Print Spooler Shutdown at printer installation or use.

I have installed XP Pro and SP2 + all recent updates from Windows Update.

When I try to install a printer, USB or network, the print spooler will
generates an error... and then the RPC gives an error. The installation
fails. We had another printer previously and it could be installed but when
used it generated the same errors, thus the spooler shutdown.
The strange thing is that the PC that had the older printer, with this
problem, also has an another printer installed, but it works fine, until the
splooler crashes that is.

As a extra twist to the whole thing is that I have installed a few new
Laptops with about the same procedure: first XP +SP2 + Windows Updates +
Office and other programs AND then found out that the "Print Spooler" has
failed from the start... with no aparent reason?!

I have searched all-around but found nothing similar, execpt one question in
these groups, and would appreciate if anyone has some ideas to "zap" the
Spooler!?

--
Whopdi Do Basil ,but what does it mean?
1 answer Last reply

    Printer spooler crashes are nearly always caused by corrupted printer
    drivers.

    You might try totally cleaning up the spooler...
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "frustardo" <frustardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed XP Pro and SP2 + all recent updates from Windows Update.
    >
    > When I try to install a printer, USB or network, the print spooler will
    > generates an error... and then the RPC gives an error. The installation
    > fails. We had another printer previously and it could be installed but
    > when
    > used it generated the same errors, thus the spooler shutdown.
    > The strange thing is that the PC that had the older printer, with this
    > problem, also has an another printer installed, but it works fine, until
    > the
    > splooler crashes that is.
    >
    > As a extra twist to the whole thing is that I have installed a few new
    > Laptops with about the same procedure: first XP +SP2 + Windows Updates +
    > Office and other programs AND then found out that the "Print Spooler" has
    > failed from the start... with no aparent reason?!
    >
    > I have searched all-around but found nothing similar, execpt one question
    > in
    > these groups, and would appreciate if anyone has some ideas to "zap" the
    > Spooler!?
    >
    > --
    > Whopdi Do Basil ,but what does it mean?

Print Spooler Printers Windows XP