Closed Solved

What hard drive can I use to upgrade my PS3 slim?

I want to upgrade my PS3 slim, but I am not sure if I can use any 5400 rpm SATA hard drive. Could I use any SATA revisions? Say, can I use either SATA 1.5 Gbit/s, SATA 3 Gbit/s, or SATA 6 Gbit/s? What I don't know is if the SATA connection inside the PS3 will match the sata hard drive I buy. Also I am worry if hard drive capacity will matter. Could I buy a 1TB hard drive? Please, let me know if any of these hard drives can be used:


1 - Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s 8 MB Cache 2.5-Inch HDD

2 - Western Digital WD10JPVT Scorpio Blue 1 TB 2.5" HDD

Any other recommendations? I am willing to buy from amazon or newegg. Thanks.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what hard drive upgrade slim
  1. Any 2.5inch HDD will work.

    Will take the Seagate over a WD especially the blue series.

    If budget stretches, think about a 750GB hybrid Seagate Momentus XT range SSD/HDD for maximum performance.
  2. Sony recommends using 5400rpm drives (at least on original fat PS3s, not sure about later models), but I have read of people using faster drives with no trouble.

    I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading that some 1tb drives are too big vertically.
  3. jakjawagon said:
    Sony recommends using 5400rpm drives (at least on original fat PS3s, not sure about later models), but I have read of people using faster drives with no trouble.

    I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading that some 1tb drives are too big vertically.


    I don't think the capacity is a problem as long as the form factor of the drive is 9.5mm(H)x69.75mm(W)x100.3mm(L), which is the standard size of the 2.5" laptop HDD. Some high capacity 2.5" laptop HDDs have a form factor of 12.5mm (H)x69.85mm(W)x100.2mm(L), which will not fit in the ps3 slim hdd cage and in some cases will not even fit in most laptops. By the way, 7200 rpm HDDs are not recommended at all because they get too hot for the small space found in the ps3 slim.

    I hope that my comments and other findings will help others looking for a ps3 slim HDD replacement upgrade.
  4. das_stig said:
    Any 2.5inch HDD will work.

    Will take the Seagate over a WD especially the blue series.

    If budget stretches, think about a 750GB hybrid Seagate Momentus XT range SSD/HDD for maximum performance.


    According to my research, I cannot use any 2.5" HDD. See my other response below:

    Quote:

    I don't think the capacity is a problem as long as the form factor of the drive is 9.5mm(H)x69.75mm(W)x100.3mm(L), which is the standard size of the 2.5" laptop HDD. Some high capacity 2.5" laptop HDDs have a form factor of 12.5mm (H)x69.85mm(W)x100.2mm(L), which will not fit in the ps3 slim hdd cage and in some cases will not even fit in most laptops. By the way, 7200 rpm HDDs are not recommended at all because they get too hot for the small space found in the ps3 slim.

    I hope that my comments and other findings will help others looking for a ps3 slim HDD replacement upgrade.
  5. I can't find the link now, but I think the capacity is limited to 2TB.
  6. Hawkeye22 said:
    I can't find the link now, but I think the capacity is limited to 2TB.


    It is OK. I already saw a youtube video where someone installed a 1TB HDD, and I don't want more than that. Thanks.
  7. Please, moderator, close this thread. I just answer myself and I think my answer is the BEST. Thanks everyone.
  8. Best answer
    orestesdd said:
    I want to upgrade my PS3 slim, but I am not sure if I can use any 5400 rpm SATA hard drive. Could I use any SATA revisions? Say, can I use either SATA 1.5 Gbit/s, SATA 3 Gbit/s, or SATA 6 Gbit/s? What I don't know is if the SATA connection inside the PS3 will match the sata hard drive I buy. Also I am worry if hard drive capacity will matter. Could I buy a 1TB hard drive? Please, let me know if any of these hard drives can be used:


    1 - Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s 8 MB Cache 2.5-Inch HDD

    2 - Western Digital WD10JPVT Scorpio Blue 1 TB 2.5" HDD

    Any other recommendations? I am willing to buy from amazon or newegg. Thanks.


    I Used a Seagate Momentus Laptop Hard Drive 5400RPM and it worked like a charm easy install.
    I wouldn't bother using Hybrid or SSD as the PS3 use's SATA 1 and could never take advantage of those drives, as for a 7200RPM drive people say that they over heat and they draw more power than the PS3 can output but i think that's rubbish my friend has got the same drive as me but the 7200RPM version and has never had a problem so the choice is yours
  9. Best answer selected by orestesdd.
Ask a new question

Read More

Console Gaming SATA Hard Drives PlayStation Video Games