XP Administrator can print, other users can't

I am Administrator of my home PC (Gateway, running XP Home edition) with
others using the same machine under individual User profiles. I can print
successfully to my USB connected HP printer.
Within the past month, other Users get nothing when printing from any MS
application or AOL browser; the printer pulls paper through, normally
advances line-by-line while print head moves as if printing, but pages come
out blank. They Log Off & yell for Dad.
I Log On as another User and the same thing happens, even
Printer>Properties>Print Test Page. I Log On as Admin & printing works smooth.
Reinstall of printer software hasn't corrected this.
XP Home OS is fully updated; running Zone Alarm & Norton AV 2005.
What happened?
4 answers Last reply
More about administrator print users

    Make sure that Users have write access to \windows\system32\printers.
    Someone had an issue doing this on Home once but I don't have that version.
    Attempt the security change first and if it's not clear how to set the
    permissions on the directory turn off some of the GDI printing functions:

    Disable Advanced printing feature in
    Printer / Properties / Advanced

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Hawkeye Dad" <Hawkeye Dad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am Administrator of my home PC (Gateway, running XP Home edition) with
    > others using the same machine under individual User profiles. I can print
    > successfully to my USB connected HP printer.
    > Within the past month, other Users get nothing when printing from any MS
    > application or AOL browser; the printer pulls paper through, normally
    > advances line-by-line while print head moves as if printing, but pages
    come
    > out blank. They Log Off & yell for Dad.
    > I Log On as another User and the same thing happens, even
    > Printer>Properties>Print Test Page. I Log On as Admin & printing works
    smooth.
    > Reinstall of printer software hasn't corrected this.
    > XP Home OS is fully updated; running Zone Alarm & Norton AV 2005.
    > What happened?

    It's often seen with XP Home PCs running Norton Antivirus.

    Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Right click on the
    Printer and select Properties and then click on the Advanced tab. Set it to
    Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler. There is
    something in Norton that prevents the Limited Users accessing the Print
    Spooler.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Hawkeye Dad" <Hawkeye Dad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am Administrator of my home PC (Gateway, running XP Home edition) with
    > others using the same machine under individual User profiles. I can print
    > successfully to my USB connected HP printer.
    > Within the past month, other Users get nothing when printing from any MS
    > application or AOL browser; the printer pulls paper through, normally
    > advances line-by-line while print head moves as if printing, but pages
    > come
    > out blank. They Log Off & yell for Dad.
    > I Log On as another User and the same thing happens, even
    > Printer>Properties>Print Test Page. I Log On as Admin & printing works
    > smooth.
    > Reinstall of printer software hasn't corrected this.
    > XP Home OS is fully updated; running Zone Alarm & Norton AV 2005.
    > What happened?

    Thanks for the info. I changed the settings as described and saw no change.
    Any next steps?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > It's often seen with XP Home PCs running Norton Antivirus.
    >
    > Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Right click on the
    > Printer and select Properties and then click on the Advanced tab. Set it to
    > Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler. There is
    > something in Norton that prevents the Limited Users accessing the Print
    > Spooler.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Hawkeye Dad" <Hawkeye Dad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am Administrator of my home PC (Gateway, running XP Home edition) with
    > > others using the same machine under individual User profiles. I can print
    > > successfully to my USB connected HP printer.
    > > Within the past month, other Users get nothing when printing from any MS
    > > application or AOL browser; the printer pulls paper through, normally
    > > advances line-by-line while print head moves as if printing, but pages
    > > come
    > > out blank. They Log Off & yell for Dad.
    > > I Log On as another User and the same thing happens, even
    > > Printer>Properties>Print Test Page. I Log On as Admin & printing works
    > > smooth.
    > > Reinstall of printer software hasn't corrected this.
    > > XP Home OS is fully updated; running Zone Alarm & Norton AV 2005.
    > > What happened?

    Try enabling the built in XP firewall and disabling the Zone Alarm. (If you
    feel safer taking it off internet access to try this, then please do so).

    That way we can check whether it might be Zone Alarm that is causing the
    problem.

    If there is no change, then try the same thing with Norton. Again, if you
    wish to disconnect from the internet then please do so, but just remember to
    reconnect it afterwards once you've enabled your protection.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    > Thanks for the info. I changed the settings as described and saw no
    > change.
    > Any next steps?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> It's often seen with XP Home PCs running Norton Antivirus.
    >>
    >> Go into the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Right click on
    >> the
    >> Printer and select Properties and then click on the Advanced tab. Set it
    >> Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler. There is
    >> something in Norton that prevents the Limited Users accessing the Print
    >> Spooler.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Hawkeye Dad" <Hawkeye Dad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am Administrator of my home PC (Gateway, running XP Home edition) with
    >> > others using the same machine under individual User profiles. I can
    >> > print
    >> > successfully to my USB connected HP printer.
    >> > Within the past month, other Users get nothing when printing from any
    >> > MS
    >> > application or AOL browser; the printer pulls paper through, normally
    >> > advances line-by-line while print head moves as if printing, but pages
    >> > come
    >> > out blank. They Log Off & yell for Dad.
    >> > I Log On as another User and the same thing happens, even
    >> > Printer>Properties>Print Test Page. I Log On as Admin & printing works
    >> > smooth.
    >> > Reinstall of printer software hasn't corrected this.
    >> > XP Home OS is fully updated; running Zone Alarm & Norton AV 2005.
    >> > What happened?

Windows XP Printers