I want to know if adding a fax means physically connecting a fax machine with
the computer. If a fax machine is not needed, do I receive faxes via my
printer? How do I fax to others?

Thanks in advance, sorry for my noob questions...

Go to HELP and type FAX.
You send and receive with a fax modem connected to the phone line and the
fax program. No actual fax machine is used. A scanner can be used to input
documents or just create them. You can print if you wish. Nothing is
received via a printer. Others must have a fax machine or a computer with
fax capabilities.