Unable to install printer. Operation could not be completed.

I can't install any HP LaserJet 5 driver (HPLJ 5/HPLJ 5N/HPLJ 5si, etc) on
one WXP SP2 computer. I am trying to install the standard driver that comes
with Windows XP.

I can install any HP LaserJet 4 driver.

When I try to install a new HPLJ 5 printer with the WXP wizard, it gets to
the end and gives the error "Unable to install printer. Operation could not
be completed."

If I install the HPLJ 4 driver and then go in the printer properties and
change the driver to a HPLJ 5, the wizard copies the files. But, when I click
on the apply button in the printer properties, it says "The HPLJ 5 printer
driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer properties will not be
accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want to install the
driver now." I can say yes and install the driver, but I get the same error
message again.

This happens both on LPT1 or on a network path.

I previously was able to install a HPLJ 5 driver before I upgraded from WXP
SP1 to SP2.

All my other computers will install a HPLJ 5 driver.

I went into Printers and Faxes-File-Server Properties and deleted the
driver. I also tried stopping and starting the Windows spooler. I blocked
Symantec Corporate AntiVirus 9.0 realtime scanning of the spooler folder. I
ran Disk Cleanup and deleted the temp files and the IE temp files. I logged
in as administrator. These things didn't fix the error.
1 answer Last reply
More about unable install printer operation completed

    I'd see if HP has an uninstall utility to clean up the registry and other
    possible problems. If not, it's likely that specific keys and or values
    need to be removed or changed in the registry.

    "Sally Smith" <Sally Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can't install any HP LaserJet 5 driver (HPLJ 5/HPLJ 5N/HPLJ 5si, etc) on
    > one WXP SP2 computer. I am trying to install the standard driver that
    comes
    > with Windows XP.
    >
    > I can install any HP LaserJet 4 driver.
    >
    > When I try to install a new HPLJ 5 printer with the WXP wizard, it gets to
    > the end and gives the error "Unable to install printer. Operation could
    not
    > be completed."
    >
    > If I install the HPLJ 4 driver and then go in the printer properties and
    > change the driver to a HPLJ 5, the wizard copies the files. But, when I
    click
    > on the apply button in the printer properties, it says "The HPLJ 5 printer
    > driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer properties will not
    be
    > accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want to install
    the
    > driver now." I can say yes and install the driver, but I get the same
    error
    > message again.
    >
    > This happens both on LPT1 or on a network path.
    >
    > I previously was able to install a HPLJ 5 driver before I upgraded from
    WXP
    > SP1 to SP2.
    >
    > All my other computers will install a HPLJ 5 driver.
    >
    > I went into Printers and Faxes-File-Server Properties and deleted the
    > driver. I also tried stopping and starting the Windows spooler. I
    blocked
    > Symantec Corporate AntiVirus 9.0 realtime scanning of the spooler folder.
    > ran Disk Cleanup and deleted the temp files and the IE temp files. I
    logged
    > in as administrator. These things didn't fix the error.

Hewlett Packard Printers Windows XP