Your question

I'm totally stumped by this BSOD

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Blue Screen
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 26, 2010 4:32:52 AM

My sister gave me her laptop to take a look at (me being the "one who can fix 'em"). There's a persistent BSOD at windows load right before it tries to get to the login screen. The error message flashes so fast I can't really seem to make out but I THINK it's a 0x0000007e error (though I'm not certain even after straining my eyes and restarting the computer about a half dozen times to try and catch the damned code).

I initially thought to just reinstall the OS (it had windows XP) and she asked me to go ahead and just upgrade it to windows 7 while I was at it. The computer's an HP Mini 2133 netbook and for some reason it wouldn't register the external DVD drive I had at work so I pulled the hard drive, hooked it up to a desktop, and booted into the windows 7 installation from the desktop. Installation went smoothly, activation and all. Pulled the drive and put it back in the netbook, booted the system and the damned thing still does the same BSOD, at the same point, and still flies by so fast it's damned near impossible for me to discern what the hell the stupid error code is.

I've ran Startup Repair about 5 times here's a copy of one of the report details:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16285
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16285
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21203913
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 5
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

There was also another error log that I cant seem to reproduce though I do remember there being an error code 0x490 somewhere down the list.

I've also done a memory test, turned up nothing. I'm tempted to just do a write 0 wipe on the drive and try a reinstall but i'd like to get some input as to what the community thinks this might be before I do drastic, time consuming stuff like that.

More about : totally stumped bsod

a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2010 7:46:08 AM

Im not suprised it never worked.
First of all did you infact go into the bios of the laptop and set the boot order.
By that i mean dvd/cd drive to first boot device and not the Hard disk.

Your second problem is this, you took the drive out of the laptop and installed it in your tower to install windows 7 on it.
Windows 7 has loaded all the drivers for your board and not the ones for the laptop.
It does this on setup/ install.

When you switch the drive back to the laptop it will crash as all the drivers are wrong.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2010 7:58:23 AM

What i would of done, not saying you did not try it by the way!.
Is i would of pressed F8 and done a loading of windows in safe mode.
Any third party drivers are not loaded in that case just the core windows ones.
If it did not crash at that point, then i would suspect a bad or corrupt driver.

Bad memory can be the cause. and so can a HD on its way out by the way.
But to do the test on the laptop you first have to get windows 7 to boot from its dvd drive.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2010 7:59:43 AM

Shaun o said:
Im not suprised it never worked.
First of all did you infact go into the bios of the laptop and set the boot order.
By that i mean dvd/cd drive to first boot device and not the Hard disk.

Your second problem is this, you took the drive out of the laptop and installed it in your tower to install windows 7 on it.
Windows 7 has loaded all the drivers for your board and not the ones for the laptop.
It does this on setup/ install.

When you switch the drive back to the laptop it will crash as all the drivers are wrong.

Yes, I went into the BIOS and tried to set up the proper boot order, even after restarting the comp with the drive plugged into the usb port, still nothing, not sure why that is...

Guess I'll just do a reinstall of Win 7 from a USB.

Shaun o said:
What i would of done, not saying you did not try it by the way!.
Is i would of pressed F8 and done a loading of windows in safe mode.
Any third party drivers are not loaded in that case just the core windows ones.
If it did not crash at that point, then i would suspect a bad or corrupt driver.

Bad memory can be the cause. and so can a HD on its way out by the way.
But to do the test on the laptop you first have to get windows 7 to boot from its dvd drive.

I have tried to load in safe mode, both before I did the installation of Win 7 and after, both times fail to load with a similar issue as with a regular boot, difference is it just doesn't properly boot into safe mode, just crashes and goes straight into a startup repair.

I don't suspect a memory or hard drive issue. I've tested both with sector scanners and both came up fine (Hirens and UBD).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2010 8:03:28 AM

If you have that option in the bios, for the boot device give it a go.
Not sure about using a usb stick, you may have to make it bootable first.
Should get you around the problem, of the dvd drive not working.
m
l
October 26, 2010 8:04:53 AM

Shaun o said:
If you have that option in the bios, for the boot device give it a go.
Not sure about using a usb stick, you may have to make it bootable first.
Should get you around the problem, of the dvd drive not working.

It is doable, I've seen it done. The thing's a netbook, gotta keep that in mind. No integrated optical drive.
m
l
October 26, 2010 2:46:05 PM

Fractoman said:
My sister gave me her laptop to take a look at (me being the "one who can fix 'em"). There's a persistent BSOD at windows load right before it tries to get to the login screen. The error message flashes so fast I can't really seem to make out but I THINK it's a 0x0000007e error (though I'm not certain even after straining my eyes and restarting the computer about a half dozen times to try and catch the damned code).

I initially thought to just reinstall the OS (it had windows XP) and she asked me to go ahead and just upgrade it to windows 7 while I was at it. The computer's an HP Mini 2133 netbook and for some reason it wouldn't register the external DVD drive I had at work so I pulled the hard drive, hooked it up to a desktop, and booted into the windows 7 installation from the desktop. Installation went smoothly, activation and all. Pulled the drive and put it back in the netbook, booted the system and the damned thing still does the same BSOD, at the same point, and still flies by so fast it's damned near impossible for me to discern what the hell the stupid error code is.

I've ran Startup Repair about 5 times here's a copy of one of the report details:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16285
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16285
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21203913
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 5
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

There was also another error log that I cant seem to reproduce though I do remember there being an error code 0x490 somewhere down the list.

I've also done a memory test, turned up nothing. I'm tempted to just do a write 0 wipe on the drive and try a reinstall but i'd like to get some input as to what the community thinks this might be before I do drastic, time consuming stuff like that.

You could try booting from a recovery partition and seing if you can return the netbook to it's factory settings.

Try turning it on, then tap f11 repeatedly and see what happens..........
m
l
October 26, 2010 2:50:05 PM

I mean you have to press f11 AS SOON AS YOU TURN IT ON. As soon as the light comes on, press f11 repeatedly. Failing that try alt+f11 or alt+f10.
m
l
!