Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have configured the fax on my windows xp operating system. I just wondered
if there is a setting that allows the fax program to decide whether the
incoming call is a fax or a phone call. If I set the fax for automatic
answering, will it answer any call that comes in regardless if it is a fax or
not? I have my fax set up on my regular phone line.
Thank you,
Chris

There is no way of it to know until the phone is answered.

"chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have configured the fax on my windows xp operating system. I just
>wondered
> if there is a setting that allows the fax program to decide whether the
> incoming call is a fax or a phone call. If I set the fax for automatic
> answering, will it answer any call that comes in regardless if it is a fax
> or
> not? I have my fax set up on my regular phone line.
> Thank you,
> Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Do you know if there is some type of device that I could purchase to plug in
that would detect whether the incoming call was fax or phone? I thought
there was something like that.

"Dennis Marks" wrote:

> There is no way of it to know until the phone is answered.
>
> "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have configured the fax on my windows xp operating system. I just
> >wondered
> > if there is a setting that allows the fax program to decide whether the
> > incoming call is a fax or a phone call. If I set the fax for automatic
> > answering, will it answer any call that comes in regardless if it is a fax
> > or
> > not? I have my fax set up on my regular phone line.
> > Thank you,
> > Chris

No device can know if a fax is being sent until a handshake signal is sent
between them. That means that a person (non fax) would hear a tone and then
since he does not respond then the device would have to ring your phone.
That would be very annoying. That is just my opinion. I know of no device.

Now there may be a device where you answer all calls and if it is a fax hang
up and the computer takes over. I'd be interested in the same device if it
exists.

> Do you know if there is some type of device that I could purchase to plug
> in
> that would detect whether the incoming call was fax or phone? I thought
> there was something like that.
>
> "Dennis Marks" wrote:
>
>> There is no way of it to know until the phone is answered.
>>
>> "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have configured the fax on my windows xp operating system. I just
>> >wondered
>> > if there is a setting that allows the fax program to decide whether the
>> > incoming call is a fax or a phone call. If I set the fax for automatic
>> > answering, will it answer any call that comes in regardless if it is a
>> > fax
>> > or
>> > not? I have my fax set up on my regular phone line.
>> > Thank you,
>> > Chris

One of these third party hardware devices might help with that:

http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
Emerson Switchboard
http://www.command-comm.com/phone_line_products.html
ComSwitch®