Believe it or not, printing from a DOS app

As hard as it is to believe, a friend's company has an old DOS program she
needs to run. We can't print (XP Home SP2) to the USB printer (Canon I71)
from the app, and according to technote 259939 it looks impossible. Anyone
have a getaround?
--
ratherbquilting

Printing from DOS with Windows 2000 or XP
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"ratherbquilting" wrote:

| As hard as it is to believe, a friend's company has an old DOS program she
| needs to run. We can't print (XP Home SP2) to the USB printer (Canon I71)
| from the app, and according to technote 259939 it looks impossible. Anyone
| have a getaround?
| --
| ratherbquilting

In article <uVKyiKorFHA.2588@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Carey Frisch
[MVP] favored us with...

> "ratherbquilting" wrote:
>
> | As hard as it is to believe, a friend's company has an old DOS program she
> | needs to run. We can't print (XP Home SP2) to the USB printer (Canon I71)
> | from the app, and according to technote 259939 it looks impossible. Anyone
> | have a getaround?

> Printing from DOS with Windows 2000 or XP
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

And if that doesn't work (it didn't for me; I was unable to "share"
the printer), there's an inexpensive hardware solution: get a docking
station with a parallel or serial port on it, whatever your printer
wants. I paid $25 for mine in the grocery store!

Staples also sells parallel-to-USB cables, and you can find them on
the Internet; but I don't know how well they work in your
application.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Add lpt1 port to the printer.
Go to Control Panel>printer>Right click the printer, select
properties, use the tab PORT and add lpt1 to your printer. You will
find something like DOT4-001 is checked for your USB port. Check the
square for LPT1; This should capture any program you send to the LPT1
port and send it to the USB printer.
TonySper

"ratherbquilting" <ratherbquilting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:30BF4488-69B5-4827-AA72-6863CA180E8B@microsoft.com...
As hard as it is to believe, a friend's company has an old DOS program
she
needs to run. We can't print (XP Home SP2) to the USB printer (Canon
I71)
from the app, and according to technote 259939 it looks impossible.
Anyone
have a getaround?
--
ratherbquilting

The solution has worked on my machine (XP Pro to an Epson R200) but NOT on
the client's machine (XP Home to a Canon I70). Any ideas what could be
different? I have looked at everything I can think of.
--
ratherbquilting

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Printing from DOS with Windows 2000 or XP
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "ratherbquilting" wrote:
>
> | As hard as it is to believe, a friend's company has an old DOS program she
> | needs to run. We can't print (XP Home SP2) to the USB printer (Canon I71)
> | from the app, and according to technote 259939 it looks impossible. Anyone
> | have a getaround?
> | --
> | ratherbquilting

ratherbquilting,

> The solution has worked on my machine (XP Pro to an Epson R200) but NOT on
> the client's machine (XP Home to a Canon I70). Any ideas what could be
> different?

Your client's printer may be a GDI one (also known as Windows-only).
A GDI printer cannot print from DOS simply by redirecting the ascii flow
from one port to another because it NEEDS an input stream generated by the
Windows driver.
If this is your case, you can have a look at Printfil, which allows
character based applications printing to GDI printers (as well as any other
Windows printer) with many extras (print preview, BMP background merging,
font selection etc.).
More info and a free trial is available for download at our web site.

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.printfil.com
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all