Zones with Guards

Having developed a new charm based killing tactic, I'm looking for
places to deploy it. Essentially, the idea is to find mobs who
naturally hate each other, one of which doesn't hate me (a "guard"), and
use that antipathy to get the killing done for me.

So, what I'm looking for from you people are suggestions of zones where
this sort of thing exists, with sufficiently high level mobs to make the
tactic worthwhile. Proximity also helps, it won't be all that useful to
have "guards" in one corner of the zone and the mobs they hate in the
far corner.

I started in Neth Lair, but at 29 the mobs were in the green to barely
dark blue range, good for experimenting, not good for really getting
good use from the plan.

I'm working now in Great Divide, where the Coldain hate the Giants and
their wolves (and vice versa, so if I was on the Giant team, I could use
the plan in reverse)

42 suggested Echo Caverns; I'm not sure whether he means FG side or Deep
side, on the FG side I think the mobs are going to be too low for me
at 30... but maybe not, I never really did much in Echo.

I recall in LOIO that the goblins hate the sarnaks... but lacking mem
blur I don't think I can really use that to my advantage as boths sides
hate me.

Where else?

Marus Seru guards will fight some of the mobs there and not others.
Dawnshroud guards will fight some of the mobs and not others... how
about the TM guards? Vampires will be too high level for me to land
charm on at the moment, but I'm looking down the road for future targets
too.

Coldain guards in CC and in EW... I've run to coldain for rescue in both
places, plus had a roaming coldain down at tentacles come and KS me, it
would be good to put him to work!

More?

Midi, 30 bard
21 answers Last reply
More about zones guards

    Running a fine line here, using guards or mob aggro critters to "save" you
    has always been an accepted practice, however, using a non-aggro npc to do
    your fighting for you, probably against targets you would otherwise be
    unable to challange normally is seriously frowned upon. Although no direct
    action may be taken against you by a GM, you will probably find that either
    the hate list or combat ability of the guard you are using will be modified
    to prevent a questionable "exploit".

    The last example of this I saw, was the change in aggro status of the guard
    near Shadowhaven zone line in the upper level Echo side. She was regularly
    used to drag Fireclaw down to where she was able to take it down to about
    20% health before getting herself killed. Last few times I've seen people
    try this, she has ignored the big beetle leaving the player scuttling to
    zone line themselves.

    Please consider other people and their future need of protection that you
    may alter for the sake of a few days xp.

    As a side note, get thee some sow potions and go kite in EW, lots of space
    to run around, virtually empty zone and still decent xp depending on what
    you're hunting all the way up to middle 40's

    Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote:
    >Having developed a new charm based killing tactic, I'm looking for
    >places to deploy it. Essentially, the idea is to find mobs who
    >naturally hate each other, one of which doesn't hate me (a "guard"), and
    >use that antipathy to get the killing done for me.

    This may or may not be an exploit - it'll depend on how effective it is, how
    widely it gets used, and the mood of the GM who sees it. There have been
    other tactics that involved getting xp/loot from mobs killing each other
    which have resulted in suspensions, permakilled mobs, and code changes.

    >So, what I'm looking for from you people are suggestions of zones where
    >this sort of thing exists, with sufficiently high level mobs to make the
    >tactic worthwhile.

    Describe the tactic, so we can have a better sense of requirements (and maybe
    even help refine it, or let you know whether it's been deemed an exploit or
    not).

    There aren't many mid- or high-level zones with guards that work this way, for
    obvious reasons. Have the lizards outside CT greened out to you? Ogre guards
    should fight them. Likewise the spectres outside PoFear. Both are a bit of a
    pull, though. Cyclopses in OOT, maybe as well.

    >42 suggested Echo Caverns; I'm not sure whether he means FG side or Deep
    > side, on the FG side I think the mobs are going to be too low for me
    >at 30... but maybe not, I never really did much in Echo.

    Nor I. FG may work for you, though.

    >I recall in LOIO that the goblins hate the sarnaks... but lacking mem
    >blur I don't think I can really use that to my advantage as boths sides
    >hate me.

    Depending on your plan, you may not need memblur. One standard charm tactic
    is to make 2 things fight, break charm when both are near death, nuke off the
    remaining HP for full XP on both.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    In Maru Seru, guards will fight lightcrawlers and zelniaks. The desert
    guys will fight lightcrawlers and zelniaks too.

