LG VX6100 Negative Review

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 14, 2005 4:36:28 AM

LG VX6100 Negative Review

Below are personal observations based on using the 6100 for a one week
period. It does not address some positive aspect of the phone or
features I have not used.

Let me say that my impression of the phone is there are some positive
features, but the negative outweighted those by enough that I returned
the phone for a full refund within 1 week of the 15 day trial period.

I've since gone back to my Motorola V60s. I had high hopes for the
VX6100 but was so disappointed that I didn't want to try the other
models available (VX3200, VX4500, VX8000). I plan to wait a few
months then check to see what Motorola or LG bring to market.

The following review is not directed at VerizonWireless. I have a
daughter and step-daughter who both work for VW in two different
states and I'm a loyal customer of 10 years (since it was GTE
Wireless). I'm posting this so that others, whether they agree with
my observations or not can have the benefit of my experience.

1. Must open phone to use SPEAKERPHONE, even though speaker is
located on the back of the flip cover
a. Unable to engage in conversation with flip cover closed except
when using handsfree headset. This seems to be the standard for flip
phones but I'd like to see a change in this usage.

2. TIME does not change unless phone is powered off and then back
on when day light savings time went into affect.
a. When driving across a timezone change clock may not change
automatically. My other phones change the clock as soon as there is a
change in time without having to power off and then on to detect the
change.

3. Cannot train VOICE DIALING for each person in CONTACT LIST
a. Proper names can be spelled many ways. Phone should be able
to recognize name as pronounced by user regardless of spelling
b. Cannot verbally select among multiple numbers for a contact
(e.g. HOME, OFFICE, MOBILE, etc.). Will always try to dial default
number.

4. COMMAND mode less than 50% accurate for voice commands
a. Variations in background noise easily affect recognition
accuracy

5. VOICE DIALING 90% inaccurate for common names
a. Almost NEVER recognize name on first attempt
b. Desired contact almost never first one in list of best match
c. Desired contact name frequently NOT listed in best match list

6. VOICE DIALING 99% inaccurate for uncommon names
a. Names normally spelled with accents marks never pronounced
properly

7. VOICE DIALING repeating contact name volume too low to hear
a. Even in a totally quiet room the announced names are barely
audible

8. DRIVING mode name announce volume too low to hear
a. Even in a totally quiet room the announced names are barely
audible

9. COMMAND button too easy to activate unintentionally

10. No notification of waiting VOICE MAIL(s)
a. No indication of missed voice mail or calls when phone is
turned on. The manual does not indicate how to enable notification.

11. USER GUIDE does not provide details of each feature - just how
to set or modify - not what the feature is used for
a. Example: DRIVING mode usage is not explained. It must be
figured out by trial and error when receiving an incoming call

12. Cannot switch to SPEAKERPHONE while viewing options and
settings
a. When viewing contact list cannot toggle speakerphone on or off
- must exit list before speaker button can be used

13. Cannot switch view to other options and settings when phone in
use
a. Example: cannot access MENU soft key during a call

14. SPEAKERPHONE and EARPIECE both sound "tinny" and high pitched,
not natural
a. Especially true when volume is set to higher range but still
noticeable when volume is medium or low

15. Cannot scroll through COMMAND list - must activate via voice
only
a. Would be useful if you could scroll list when phone is having
problem recognizing verbal input

16. CALENDAR (SCHEDULE) background image makes reading date
difficult

17. VOICE MEMO has usage not documented in USER GUIDE
a. A recorded memo can be used as a default ring tone for
incoming calls. A handy feature but not noted in manual

18. BEST MATCH does not even come close to being accurate for
VOICE DIALING
a. Names pronounced are not even close to sounding like they are
spelled in phone book

19. Cannot verbally deactivate BEST MATCH when none of the 4
choices is correct
a. Unless you manually close the list it will prompt you 4 times
for a match even when the displayed list does not contain the one
entry you are seeking.

