Case Insulation??? Should it be vented?

EvenFlow

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
Hi guys, I recently purchased a new case, it has holes on both the left and right hand panels. I remember reading that it is better for a case to be totally insulated. Obviously the noise levels are higher at the moment, is it better for a case to be totally insulated or vented?

Thanks guys,

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Sure there may be slightly more noise, but your case DOES need ventilation. How do you think the hot air gets out and cool air gets in?

Im assuming here that your case has at least 1 casefan... with it pushing air out there must be some way for air to get in.

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>

EvenFlow

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002
Thanks for the reply, does make sense, reason I asked is because I am looking to fit noise dampening sheets to the inside of the case, I'll obviously need to put holes in the sheets but that might end up making the hole job useless.

Another question, at the moment I have a case fan ( 80mm )on the left hand panel pulling air out direct above the cpu, the case has place for 2 more fans, one at the back ( 50mm ) and one in the front ( 80mm ), which of these fans should be blowing air in/out?

Thanks again.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Ive seen a couple of reviews floating around the web, and generally sound adsorbtion material makes little difference. Often its better getting quieter fans or rearranging fan flow in the case. As your case has a front, side and rear fan hole you can safely cover over the holes without worrying about blocking airflow.

The classical example of case airflow is in at the front, out at the back. But yours is a tad unusual with a small 50mm fan at the back.

Personally i would have the side fan blowing in, directing cool air to the cpu fan. Then have the rear fan sucking out in tandem with the PSU.

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
It isn't the number of fans, nor the number of holes in the case that matters. It is all about airflow through your case.

The object of any air cooling system is to get as much cold air into the case, slam into as many objects inside the case as possible, and then exit the case as fast as it came in.

If you are really into the case cooling thing. You might be better off cutting another hole in the side of case. Mount another fan. Have all three fans 80mm fans the same in your case. Same CFM, Size, Speed, etc. Have the two on the side blow air onto your components and have the one in the front and the back draw air out of the case.

See, this way the airflow into and out of the case should be fairly equal. Also you will have the coldest air hitting components and taking the heat energy from them and then exiting the case via the front and the back.

Now your PSU will help to equilize the airflow system but if there are any shortfalls, that is why there are excess holes in your case.

<font color=red><b>Come to the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new">THG Gathering/LAN party</A>