Auto Printer - When / How do I make it Install on demand

September 1, 2005 2:00:29 PM

This may seem like a silly question, I just installed a printer on our
network (Minolta Pagepro 1350w)
This printer is shared on a TCP/IP Network with 4 others users in my group.
I then went to one of the other systems in the group, Set it up to use the
New printer (it did it's thing , installed drivers,etc)

The problem I encountered was that it works with all my Applications except
one. This morning I came in the continue to try to trouble shoot the problem
and noticed Winxp had installed an AUTO version of the same printer, and
this Auto version works with All applications - I got what I want,
basically.

But now here's the question:

AFTER I tell Winxp to "Automatically Install New Network Printers & Folders"
How can I make Winxp install them, Restarting the other 3 Systems doesn't
work, When does Winxp decide to install the Auto Printers can it be
initiated. TIA
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:26:21 PM

It will auto detect it at its leisure! Sometimes I've found it to be quick,
other times it's definitely been a while.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Albert Giuliano" <agiuliano@fonar.com> wrote in message
> This may seem like a silly question, I just installed a printer on our
> network (Minolta Pagepro 1350w)
> This printer is shared on a TCP/IP Network with 4 others users in my
> group.
> I then went to one of the other systems in the group, Set it up to use the
> New printer (it did it's thing , installed drivers,etc)
>
> The problem I encountered was that it works with all my Applications
> except
> one. This morning I came in the continue to try to trouble shoot the
> problem
> and noticed Winxp had installed an AUTO version of the same printer, and
> this Auto version works with All applications - I got what I want,
> basically.
>
> But now here's the question:
>
> AFTER I tell Winxp to "Automatically Install New Network Printers &
> Folders"
> How can I make Winxp install them, Restarting the other 3 Systems doesn't
> work, When does Winxp decide to install the Auto Printers can it be
> initiated. TIA

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:02:26 PM

The spooler will block the explorer process from AUTO installing the printer
if the driver is not in box or already installed on the machine. Install
the driver on the other machines and wait for the explorer process to make
the connections.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team