Non-water "water cooler"

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Yep. Its called antifreeze. Pure antifreeze has a slightly higher thermal conductivity than ordinary distilled water. And it will not damage your water cooling system either which means you can use it in a water cooling setup too. But make sure it is the right type some non standard types will wreck it.
AREA_51

Awaks

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2002
Not usually a great idea as its viscosity (thickness/density) is higher and your pump wont perform as well as with (at least mostly) water simply because you will lose on flow rate which usually has a better effect than marginally higher thermal conductivity. But again it might be worth experimenting-what applies to my setup wont necessarily apply to yours. But as a general idea-stick with water plus something to kill the bugs in there and (hopefully) reduce the *battery effect* that occurs naturally between to different metels in a closed loop( ie something that di-ionises water, or, if you have a resevoir, put a *sacrificial* metal to absorb the electrons (note this will usually be effective for 6-8 mnths depending on the size an metal, but any fishing sink should work ;)

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
All true. I dont use pure antifreeze myself. I just use a little bit with mainly water. Though on some of the larger setups running real big pipes I dont know how much difference it would realy make. I wold think not a great deal. Then again I dont know.
Later
AREA_51

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NOT true, Drag racers rarely use antifreeze because pure water cools better! The few that don't run pure water are using water plus watter wetter!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

scalar

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
Hmm, I would bet that dragracers don't use antifreeze, because when you have a $300,000 vehicle, you DON'T store it in an unheated garage.. :)

It's like the SUV drivers who won't even dare to drive down a gravel road, much less a muddy trail..

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
Yeah, but antifreeze also adds boil-over protection and corrosion protection.

I guess they don't care since the engines blow up anyway (someone told me that they have to rebuild the engines after every race).

As for computer usage, I use 10% standard green antifreeze and 90% water.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They use pure water or water with a little "water wetter" because water cools better than antifreeze. Simple. It works better.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Yes water cools better, but it also boils at a lower temp than water plus antifreeze. Once it starts boiling the steam gets trapped in the system and it stops cooling. Plus pure water does nothing to prevent galvonic corosion.

I just can't see dragsters using pure water. Water plus waterwetter, yes. Maybe if they had an all aluminum engine and an all aluminum radiator I can see using pure water, since the engines only run at full load for a short period. Still, I'll take Crashman's word on it as he has never steered me wrong before.

F1 racers definately use waterwetter plus water. Unlike antifreeze waterwetter actually increases the cooling efficency of water. Plus it kills of biotics, stops galvonic reactions and increases the boiling point. You have the best of all possible worlds.

As an aside both dragsters and F1 racers use pure ethanol for fuel. It burns better than gasoline and at the end of the day you can drink it ;-) It would sure make syphoning gas alot sweeter.

PS: I actually drank pure ethanol on 2 occasions (please don't ask the occasions) and it is anything but sweet. It's even worse than drinking gas (again please don't ask) and it's not something I'll ever do again.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, I don't think you have to worry about boiling over a drag racer, with an aluminum radiator and only a few seconds of high load condition. Boiling over the engine is not a factor, detonation is however, they want to keep the engine below 180F to prevent detonation. Of course these would be the stock based engines, as the higher classes often use no cooling at all!

LCARS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
Just be careful you don't drink Methanol. It's 5X's less intoxicating, but 5X's more poisonous than Ethanol. Plus very easy to mix up the labels... as one story in the <A HREF="http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2001-22.html" target="_new">Darwin Awards</A> archives tells us.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Definately. Ultra high pure HPLC grade ethanol only

<b>Despite the huge top speeds, amazing acceleration and incredible G-Forces of Top Fuel Dragsters, a standed riced up Lancer often has a larger rear wing.</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
PooBaa, in responce to your sig, check this out...

<A HREF="http://www.riceboypage.com/" target="_new">http://www.riceboypage.com/</A>

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i know. Ive seen lots of rice. I see it all in melbourne

the fake rotors glued onto drum brakes
the stickers
the dual 6" fart pipes for the sub 1.4L engine
so lowered it doesnt handle properly anymore

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>