    In DSP, the rockhoppers will aggro on the smugglers and the cave guys
    (down by ME). The Sanctus Seru guards don't fight anything. I did
    notice that a bloodstarved wolf did aggro one of the npcs in the house
    between the rockhoppers and Maiden's Eye tunnel, fyi.

    In Echo Caverns, the bulk of the mobs on the Deep side will start to go
    LB around late 40s or so. There is a group of four underbulks who are
    mostly lower level on a lower level (down an elevator) that the guards
    will fight. The guards and miners will aggro the underbulks and fungal
    fiend (looking mobs), but you have to be patient. It takes a while
    (probably just a few seconds, but they might seem very long seconds)
    for them to notice. Never took a stonegrabber to the guards (no need),
    but they drop fairly nice plat consistently. I used to train the two
    named to the guards (thought the named were too tough for me). It's
    been awhile so I don't know if anythings been changed.

    "RangerGirl" <kris@twoplates.f9.co.uk> wrote in

    > Running a fine line here, using guards or mob aggro critters to "save"
    > you has always been an accepted practice, however, using a non-aggro
    > npc to do your fighting for you, probably against targets you would
    > otherwise be unable to challange normally is seriously frowned upon.
    > Although no direct action may be taken against you by a GM, you will
    > probably find that either the hate list or combat ability of the guard
    > you are using will be modified to prevent a questionable "exploit".
    >
    > The last example of this I saw, was the change in aggro status of the
    > guard near Shadowhaven zone line in the upper level Echo side. She was
    > regularly used to drag Fireclaw down to where she was able to take it
    > down to about 20% health before getting herself killed. Last few times
    > I've seen people try this, she has ignored the big beetle leaving the
    > player scuttling to zone line themselves.
    >
    > Please consider other people and their future need of protection that
    > you may alter for the sake of a few days xp.
    >
    > As a side note, get thee some sow potions and go kite in EW, lots of
    > space to run around, virtually empty zone and still decent xp
    > depending on what you're hunting all the way up to middle 40's

    He is in a guild that requires all members to use nothing but equipment
    that they can get at their level, they are not allowed to purchase items
    in the bazaar. They must hunt for, quest for, make their own equipment.
    He is the highest level character in the guild at level 30, so there are
    probably no shaman that can whip up sow potions for him in the guild. I
    don't recall all the exact details of the rules they play under, so I may
    have gotten some of it wrong, but that is the basic concept.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    hmm, bard and selos with a half decent twist or melody use then . . . . it's
    possible to get a nice set of combine drums from Katta Castellum, that would
    be more than useful in adding damage for just a few plat off of vendor. The
    sow potions just make life easier, but I spend a lot of time without them on
    alt, just draws out kiting time, however, that's just nit picking over a
    helpfull suggestion as to places to hunt where there is no dilemma over a
    possible cheat as was first queried.

    In article <gcl1u2-61d.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, dagon@dagon.net says...
    > Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote:
    > >Having developed a new charm based killing tactic, I'm looking for
    > >places to deploy it. Essentially, the idea is to find mobs who
    > >naturally hate each other, one of which doesn't hate me (a "guard"), and
    > >use that antipathy to get the killing done for me.
    >
    > This may or may not be an exploit - it'll depend on how effective it is, how
    > widely it gets used, and the mood of the GM who sees it. There have been
    > other tactics that involved getting xp/loot from mobs killing each other
    > which have resulted in suspensions, permakilled mobs, and code changes.
    >
    > >So, what I'm looking for from you people are suggestions of zones where
    > >this sort of thing exists, with sufficiently high level mobs to make the
    > >tactic worthwhile.
    >
    > Describe the tactic, so we can have a better sense of requirements (and maybe
    > even help refine it, or let you know whether it's been deemed an exploit or
    > not).
    >
    > There aren't many mid- or high-level zones with guards that work this way, for
    > obvious reasons. Have the lizards outside CT greened out to you? Ogre guards
    > should fight them. Likewise the spectres outside PoFear. Both are a bit of a
    > pull, though. Cyclopses in OOT, maybe as well.
    >
    > >42 suggested Echo Caverns; I'm not sure whether he means FG side or Deep
    > > side, on the FG side I think the mobs are going to be too low for me
    > >at 30... but maybe not, I never really did much in Echo.
    >
    > Nor I. FG may work for you, though.

