help!! can't add a network printer

When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows cannot
connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
"connect to this printer" option, typing "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
message.
I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a different
computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
without success. Please, somebody help!
5 answers Last reply
More about help network printer

    very that net view \\computername returns the printersharename with type
    Print

    D:\>net view \\ntprint
    Shared resources at \\ntprint

    Server 2003 SP1

    Share name Type Used as Comment

    ---
    24_2046 Print 1200dpi
    24_corp0047 Print HP LaserJet 8100
    24_corp0056 Print HP LaserJet 8100
    24_CORP0078 Print HP 5Si
    24_CORP0085 Print HP 5Si
    26B-1011-A Print DCA# 1150807 - Bldg 26, rm 1011

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows
    cannot
    > connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
    > "connect to this printer" option, typing
    "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
    > also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
    > message.
    > I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
    > files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
    different
    > computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
    > I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
    > without success. Please, somebody help!

    For anyone out there who might be enduring the same problem, I finally solved
    (at least, right now it's solved) my problem as follows, in this order:
    first installed SP2 on the only unit still running SP1; I blew away all
    network connections (wired and wireless) and the local network; I then began
    from scratch to create new wired & wireless connections on each unit, and
    finally reran the Network Setup Wizard on each unit.

    "Ro" wrote:
    When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows cannot
    connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
    "connect to this printer" option, typing "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
    also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
    message.
    I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
    files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
    different
    computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
    I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
    without success. Please, somebody help!

    Is the PC with the printer on a dynamic or static IP address?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows
    > cannot
    > connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
    > "connect to this printer" option, typing
    > "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
    > also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
    > message.
    > I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
    > files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
    > different
    > computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
    > I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
    > without success. Please, somebody help!

    I have similar problem after migrating to XP and installing SP2. These are
    network printers with Fixed IP address the local printer is O K

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Is the PC with the printer on a dynamic or static IP address?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows
    > > cannot
    > > connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
    > > "connect to this printer" option, typing
    > > "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
    > > also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
    > > message.
    > > I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
    > > files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
    > > different
    > > computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
    > > I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
    > > without success. Please, somebody help!

    I just wanted to add notify of reply

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Is the PC with the printer on a dynamic or static IP address?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows
    > > cannot
    > > connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
    > > "connect to this printer" option, typing
    > > "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
    > > also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
    > > message.
    > > I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
    > > files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
    > > different
    > > computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
    > > I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
    > > without success. Please, somebody help!

Computers Network Printer Windows XP