More about : vx6100 negative review

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:00:56 PM

"Larry" <nospam.hotlarry99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> only
> a. Would be useful if you could scroll list when phone is having
> problem recognizing verbal input
>
> 16. CALENDAR (SCHEDULE) background image makes reading date
> difficult
>
> 17. VOICE MEMO has usage not documented in USER GUIDE
> a. A recorded memo can be used as a default ring tone for
> incoming calls. A handy feature but not noted in manual
>
> 18. BEST MATCH does not even come close to being accurate for
> VOICE DIALING
> a. Names pronounced are not even close to sounding like they are
> spelled in phone book
>
> 19. Cannot verbally deactivate BEST MATCH when none of the 4
> choices is correct
> a. Unless you manually close the list it will prompt you 4 times
> for a match even when the displayed list does not contain the one

You must be an absolute joy to live with;-)

Cleburne
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:48:15 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:36:28 -0700, Larry wrote:

>1. Must open phone to use SPEAKERPHONE, even though speaker is
>located on the back of the flip cover
>a. Unable to engage in conversation with flip cover closed except
>when using handsfree headset. This seems to be the standard for flip
>phones but I'd like to see a change in this usage.

Microphone is on inside. I presume speaker is on outside so as not to be muffled when ringing alarms, etc. that don't require phone to be opened and so as not to blast into ear when opened in Speaker mode. I don't see how it could be designed much differently.

Of course, maybe you need a speakerphone for conversations in which you don't get to talk <g>.

>2. TIME does not change unless phone is powered off and then back
>on when day light savings time went into affect.
>a. When driving across a timezone change clock may not change
>automatically. My other phones change the clock as soon as there is a
>change in time without having to power off and then on to detect the
>change.

According to the messages on this board 4/3-4, this might be as much a function of the system VZW has in your area as the phone itself; I know in NYC my 6100 updated to DST without any problem and no input from me.

>5. VOICE DIALING 90% inaccurate for common names
>a. Almost NEVER recognize name on first attempt
>b. Desired contact almost never first one in list of best match
>c. Desired contact name frequently NOT listed in best match list

I would put c over b. My phonelist (almost 250 names) is lastname-first name with some lastnames having multiple listings (up to 6 first names in one case). I'm lucky if 2 of the listings for the same last name come up in the latter situation and even then the correct first name never comes up.

>8. DRIVING mode name announce volume too low to hear
>a. Even in a totally quiet room the announced names are barely
>audible

Was the firmware of the phone upgraded to version 2 which was supposed to eliminate some problems with volume? I got my 6100 (in the mail from VZW) about the time that version 2 came out, so I knew to upgrade the firmware. Went with friends to VZW store recently and appears that VZW's stock still has version 1; have to explicitly request upgrade.

>9. COMMAND button too easy to activate unintentionally

Agreed.

>10. No notification of waiting VOICE MAIL(s)
>a. No indication of missed voice mail or calls when phone is
>turned on. The manual does not indicate how to enable notification.

There is. I thought the Alert On (or whatever its called) was the default --- I know I found the chirping very annoying so I looked for a way to turn it off; the tape indicator on the screen was all I need.

>11. USER GUIDE does not provide details of each feature - just how
>to set or modify - not what the feature is used for

True, but what has detailed explanations these days?

>14. SPEAKERPHONE and EARPIECE both sound "tinny" and high pitched,
>not natural
>a. Especially true when volume is set to higher range but still
>noticeable when volume is medium or low

Your 6100 might have been bad if this always happened; from time to time, I've seen this happen but I chalk that up to the quality of the call rather than the phone.

>15. Cannot scroll through COMMAND list - must activate via voice
>only
>a. Would be useful if you could scroll list when phone is having
>problem recognizing verbal input

With the exception of Schedule and Time (which require 2 key inputs, everything else on the Command Screen is directly available from the main screen so why do you need to go to the Command Screen (one key input) to scroll? [If you're doing it from Drive Mode, then adding a scroll bar is counter productive to its hands-free purpose.]
My lack of response to your other comments relates more to my unfamiliarity to the features mentioned (due more to lack of need of such features, than lack of knowledge of their existence.).
April 15, 2005 3:01:43 AM

Larry <nospam.hotlarry99@yahoo.com> spewed:
> LG VX6100 Negative Review

I'll add my .02, as a 6100 user for several months now.
> 2. TIME does not change unless phone is powered off and then back
> on when day light savings time went into affect.