    I did FG side. I used to hunt The Shissar thing in there with the help
    of the gaurds.

    > >I recall in LOIO that the goblins hate the sarnaks... but lacking mem
    > >blur I don't think I can really use that to my advantage as boths sides
    > >hate me.
    >
    > Depending on your plan, you may not need memblur. One standard charm tactic
    > is to make 2 things fight, break charm when both are near death, nuke off the
    > remaining HP for full XP on both.

    Might as well just swarm kite then though. :)

    At any rate the no-jboots thing should be fairly short term. I'd be
    focussed on either getting a pair of jboots or tboots asap. I can raise
    a few hundred pp a night without really trying at 25-30th level just
    selling stuff to the venders. TBoots would only a take a couple weeks of
    leisurely farming. You'd just have to switch priorities from xp to cash.

    RangerGirl wrote:
    > Running a fine line here, using guards or mob aggro critters to "save" you
    > has always been an accepted practice, however, using a non-aggro npc to do
    > your fighting for you, probably against targets you would otherwise be
    > unable to challange normally is seriously frowned upon. Although no direct
    > action may be taken against you by a GM, you will probably find that either
    > the hate list or combat ability of the guard you are using will be modified
    > to prevent a questionable "exploit".

    My experience in the past month, since my return to the game, suggests
    that I could stand naked in POK using an exploit to kill the vendors
    there at first level, and I still wouldnt' see a GM; I've not only not
    seen a single one, but I've not heard a single person say that a
    petition was answered (and numerous people have complained long and hard
    about them NOT being answered). However, I don't avoid exploits merely
    for fear of getting caught, if the general consensus is that this is a
    "bad thing" I'd be happy to give it up, after all, I've already had most
    of the amusement out of discovering it in the first place.

    > The last example of this I saw, was the change in aggro status of the guard
    > near Shadowhaven zone line in the upper level Echo side. She was regularly
    > used to drag Fireclaw down to where she was able to take it down to about
    > 20% health before getting herself killed. Last few times I've seen people
    > try this, she has ignored the big beetle leaving the player scuttling to
    > zone line themselves.

    If they change the aggro status of the coldain to giants, they're going
    to run into some serious problems with some of the ring quests, where
    IIRC the most difficult part is preventing the damn coldain from
    engaging mobs they have no hope of killing!

    > Please consider other people and their future need of protection that you
    > may alter for the sake of a few days xp.

    Well, I'm not killing the guards, or at least rarely so (never killed
    one in NL, occaisionally lose one in GD). And I've almost never seen
    anyone running to the coldain for protection, even way back in the days
    when Velious was the latest release... they are too far from the giants,
    if you can make it to them, you can make it to the zone line, too. And
    they are plentiful; they exist in the same order of magnitude as the
    giants and drakkal wolves. AND, they are quite legitimately treated as
    prey by people who are working on giant faction instead of coldain
    faction. Lastly, I'll note that I'm seeing about 5 people in the entire
    zone, max, most much higher level than me; GD just isn't rocking these days!

    I agree, this is a potential item of concern, killing off guards which
    are actually used as protection would be rude, although I don't think
    thats actually the same thing as cheating.

    > As a side note, get thee some sow potions and go kite in EW, lots of space
    > to run around, virtually empty zone and still decent xp depending on what
    > you're hunting all the way up to middle 40's

    SOW potions, although extremely handy for a bard, aren't allowable
    within the terms of the ED oath; I'm sworn to use nothing but things
    I've looted, quested or bought from the unlimited stocks on vendors.
    Yes, SOW potions would fit within the "trade skills" exception: if I buy
    or loot the ingrediants myself, I can have another ED member make them
    for me... but ED doesn't thus far have a shaman capable of making SOW
    potions.

    Kiting, as a 30 bard, isn't much of an option, I've got ONE ranged DOT,
    and of course Bellow, which is very short range. Yes, I've done it,
    heck I've done it with just Bellow, but its slow going indeed. Thinking
    back to my previous bard, I recall that even with twisting 5 dots (using
    TBoots for speed instead of selos, or later using the long duration
    selos) and a significantly better drum than my current untwinked self
    can field, chant kiting was always slow going compared to using charm or
    fear kiting.

