What is wrong with borderlands 2?!?!

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
so i have borderlands 2. i had an hd6850 video card and it needed an upgrade. so i got a gtx 660 twin frozr oc edition. i love that it has physx and all that jazz but when i try to use it in bl2.....o my god... like 60 fps dropping to 2 fps. everything is maxed and it runs fine without physx. actually not fine. i get drops to 40 fps.i turn phys x to medium and all hell breaks loose. i boughthtis card to use phys x and now i cant. so mad. also my cpu usage is incredibally high. i check my nvidia panel to see if phys x was using the cpu, not gpu and it was on gpu. so why is this so bad??/

please anyone give me an idea.

current specs are:
MOBO: biostar ta790gx128m
CPU:phenomii x4 945 oc to 3.45
RAM:8 gigs ddr2
GPU:gtx660 oc

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
What res are you playing at?

I can max settings including physx with 50+fps @ 1280 x 1024 (on my GXT560) but I'd probably only see 30+ at 1920x1080.

I'm guessing its either too high a resolution or your CPU is holding you back. Oddly BL2 is currently my most CPU stressing game.

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

see thats just ridiculous... how can that game possibly tax a cpu that much. its just borderlands.... do u enjow that resoulution? i cant stand it. thanks for the reply though. ill try to lower the resolution. just goes to show how bad games are these days... the game is hard as anything an hardly any time was put inotoptimizing it.

but again thanks for the info

da22

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Like noise said BL2 is very CPU intensive!

i play it on my i5 with AMD6850 at 1080p no problems!

top tip is to change network setting to invite only or offline

Yeah I know how you feel, turn Physx down to medium, textures down also helps what helps the most is make sure AA/AF and DoF are completely off (AF is fine to have at 2x or 4x as its not very demanding)

But yeah physx in this game just annoys me to no end. Woulda been find if they had a physx option in between "Low" which is basically off and "Medium" Which is particles everywhere... Options to control the amount of blood and particles that shoot up would also be nice. For anyone who doesn't know low = 0 and medium = 20+ pebbles each time you shoot the ground. It doesn't sound bad but when you start using SMGs and dual machine guns it gets a little over the top as a performance hit.

Oh and protip for that first... or second... the one with the 2 explosive guys (boom boom?) Just turn physx off, don't even attempt that fight with it on. 2fps on medium.

(specs aren't great but do fine for everything that doesn't use physx :))
Athlon 2 x3 445
6870 1gb twin frozr 2
4gb ddr2
etc etc etc.

^Ignore all that, just saw you went from a 6870 to a 660... I should read before replying.

Anywho I would suggest reinstalling the game and see if that helps. I'm not sure if the game sees a GPU upgrade in terms of physx after its been installed. Thats my best guess.

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

ya man its killing me ho wbad this game is. my card can handle it i know it, my whole system can. just out of curiostiy how would u rate my system? i think its damn good lol. but i need to try the aa and af. how muc did that help cuz usually i use fxaa which hardly uses any power and the af i know from all other games maes no diff at all.

I editted my post. Honestly I think DoF was the real hitter, for me it raised my avg fps by
According to fraps (and keep in mind I changed it from I think 8x AF + DoF + textures to medium)

(after change) Avg: 39.505 - Min: 27 - Max: 61
(before change) Avg: 31.981 - Min: 19 - Max: 61

Uh... What? Sorry but seriously come one man hes using a phenom 2 x4 thats hardly garbage even by enthusiasts standards. Is it aging? yes a bit. His ram is fine, 8gb of ddr2 I see nothing wrong here. Hes not doing anything where ram speed is required in anyway. Theres a benchmark around here showing 1333 ddr3 to 2133 ddr3 is a less than 1fps difference. No matter the setting he should not be getting frame drops that drastically.

Don't count out older tech just for the simple reason its older.

He shouldn't get that low of performance according to this benchmark review: http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
You realize that you proof yourself wrong with the link you provided, right?

The CPU performance makes a huge difference in this game. Using the same GPU, there's almost a 30 fps difference between an i5 2500k @3.3 and a Phenom II x4 @3.1.

They are using a 680 and get 61 fps on average on a 2500k. There's no surprise about performance issues with the OPs hardware.

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/page6.html

Uh, I don't even see a phenom 2 x4 @3.1 on that list. I see an Athlon 2 x4 @3.1 which would be slower than his phenom 2 x4 @ 3.45ghz. Considering there is a phenom 2 x6 @ 3.3 and it is slower than the x4 We can almost guarantee that it doesn't use the extra 2 cores. And as thats on closer to the performance of his cpu (and on the same architecture) I feel it would be prudent to go off that.

Now swapping back over to this benchmark: http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/page5.html
You can see that even on a 560 which is significantly weaker then his card turning physx on (high/low) is only a performance decrease of about 10fps. (I am ignoring the cpu they are using as for physx calculations its irrelevant)

However on this users machine he should not be goign from a stable 40fps on low to a 2fps with it on medium. Thats the issue I was getting at, I feel it is an issue with his setup and I found simply calling it a "CPU bottleneck" and leaving it at that wasn't really solving the issue. Do I think his pc could max this game out? NOPE~ but at the same time I feel somethings off with the way his physx rendering is going about its business.

An upgrade would be a good idea and I whole heartedly agree if he has the funding to rightly do so but for now I want to know whats going on.

I've already instructed him to try turning down some settings and see how his performance increases so hopefully that should shed some light on this "issue". (/crosses fingers)

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
i know this game is very cpu heavy. bad coding thats all. its not that complex of a game, not like BF3. my cpu is not weak by any means. if it can handle bf3 at ultra settings at 45 fps it can handle this game. i know games are diff but there has to be something else going on here. i will try the textures and all the other suggestions though. as for the intel guy. no i dont have 400 dollars to blow on a new system.