Mine didn't change at exactly 2:00am, but it did it within an hour of that
time.

> 4. COMMAND mode less than 50% accurate for voice commands
> a. Variations in background noise easily affect recognition
> accuracy

I've never had any problem with this feature.

> 5. VOICE DIALING 90% inaccurate for common names
> a. Almost NEVER recognize name on first attempt
> b. Desired contact almost never first one in list of best match
> c. Desired contact name frequently NOT listed in best match list

See previous comment. :)

> 6. VOICE DIALING 99% inaccurate for uncommon names
> a. Names normally spelled with accents marks never pronounced
> properly

I dunno... I guess I just don't think of this as a terribly critical
feature - and if I did have a problem with it, I'd probably just learn how
to say the name the phone wants to hear it. :)

> 7. VOICE DIALING repeating contact name volume too low to hear
> a. Even in a totally quiet room the announced names are barely
> audible

Agreed.

> 8. DRIVING mode name announce volume too low to hear
> a. Even in a totally quiet room the announced names are barely
> audible

Agreed again.

> 10. No notification of waiting VOICE MAIL(s)
> a. No indication of missed voice mail or calls when phone is
> turned on. The manual does not indicate how to enable notification.

When I turn my phone on, it will let me know if I have any txt or vm
messages waiting. There are little icon indicators as well, and if you have
the "2 minute warning" activated, it will remind you every two minutes if
you have a vm waiting for you.

> 12. Cannot switch to SPEAKERPHONE while viewing options and
> settings
> a. When viewing contact list cannot toggle speakerphone on or off
> - must exit list before speaker button can be used

This is true, but I'm not sure why you'd need to do that.

> 13. Cannot switch view to other options and settings when phone in
> use
> a. Example: cannot access MENU soft key during a call

Yeah. Many times I've wanted to check the time or access another number
stored in my contact list - but was unable.

> 17. VOICE MEMO has usage not documented in USER GUIDE
> a. A recorded memo can be used as a default ring tone for
> incoming calls. A handy feature but not noted in manual

Ahh. I didn't realize that.

> 19. Cannot verbally deactivate BEST MATCH when none of the 4
> choices is correct
> a. Unless you manually close the list it will prompt you 4 times
> for a match even when the displayed list does not contain the one
> entry you are seeking.

Yuck.

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous

Patrick Cleburne <reb@_rebyell.xcom> spewed:

> You must be an absolute joy to live with;-)
>
> Cleburne

And you must have absolutely no idea how to cut exessive quotes from a
reply. :p

j/k

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:34:13 AM

"Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

> Patrick Cleburne <reb@_rebyell.xcom> spewed:
>>
>> You must be an absolute joy to live with;-)
>>
>> Cleburne
>
> And you must have absolutely no idea how to cut exessive quotes from a
> reply. :p
>
> j/k

Actually Bobby, I do--- but ya' see, the full scope of the petty whining and
bitching was needed to appreciate my comment;-)

Cleburne
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:20:54 AM

> [...]
>> - must exit list before speaker button can be used
>
> This is true, but I'm not sure why you'd need to do that.
>
>> 13. Cannot switch view to other options and settings when phone in
>> use
>> a. Example: cannot access MENU soft key during a call
>
> Yeah. Many times I've wanted to check the time or access another number
> stored in my contact list - but was unable.
>
>> 17. VOICE MEMO has usage not documented in USER GUIDE
>> a. A recorded memo can be used as a default ring tone for
>> incoming calls. A handy feature but not noted in manual
>
> Ahh. I didn't realize that.
>
>> 19. Cannot verbally deactivate BEST MATCH when none of the 4
>> choices is correct
>> a. Unless you manually close the list it will prompt you 4 times
>> for a match even when the displayed list does not contain the one

The person originating this thread clearly does not know the phone and in
the 7 days that he had it, he sure didn't learn how to use it. The speaker
phone works just fine. In fact, on a call I had today, a listerner told
me the clarity was quite good, and superior to the clarity when I was
using various heasets, including a $140 Jabra Blue Tooth combo (BT210 &
BT250). I can hear the other party very clearly when using the speaker
hone. The phone is an excellent phone for business people. Calendars,
scheduling, alarms, voice memos work fine. Like anything else, it takes
time to learn how to use it. If there was a better phone out there that
Verizon carried, I'd have it. Btw, reception is no problem at all for me.
If it were, I'd get rid ot it. - All in all, LG phones are excellent.
Just my opinion of course...