    I certainly can, however, kill mobs in EW by various other means, and
    have. Bards are the swiss army knife of classes; I've got a half dozen
    ways to hunt and do well... this was more along the means of an
    experiment with new (well new to me anyway) ways. I've been enjoying it
    because it's something different, and it does have its unique
    advantages, but its far from foolproof and actually not the most
    efficient means of gathering exp (swarm charm kiting, done properly,
    will usually be faster even if you don't count the time spent running
    the victim to the guards... which is significant).

    Midi

    "Lance Berg" <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in message

    > RangerGirl wrote:
    >> Running a fine line here, using guards or mob aggro critters to "save"
    >> you has always been an accepted practice, however, using a non-aggro npc
    >> to do your fighting for you, probably against targets you would otherwise
    >> be unable to challange normally is seriously frowned upon. Although no
    >> direct action may be taken against you by a GM, you will probably find
    >> that either the hate list or combat ability of the guard you are using
    >> will be modified to prevent a questionable "exploit".
    >>
    > My experience in the past month, since my return to the game, suggests
    > that I could stand naked in POK using an exploit to kill the vendors there
    > at first level, and I still wouldnt' see a GM;

    Indeed. I saw a shout in PoK last night by a char named Shamanseller! It was
    selling a high level shaman account and was there for quite a while.

    I /report these clowns every time that I see them, but it's apparently not
    much of a deterrent because they keep coming back.

    /shrug

    Mike W.

    Graeme Faelban wrote:

    > "RangerGirl" <kris@twoplates.f9.co.uk> wrote in

    >>As a side note, get thee some sow potions and go kite in EW, lots of
    >>space to run around, virtually empty zone and still decent xp
    >>depending on what you're hunting all the way up to middle 40's
    >>

    > He is in a guild that requires all members to use nothing but equipment
    > that they can get at their level, they are not allowed to purchase items
    > in the bazaar. They must hunt for, quest for, make their own equipment.
    > He is the highest level character in the guild at level 30, so there are
    > probably no shaman that can whip up sow potions for him in the guild. I
    > don't recall all the exact details of the rules they play under, so I may
    > have gotten some of it wrong, but that is the basic concept.

    Yes, the "make your own" part allows for acquiring the ingrediants and
    having a fellow guild member do the actual making part... but just as
    you suspected, there is no such person available thus far.

    Midi

    RangerGirl wrote:

    > hmm, bard and selos with a half decent twist or melody use then . . . . it's
    > possible to get a nice set of combine drums from Katta Castellum, that would
    > be more than useful in adding damage for just a few plat off of vendor. The
    > sow potions just make life easier, but I spend a lot of time without them on
    > alt, just draws out kiting time, however, that's just nit picking over a
    > helpfull suggestion as to places to hunt where there is no dilemma over a
    > possible cheat as was first queried.

    Selos works, as does chains... in fact I've done some pure bellow kiting
    with no run speed modifiers at all, some changes to run speed back about
    a year ago mean that mobs are no longer about 5% faster than PC's, so if
    you start with a lead you can retain it with a little care.

    On the other hand, at 30 kiting isn't a very good option for a bard;
    remember, we're looking at the short range DD Bellow and the decent
    Fufil's as the only sources of ranged damage. With my current drum that
    means
    22
    22+15
    22+15
    22
    22+15
    22+15
    22
    assuming I don't have to maintain a run speed modifier... but also
    assuming I manage to loop just right to maintain bellows range at all
    times while staying out of melee range. Admittedly, a huge improvement over
    15
    15
    15
    15
    15...
    But its sure doesn't hold a candle to stacking DOTs.

    I'd rather stick to good honest charm killing, even one on one thats a
    MUCH higher DPS, as I get double the DPS of one mob, and mostly I kill
    mobs that are red to me. Without a SOW potion or something along those
    lines, I'm not going to charm swarm, as I'll end up losing more exp on
    the "whoops" deaths than I will gain swarming... but done right, its
    more like 5 times the DPS of a single mob; and better than anything
    anyone not twinked to the gills is likely to be able to lay down at my
    level.

    Midi

    In alt.games.everquest, Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote:

    >there at first level, and I still wouldnt' see a GM; I've not only not
    >seen a single one, but I've not heard a single person say that a
    >petition was answered (and numerous people have complained long and hard
    >about them NOT being answered).

    People rarely report good news and almost always inflate bad news.

    That's life.

