Unable to install printer. Operation could not be completed.

a b α HP
September 1, 2005 4:46:01 PM

I can't install any HP LaserJet 5 driver (HPLJ 5/HPLJ 5N/HPLJ 5si, etc) on
one WXP SP2 computer. I am trying to install the standard driver that comes
with Windows XP.

I can install any HP LaserJet 4 driver.

When I try to install a new HPLJ 5 printer with the WXP wizard, it gets to
the end and gives the error "Unable to install printer. Operation could not
be completed."

If I install the HPLJ 4 driver and then go in the printer properties and
change the driver to a HPLJ 5, the wizard copies the files. But, when I click
on the apply button in the printer properties, it says "The HPLJ 5 printer
driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer properties will not be
accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want to install the
driver now." I can say yes and install the driver, but I get the same error
message again.

This happens both on LPT1 or on a network path.

I previously was able to install a HPLJ 5 driver before I upgraded from WXP
SP1 to SP2.

All my other computers will install a HPLJ 5 driver.

I went into Printers and Faxes-File-Server Properties and deleted the
driver. I also tried stopping and starting the Windows spooler. I blocked
Symantec Corporate AntiVirus 9.0 realtime scanning of the spooler folder. I
ran Disk Cleanup and deleted the temp files and the IE temp files. I logged
in as administrator. These things didn't fix the error.
September 4, 2005 2:06:07 AM

I'd see if HP has an uninstall utility to clean up the registry and other
possible problems. If not, it's likely that specific keys and or values
need to be removed or changed in the registry.