help!! can't add a network printer

August 30, 2005 3:39:48 PM

When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows cannot
connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
"connect to this printer" option, typing "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
message.
I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a different
computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
without success. Please, somebody help!

More about : add network printer

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 4:17:57 PM

very that net view \\computername returns the printersharename with type
Print

D:\>net view \\ntprint
Shared resources at \\ntprint

Server 2003 SP1

Share name Type Used as Comment

---
24_2046 Print 1200dpi
24_corp0047 Print HP LaserJet 8100
24_corp0056 Print HP LaserJet 8100
24_CORP0078 Print HP 5Si
24_CORP0085 Print HP 5Si
26B-1011-A Print DCA# 1150807 - Bldg 26, rm 1011

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows
cannot
> connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
> "connect to this printer" option, typing
"\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
> also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
> message.
> I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
> files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
different
> computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
> I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
> without success. Please, somebody help!
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:59:03 PM

For anyone out there who might be enduring the same problem, I finally solved
(at least, right now it's solved) my problem as follows, in this order:
first installed SP2 on the only unit still running SP1; I blew away all
network connections (wired and wireless) and the local network; I then began
from scratch to create new wired & wireless connections on each unit, and
finally reran the Network Setup Wizard on each unit.

"Ro" wrote:
When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows cannot
connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
"connect to this printer" option, typing "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
message.
I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
different
computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
without success. Please, somebody help!
August 31, 2005 2:07:10 AM

Is the PC with the printer on a dynamic or static IP address?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows
> cannot
> connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
> "connect to this printer" option, typing
> "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
> also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
> message.
> I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
> files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
> different
> computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
> I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
> without success. Please, somebody help!
August 31, 2005 4:22:04 PM

I have similar problem after migrating to XP and installing SP2. These are
network printers with Fixed IP address the local printer is O K

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Is the PC with the printer on a dynamic or static IP address?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Ro" <ro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to add a network printer, I get the error message "windows
> > cannot
> > connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed." I used the
> > "connect to this printer" option, typing
> > "\\192.168.x.xxx\printersharename",
> > also tried typing the computer name instead of IP address, same error
> > message.
> > I have no problem pinging the computer in question, nor accessing its
> > files. No problem adding a different network printer attached to a
> > different
> > computer, either. I'm using a router with wireless access point.
> > I have read just about every thread in this and the Wireless sections,
> > without success. Please, somebody help!

August 31, 2005 4:55:03 PM

I just wanted to add notify of reply

!