    Happy people don't moan.

    I can comment on three specific instances recently where petitions were
    raised by members of my guild, and answered in a reasonably timely manner
    by GM's to the player's satisfaction, including returning items handed to
    pets by accident, for example.

    --
    Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
    Recommended Author : David Gemmell

    In article <430f48c6$0$38040$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>,
    Tony Evans <${tony}$@darkstorm.co.uk> wrote:

    >Happy people don't moan.

    They do if they're *really* happy. Ever seen Debbie Does Dallas?

    "the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
    > In article <430f48c6$0$38040$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>,
    > Tony Evans <${tony}$@darkstorm.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>Happy people don't moan.
    >>

    > They do if they're *really* happy. Ever seen Debbie Does Dallas?

    No, but I saw Fironae Does Freeport ;)

    Mike W.

    In article <Z7KdnUhr4dh02ZLeRVn-iA@dejazzd.com>, emporer@dejazzd.com
    says...

    > RangerGirl wrote:
    > > Running a fine line here, using guards or mob aggro critters to "save" you
    > > has always been an accepted practice, however, using a non-aggro npc to do
    > > your fighting for you, probably against targets you would otherwise be
    > > unable to challange normally is seriously frowned upon. Although no direct
    > > action may be taken against you by a GM, you will probably find that either
    > > the hate list or combat ability of the guard you are using will be modified
    > > to prevent a questionable "exploit".
    > >
    > My experience in the past month, since my return to the game, suggests
    > that I could stand naked in POK using an exploit to kill the vendors
    > there at first level, and I still wouldnt' see a GM; I've not only not
    > seen a single one, but I've not heard a single person say that a
    > petition was answered (and numerous people have complained long and hard
    > about them NOT being answered).

    I've dealt with GMs thrice in the last 3 months. Petitions were resolved
    within 24 hours all 3 times.

    > > Please consider other people and their future need of protection that you
    > > may alter for the sake of a few days xp.
    > >
    > Well, I'm not killing the guards, or at least rarely so (never killed
    > one in NL, occaisionally lose one in GD). And I've almost never seen
    > anyone running to the coldain for protection, even way back in the days
    > when Velious was the latest release... they are too far from the giants,
    > if you can make it to them, you can make it to the zone line, too. And
    > they are plentiful; they exist in the same order of magnitude as the
    > giants and drakkal wolves. AND, they are quite legitimately treated as
    > prey by people who are working on giant faction instead of coldain
    > faction. Lastly, I'll note that I'm seeing about 5 people in the entire
    > zone, max, most much higher level than me; GD just isn't rocking these days!

    xp isn't great in there these days. :/

    Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in

    > RangerGirl wrote:
    >> Running a fine line here, using guards or mob aggro critters to
    >> "save" you has always been an accepted practice, however, using a
    >> non-aggro npc to do your fighting for you, probably against targets
    >> you would otherwise be unable to challange normally is seriously
    >> frowned upon. Although no direct action may be taken against you by a
    >> GM, you will probably find that either the hate list or combat
    >> ability of the guard you are using will be modified to prevent a
    >> questionable "exploit".
    >>
    > My experience in the past month, since my return to the game, suggests
    > that I could stand naked in POK using an exploit to kill the vendors
    > there at first level, and I still wouldnt' see a GM; I've not only not
    > seen a single one, but I've not heard a single person say that a
    > petition was answered (and numerous people have complained long and
    > hard about them NOT being answered). However, I don't avoid exploits
    > merely for fear of getting caught, if the general consensus is that
    > this is a "bad thing" I'd be happy to give it up, after all, I've
    > already had most of the amusement out of discovering it in the first
    > place.

    I had a petition answered a week ago, about a day after I submitted it.
    I was not happy with the answer, but, someone did take the time to
    actually look at my petition, and answer it.

    <snip>
    >> As a side note, get thee some sow potions and go kite in EW, lots of
    >> space to run around, virtually empty zone and still decent xp
    >> depending on what you're hunting all the way up to middle 40's
    >>
    > SOW potions, although extremely handy for a bard, aren't allowable
    > within the terms of the ED oath; I'm sworn to use nothing but things
    > I've looted, quested or bought from the unlimited stocks on vendors.
    > Yes, SOW potions would fit within the "trade skills" exception: if I
    > buy or loot the ingrediants myself, I can have another ED member make
    > them for me... but ED doesn't thus far have a shaman capable of making
    > SOW potions.

