FlyingCupHolder

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
So I am buying a rig that will play Skyrim pretty decently. My question is: Are there some must have mods or performance boosters that will increase performance and everyone should be doing whether they have strong rigs or not?

Btw here is my rig

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4 Ghz Quad Core

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Corsair 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB)

MSI R7950-2PMD3GD5/OC

Samsung S223BB SATA

Corsair Force 3 120 GB

MSI Z77A-G43

600W Corsair GS600 V2

Aerocool Strike-X One ATX

Hi :)

I own computer shops that build gamers machines....

There is only ONE mod that helps....

Pay a LOT of money for your graphics card.... the MORE you pay the better games you get...SO YOUR CARD as an example is a GOOD card but NOT a great card.....

All the best Brett :)

combine1237

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I think your rig looks fine to play skyrim on. As mine:

CPU: Intel Core I-5 3570K
MOBO: MSI Z77A G-43
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 64MB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) 1866mhz
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600w
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 7870
BD-ROM: LG Black 14X...,
Case: Cooler Master Half 912

plays it just fine at minnimum 60fps vanilla with no oc.

Do wish I got a nicer mobo though.

Addition:

Brett is right though, a better card will produce better results, and the more mods that are visually intensive the better the card you need. Skyrim tends to run better with ati cards although this seems to be one of the few games that does. If you really want a good card that will last, in my opinion not saying this is right, I would say get at least a gtx 670 or 7970.
And if you are dead set for ati and can wait a while, their new generation might come out soon.

Finally, yes, there are mods that can improve the performance of skyrim on your system like skyboost, but I notice that when using many of the graphic enhancing mods they tend to cancel out and make it as if they were not there.

:eek: A 7950 is extremely good. Its not the best of the best but so what? its the 2nd to the top tier card in amds line up... I am using an Athlon 2 x3 + 6870 and 4 gb ddr2 ram Honestly it maxes out skyrim just fine. I added the lite version of "Texture pack combiner" still it runs at around 30~ fps minimum. Indoors its higher, when theres dragons it can drop but thats just because I am using not a very powerful setup.

Skyrim does not take a lot to max out, at all.

As for your question. For strong rigs I highly recommend the Texture Pack Combiner. It just makes the game look that much better. (lets face it vanilla doesn't look the best.)

dawei

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
7950 is more than enough to run Skyrim. My 7870 can run it at max graphics, AA and FA settings and never dip below 60fps. However, if you're using a HD texture pack or an open cities mod, the 7950 might be the better choice.

FlyingCupHolder

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Awesome, thanks for the info

Another thing: I am debating if I should get a 120Hz monitor, I currently have a 60Hz monitor or atleast I think I do because I cant seem to find any info on this monitor, Samsung T24550.

I have only used an HDMI cable from my laptop to the monitor and from what I have gathered reading about it, is that HDMI cant display 120Hz. What cable do you use to get 120Hz?