partitioning harddrive during restore

I recently joined a firm and decided to do a complete system restore on the
computer I will be using.

It is an HP Pavilion with XP.

What I want to do is create some partitions, but the HP System recovery cd
set does not give me the option during recovery to create the partitions.

Is there a way I can create the partitions?
7 answers Last reply
More about partitioning harddrive restore

    Yes. Use a proper XP install CD. Or use Partition Magic. HP is one of the
    companies which cripples its restore CDs because it wants to keep you out of
    trouble and because it knows better what you are doing than you do... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:14:59 GMT, "Brian Gotjunk"
    <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote:

    >I recently joined a firm and decided to do a complete system restore on the
    >computer I will be using.
    >
    >It is an HP Pavilion with XP.
    >
    >What I want to do is create some partitions, but the HP System recovery cd
    >set does not give me the option during recovery to create the partitions.
    >
    >Is there a way I can create the partitions?

    I have Maxtor drives and use their MaxBlast utility to partition them
    however I want - before sticking in the HP/Compaq OEM XP Recovery CD. It
    doesn't care so long as there's an active partition available to install the
    op system. Just tell it to install the op system without formatting the HD.
    I also don't see any sense to the separate recovery partition, so I refuse
    that option too.

    From what I've heard you must now telephone Microsoft for a code in order to
    reinstall any OEM XP op system, such as from HP. Activation used to be
    automatic via a dialup connection, but not anymore. Haven't had that
    experience yet.
    --
    .... ;o)

    "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    >I recently joined a firm and decided to do a complete system restore on the
    > computer I will be using.
    >
    > It is an HP Pavilion with XP.
    >
    > What I want to do is create some partitions, but the HP System recovery cd
    > set does not give me the option during recovery to create the partitions.
    >
    > Is there a way I can create the partitions?

    Recently, I reinstalled XP Pro on three Dell computers with their original XP
    Pro COA stickers. There was no need to call Micro$oft, as activation was done
    on-line... Ben Myers

    > Recently, I reinstalled XP Pro on three Dell computers with their original
    > XP
    > Pro COA stickers. There was no need to call Micro$oft, as activation was
    > done
    > on-line... Ben Myers

    How recently? Per my prior post...

    "As of February 28, Microsoft will disable Internet activation for all [OEM]
    Windows XP product keys..."

    It would be wonderful if they've changed their mind! Or maybe they decided
    not to impliment it for some models, such as Dell (?). I haven't seen any
    feedback about this...
    --
    .... ;o)

    Within the last week. Now that I think about it, no activation was even
    required, which seems to be the way it is with name-brand computers, an
    advantage they have over the white box system builders... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:31:51 GMT, "skydiver" <abso@lut.ely> wrote:

    >> Recently, I reinstalled XP Pro on three Dell computers with their original
    >> XP
    >> Pro COA stickers. There was no need to call Micro$oft, as activation was
    >> done
    >> on-line... Ben Myers
    >
    >How recently? Per my prior post...
    >
    >"As of February 28, Microsoft will disable Internet activation for all [OEM]
    >Windows XP product keys..."
    >
    >http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1769531,00.asp
    >
    >It would be wonderful if they've changed their mind! Or maybe they decided
    >not to impliment it for some models, such as Dell (?). I haven't seen any
    >feedback about this...
    >--
    >... ;o)

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In article <4245f4df.26652893@nntp.charter.net>, Ben Myers <ben_myers_sp
    am_me_not@charter.net> writes
    >Within the last week. Now that I think about it, no activation was even
    >required, which seems to be the way it is with name-brand computers, an
    >advantage they have over the white box system builders... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:31:51 GMT, "skydiver" <abso@lut.ely> wrote:

    I have a Presario 1525EA which comes with both a QR disk set and a
    Windows XP Home installation disk. The XP installation disk is marked
    'only for use with a Compaq Restore Disk' and 'only for distribution
    with a Compaq PC'. When I bought a larger hard drive I wanted to
    partition it and instal XP on the C: drive and preserve a D: drive for
    data. There is no provision for this using the QR. disk, so I installed
    using the XP installation disk. This required on-line activation (this
    was prior to 28 February) which went ahead without a hitch. I presume
    if I did this again (I am sure I will), I will have to phone Microsoft
    for an activation code.

    If one uses the Quick Restore Disks/Factory Restore Disks it appears
    that Windows is pre-activated and no further action appears to be
    required, and I do not think that it was Microsoft's intention to change
    this. From what I have read, though I have never tried it, that this
    disk set will not work with a none Compaq PC and is probably more
    specific than that. I understand that people have had problems with QR
    sets where a PC has had a motherboard replaced (with a legitimate but
    later revision of the same motherboard).

    Has anyone out there activated over the telephone. Is it 'your custom
    is valuable to us and we will be with you as soon as possible' at 1.50
    GBP per minute or is it toll free and quick (assuming you are
    legitimate)?

    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    "skydiver" <abso@lut.ely> wrote in message
    > I have Maxtor drives and use their MaxBlast utility to partition them
    > however I want - before sticking in the HP/Compaq OEM XP Recovery CD. It
    > doesn't care so long as there's an active partition available to install
    the
    > op system. Just tell it to install the op system without formatting the
    HD.
    > I also don't see any sense to the separate recovery partition, so I refuse
    > that option too.
    >
    > From what I've heard you must now telephone Microsoft for a code in order
    > reinstall any OEM XP op system, such as from HP. Activation used to be
    > automatic via a dialup connection, but not anymore. Haven't had that
    > experience yet.
    > --
    > ... ;o)
    >

    > "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    > >I recently joined a firm and decided to do a complete system restore on
    the
    > > computer I will be using.
    > >
    > > It is an HP Pavilion with XP.
    > >
    > > What I want to do is create some partitions, but the HP System recovery
    cd
    > > set does not give me the option during recovery to create the
    partitions.

    > > Is there a way I can create the partitions?

    When I did the Restore there was no options to choose where to install - it
    did all of that automatically. There was also no option to NOT create the
    Restore partition (D).

Compaq Hard Drives Computers