    TBoots are probably your most likely answer as someone else posted. They
    should be achievable at level 30, might be a pain though, that is a lot
    of cash to raise at that level, and having never bought them myself, I am
    not even sure exactly where the gnome that sells them is.

    <snip>

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 37 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>

    Graeme Faelban wrote:

    > TBoots are probably your most likely answer as someone else posted. They
    > should be achievable at level 30, might be a pain though, that is a lot
    > of cash to raise at that level, and having never bought them myself, I am
    > not even sure exactly where the gnome that sells them is.

    I own several pair, on various characters, they are nearly as useful as
    JBoots and MUCH easier to get (got one pair of JBoots for one of my
    characters, and helped a couple other people get their's, I really don't
    find them worth the effort). On a bard they are more useful than on
    most, as bards don't have to stop running to activate them (or any other
    clicky)

    Getting to the mob in Sol A who sells them can be a little tricky, as
    there are see invis mobs in the way, if the place isn't being camped out
    for exp; lull can help, but its also fairly crowded with regular mobs,
    and the corridors are twisty, so finding a spot where you can lull a see
    invis mob while not exposing yourself to the regular ones can be... dicey.

    Still, that won't be as much of a concern as will getting that kind of
    cash together, working strictly on a selling to vendors basis; I can't
    go farm spiderling silks or anything like that. I've never really had
    to farm money at this level before without access to sales to players...
    the only serious option that comes to mind is the HG one, as cliched as
    that is.

    Midi

    In article <WcmdnQW3BcN3JJLeRVn-sg@dejazzd.com>, emporer@dejazzd.com
    says...

    > Graeme Faelban wrote:
    >

    > > TBoots are probably your most likely answer as someone else posted. They
    > > should be achievable at level 30, might be a pain though, that is a lot
    > > of cash to raise at that level, and having never bought them myself, I am
    > > not even sure exactly where the gnome that sells them is.
    > >
    > I own several pair, on various characters, they are nearly as useful as
    > JBoots and MUCH easier to get (got one pair of JBoots for one of my
    > characters, and helped a couple other people get their's, I really don't
    > find them worth the effort). On a bard they are more useful than on
    > most, as bards don't have to stop running to activate them (or any other
    > clicky)
    >
    > Getting to the mob in Sol A who sells them can be a little tricky, as
    > there are see invis mobs in the way, if the place isn't being camped out
    > for exp; lull can help, but its also fairly crowded with regular mobs,
    > and the corridors are twisty, so finding a spot where you can lull a see
    > invis mob while not exposing yourself to the regular ones can be... dicey.

    Yeah, but a duo should be able to make the trip easily. I held king room
    in SolA at 25th with a Pali friend. (I had a bard, both characters would
    have fit within your guilds rules if it had been around at the time... I
    was wearing quested newbie armour had bogling weapons, and was farming
    the lambant bits at the time, pali was wearing the Deep Sea Mail stuff
    for Eru palis -- the bp from Mugglewump. and the matching legs/arms; not
    sure whether he'd finished questing Ghoulebane at the time...)

    Getting to the gnome was already trivial at that point.

    > Still, that won't be as much of a concern as will getting that kind of
    > cash together, working strictly on a selling to vendors basis; I can't
    > go farm spiderling silks or anything like that. I've never really had
    > to farm money at this level before without access to sales to players...
    > the only serious option that comes to mind is the HG one, as cliched as
    > that is.

    Specters in Oasis are probably doable too...they're nice and slow so not
    having sow is less of an issue, and the scythes they drop range in value
    from a gold for a rusty to a dozen pp for a regular. They tend to be
    easier than giants, imo, and the xp will be pretty solid too.

    Hunting in SolA itself is also pretty good... FS drops like water in
    there.

