. I am very interested in the chipset because I'm currently building a new system. Anyway, The board only supports ddr 266? Is that right? I was planning on getting 2 512 meg sticks of pc 3500, Now I’m starting to think that would be sever overkill, what do you all think? Should I save a few bucks and go w/ something cheaper? If so, What would be a good choice? Keep in mind I plan on doing some serious overclocking (phase change cooling).

Thanks

Aaron

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your faster memory would be necessary for overclocking, so there's no reason not to use faster memory unless you're certain you'll never be overclocking.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Arn

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I realize I need faster memory to overclock, I'm just saying 433 ddr may be overkill. I'm thinking of just getting 400 mhz ddr (and only becuase I know the intel chipsets coming out in 2003 support 400 mhz ddr), unless there is something I'm missing. What do you think?

Aaron

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably. But I'm still pissed off about Sprindale being an "800" bus chipset.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Arn

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Why would that(springdale) piss you off? I must be missing something becuase it sounds pretty tight to me.

Aaron

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Springdale is the real deal, Granit Bay is a half-hearted attempt at best by comparison.

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
So, it sounds to me like going with the 845PE and all of its required components now would be a good idea, then just spend $150 on a new mobo when Springdale comes out since all of the components should still work. Am I talking myself into the wrong thing?

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
going for PE now seems a good idea, or you could wait another month and go for a sis 655 based mobo those 'll support dual channel ddr 333

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have a lot of options. First, you could go with a PE chipset board and buy memory faster than what it needs, since memory can be used at slower speeds. Or you could go with the Gigabyte 8SG667, which can actually make good use of DDR400 right now (in single channel form). Or you could go with a Granit Bay board now with the faster memory running at the slower speed. Any of these options opens the path for upgrade to a Springdale board later.

Then there's the ever delayed 655 chipset which is currently being revised to support HT and 800MHz bus, but might support HT first and 800MHz bus in later revisions...