Problems adding a printer in XP Pro

My computer dumped all of my printers. When I tried to add a printer, I got
an error message stating, "Operation could not be completed. The print
spooler service is not running". I've started the print spooler, started the
service it depended on to start, run through every troubleshooting method I
know of, and I still can't get a printer to load. Microsoft states that this
is a known problem, but offers no solution. Has anyone encountered this
problem and fixed it?
2 answers Last reply
More about problems adding printer

    What is the exact text of the error message now?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Locomotion" <Locomotion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer dumped all of my printers. When I tried to add a printer, I
    > got
    > an error message stating, "Operation could not be completed. The print
    > spooler service is not running". I've started the print spooler, started
    > the
    > service it depended on to start, run through every troubleshooting method
    > know of, and I still can't get a printer to load. Microsoft states that
    > this
    > is a known problem, but offers no solution. Has anyone encountered this
    > problem and fixed it?

    The error message is, "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler
    service is not running.". It seems that it shuts down during or immediately
    when I select, "Add a Printer".

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > What is the exact text of the error message now?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Locomotion" <Locomotion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer dumped all of my printers. When I tried to add a printer, I
    > > got
    > > an error message stating, "Operation could not be completed. The print
    > > spooler service is not running". I've started the print spooler, started
    > > the
    > > service it depended on to start, run through every troubleshooting method
    > > know of, and I still can't get a printer to load. Microsoft states that
    > > this
    > > is a known problem, but offers no solution. Has anyone encountered this
    > > problem and fixed it?

Printers Microsoft Windows XP