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:54:56 -0400, Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com>
    wrote:

    >Graeme Faelban wrote:
    >

    >> TBoots are probably your most likely answer as someone else posted. They
    >> should be achievable at level 30, might be a pain though, that is a lot
    >> of cash to raise at that level, and having never bought them myself, I am
    >> not even sure exactly where the gnome that sells them is.
    >>
    >I own several pair, on various characters, they are nearly as useful as
    >JBoots and MUCH easier to get (got one pair of JBoots for one of my
    >characters, and helped a couple other people get their's, I really don't
    >find them worth the effort). On a bard they are more useful than on
    >most, as bards don't have to stop running to activate them (or any other
    >clicky)
    >
    >Getting to the mob in Sol A who sells them can be a little tricky, as
    >there are see invis mobs in the way, if the place isn't being camped out
    >for exp; lull can help, but its also fairly crowded with regular mobs,
    >and the corridors are twisty, so finding a spot where you can lull a see
    >invis mob while not exposing yourself to the regular ones can be... dicey.
    >
    >Still, that won't be as much of a concern as will getting that kind of
    >cash together, working strictly on a selling to vendors basis; I can't
    >go farm spiderling silks or anything like that. I've never really had
    >to farm money at this level before without access to sales to players...
    >the only serious option that comes to mind is the HG one, as cliched as
    >that is.

    Try the Pandas in Stonebrunt if your rules dont allow to sell in the
    bazaar.I found they drop amazinlgy often a Mithril Amulet and gems
    in the same price range,maybe at the same time you can quest for
    "Wakizashi of the Frozen Sky" 22/6 with 80 damage proc 1hander,
    which maybe can be an update for one of your guildmates under
    the rules you are playing.
    Of course this wont be great cash as farming spiderling silks.

    Melforge 55 Ranger

    "RangerGirl" <kris@twoplates.f9.co.uk> wrote in message

    > The last example of this I saw, was the change in aggro status of the
    > guard near Shadowhaven zone line in the upper level Echo side. She was
    > regularly used to drag Fireclaw down to where she was able to take it down
    > to about 20% health before getting herself killed. Last few times I've
    > seen people try this, she has ignored the big beetle leaving the player
    > scuttling to zone line themselves.

    As of last week that still worked.

    > Having developed a new charm based killing tactic, I'm looking for places
    > to deploy it. Essentially, the idea is to find mobs who naturally hate
    > each other, one of which doesn't hate me (a "guard"), and use that
    > antipathy to get the killing done for me.
    >
    > So, what I'm looking for from you people are suggestions of zones where
    > this sort of thing exists, with sufficiently high level mobs to make the
    > tactic worthwhile. Proximity also helps, it won't be all that useful to
    > have "guards" in one corner of the zone and the mobs they hate in the far
    > corner.
    >
    > I started in Neth Lair, but at 29 the mobs were in the green to barely
    > dark blue range, good for experimenting, not good for really getting good
    > use from the plan.
    >
    > I'm working now in Great Divide, where the Coldain hate the Giants and
    > their wolves (and vice versa, so if I was on the Giant team, I could use
    > the plan in reverse)
    >
    > 42 suggested Echo Caverns; I'm not sure whether he means FG side or Deep
    > side, on the FG side I think the mobs are going to be too low for me at
    > 30... but maybe not, I never really did much in Echo.
    >
    > I recall in LOIO that the goblins hate the sarnaks... but lacking mem blur
    > I don't think I can really use that to my advantage as boths sides hate
    > me.
    >
    > Where else?
    >
    > Marus Seru guards will fight some of the mobs there and not others.
    > Dawnshroud guards will fight some of the mobs and not others... how about
    > the TM guards? Vampires will be too high level for me to land charm on at
    > the moment, but I'm looking down the road for future targets too.
    >
    > Coldain guards in CC and in EW... I've run to coldain for rescue in both
    > places, plus had a roaming coldain down at tentacles come and KS me, it
    > would be good to put him to work!
    >
    > More?
    >
    > Midi, 30 bard

    Zone with guards that kill the mobs: North Karana -- Not your fast
    experience zone, but the guards at the tower and at the stone bridge will
    kill just about any intruder. These could include the Hill Giants and the
    Griffon family. The guards at the tower are of somewhat low level, the ones
    at the stone bridge are a bit higher.

    In article <394fc$431300f4$d1cc6e9a$29230@snip.allthenewsgroups.com>,
    Pris Flynn <parf@snip.net> wrote:
    >Zone with guards that kill the mobs: North Karana -- Not your fast
    >experience zone, but the guards at the tower and at the stone bridge will
    >kill just about any intruder. These could include the Hill Giants and the
    >Griffon family.

    The guards at the NK towers don't kill griffons. Griffons kill the
    guards at the NK towers :-)

Video Games Product