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:25:22 AM

Ahh... I've found something that is annoying, to me anyway...

I have custom ringers for almost all of my contacts, as well as different
sound for new txt, new vm, new mms, etc. Well, many times when I get a new
txt notification and then a new vm notifaction right after that, usually
when first turing on the phone, it will use the same ringer for the new vm
as it does for the new txt.

And, since my ringers are custom made and announce people by name, and
announce "you have a new text message" and "you have a new voice mail
message" - it's easy to notice when the proper ring isn't played.

Okay then, that's all :)

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:54:11 AM

Wow, that sounds pretty serious.... I don't quite know how I'd put up with
that! ;-)

> Ahh... I've found something that is annoying, to me anyway...
>
> I have custom ringers for almost all of my contacts, as well as different
> sound for new txt, new vm, new mms, etc. Well, many times when I get a
> new txt notification and then a new vm notifaction right after that,
> usually when first turing on the phone, it will use the same ringer for
> the new vm as it does for the new txt.
>
> And, since my ringers are custom made and announce people by name, and
> announce "you have a new text message" and "you have a new voice mail
> message" - it's easy to notice when the proper ring isn't played.
>
> Okay then, that's all :)
>
> --
> Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:54:12 AM

Dave M. wrote:
> Wow, that sounds pretty serious.... I don't quite know
> how I'd put up with that! ;-)

Put up with what? The same ringer being used or
somebody with all those custom "AOL" announcements?

-:)
-Quick
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:06:16 AM

Dave M. <nospam@nospam.com> spewed:
> Wow, that sounds pretty serious.... I don't quite know how I'd put
> up with that! ;-)

It's dern near infuriating! *laugh* Nah... per usual, any glitch in my
phone barely merits more than a "hmm. that's weird." reaction from me. :)

Oh, this is where I generate all my "british chick" caller ID ringers:

http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html

If anyone else wants to play around and do the same. She almost sounds like
Moneypenny when she announces a call. :)

--
Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
April 20, 2005 4:06:17 AM

Cool link. Thanks!

Thor

> Dave M. <nospam@nospam.com> spewed:
>> Wow, that sounds pretty serious.... I don't quite know how I'd put
>> up with that! ;-)
>
> It's dern near infuriating! *laugh* Nah... per usual, any glitch in my
> phone barely merits more than a "hmm. that's weird." reaction from me.
> :)
>
> Oh, this is where I generate all my "british chick" caller ID ringers:
>
> http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
>
> If anyone else wants to play around and do the same. She almost sounds
> like Moneypenny when she announces a call. :)
>
> --
> Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:10:25 PM

Neat link! I made some and converted them to mp3 but they sound
strange on my v710. She'll speak but then the end has a strange,
brief skip sound as it tries again. Think it was in the conversion or
do you have to pad the end with some blank space?

Does anyone know if the v710 will use a wav for a ringtone as well as
mp3?

Robert J Batina wrote:
> Dave M. <nospam@nospam.com>
>
> Oh, this is where I generate all my "british chick" caller ID
ringers:

> http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
>
> If anyone else wants to play around and do the same. She almost
sounds like
> Moneypenny when she announces a call. :)
>
> --
> Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:12:15 PM

Hi - Neat link! I made some for my v710 but they sound funny - after
the end of the voice there's a strange "skip" where it sounds like it's
trying to start again. Didyou have to pad the end of yours with blank
space? Maybe it was the conversion from wav to mp3?

Does anyone know if the v710 plays WAVs and MP3s as ringtones?

!