Going to Aruba in the Caribbean for Vacation

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Does anyone know if VZW sells a plan that will allow for outbound calls on
VZW from Aruba in the Caribbean? I can't be positive from reading their
website. Although it sounds like they do not.

Pressing the odds, if any service is available, does anyone know if enhanced
services like MOU EN data is available and/or voicemail indicators would
work?

-Frank

Did you happen to see this page on their site?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/internationalsvcs/index.jsp

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if VZW sells a plan that will allow for outbound calls on
> VZW from Aruba in the Caribbean? I can't be positive from reading their
> website. Although it sounds like they do not.
>
> Pressing the odds, if any service is available, does anyone know if
> enhanced services like MOU EN data is available and/or voicemail
> indicators would work?
>
> -Frank

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Yeah. After following various links on that page I found that service is
available in Venezuela. Aruba is about 30 miles from the coast of
Venequela. Not sure how small of places that list would list. Was just
hoping someone knew about Aruba for sure.

-Frank

"J" <J@J.com> wrote in message news:J3C7e.20637$1p4.19623@trndny06...
> Did you happen to see this page on their site?
>
> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/internationalsvcs/index.jsp
>
> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know if VZW sells a plan that will allow for outbound calls
>> on VZW from Aruba in the Caribbean? I can't be positive from reading
>> their website. Although it sounds like they do not.
>>
>> Pressing the odds, if any service is available, does anyone know if
>> enhanced services like MOU EN data is available and/or voicemail
>> indicators would work?
>>
>> -Frank

There's service also available in Aruba. It's listed there.
http://www.vzwrentinternational.com/coverage.asp?regionID=159. I don't know
if this helps but maybe it can. You won't be able to use your own phone
there since Aruba's wireless standard is GSM. That is unless you also
subscribe to one of the other GSM carriers such as Cingular or you have the
Samsung SCH-a790 which is both CDMA and GSM. From what I see, the only way
to get service there is by renting a phone. I'm getting this info from the
site so if someone knows more, hopefully then can help better. Just out of
curiosity, wouldn't you rather not deal with having a cell phone if you're
going to Aruba for vacation?
> Yeah. After following various links on that page I found that service is
> available in Venezuela. Aruba is about 30 miles from the coast of
> Venequela. Not sure how small of places that list would list. Was just
> hoping someone knew about Aruba for sure.
>
> -Frank
>
> "J" <J@J.com> wrote in message news:J3C7e.20637$1p4.19623@trndny06...
>> Did you happen to see this page on their site?
>>
>> http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/internationalsvcs/index.jsp
>>
>> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know if VZW sells a plan that will allow for outbound calls
>>> on VZW from Aruba in the Caribbean? I can't be positive from reading
>>> their website. Although it sounds like they do not.
>>>
>>> Pressing the odds, if any service is available, does anyone know if
>>> enhanced services like MOU EN data is available and/or voicemail
>>> indicators would work?
>>>
>>> -Frank

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

> Just out of curiosity, wouldn't you rather not deal with having a cell
> phone if you're going to Aruba for vacation?

Thanks for the help. I will consider a GSM phone/pre-pay plan, but will
probably just pay the exorbitant Hotel rates.

I am leaving an 86 y/o mother-in-law at home house sitting. She needs to be
checked on often. No matter what I will have to make a number of calls.
Probably average about two a day.

-Frank

Frankster wrote:
>>Just out of curiosity, wouldn't you rather not deal with having a cell
>>phone if you're going to Aruba for vacation?
>

> Thanks for the help. I will consider a GSM phone/pre-pay plan, but will
> probably just pay the exorbitant Hotel rates.
>
> I am leaving an 86 y/o mother-in-law at home house sitting. She needs to be
> checked on often. No matter what I will have to make a number of calls.
> Probably average about two a day.
>
> -Frank

Most prepaid GSM plans (Tmobile, Cingular, etc.) WILL NOT WORK outside
the US service area. Consider buying (eBay) and UNLOCKED quad-band GSM
phone (can be found for <$200). This is a worthwhile investment if you
travel internationally as little as once a year, in my view. With this
UNLOCKED phone, you can buy a LOCAL prepaid SIM card in Aruba.

Here's one reliable (but not cheap) domestic source for an Aruba SIM:

http://www.telestial.com/products/aruba_sim.htm

Note that incoming calls are free with this SIM. You could then sign up
with a callback service to dramatically reduce your calls to the States...

What about pre-paid phone cards? I really don't know anything about them
but I'm wondering, in this reply, whether they provide any benefits when
travelling? Of course, you need to get to a phone to use them but I thought
I'd just pose the question.

J wrote:
> What about pre-paid phone cards? I really don't know anything about them
> but I'm wondering, in this reply, whether they provide any benefits when
> travelling? Of course, you need to get to a phone to use them but I thought
> I'd just pose the question.

[SNIP]

In fact you raise a good point. There are prepaid phone cards that can
save significant money on international calls. There's one available in
St. Martin FWI for use in conjunction with the Amigo GSM service
available there. There could be a similar circumstance in Aruba, but I
don't know.

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if VZW sells a plan that will allow for outbound calls on
> VZW from Aruba in the Caribbean? I can't be positive from reading their
> website. Although it sounds like they do not.
>
> Pressing the odds, if any service is available, does anyone know if
enhanced
> services like MOU EN data is available and/or voicemail indicators would
> work?
>
> -Frank

If the hotel has HIGH-SPEED data service, take "Vonage" with you (yes it
does work).

Dean

We travel to Aruba at least once a year (timeshare). Forget Verizon for this
trip. Communications network (GSM cell and landline) there is run by SETAR,
a monopoly. The service is quite good. As another poster indicated, incoming
cell calls are free for many plans. You'll have to buy a SIM card from a
SETAR outlet (there are a number of them on the island), and make sure your
phone is compatible.

I decided to forget the cell phone, and bought a "Ventaha" prepaid landline
card, which you can find at hotels and convenience stores. Less than 20c per
minute to call home. The downside is the cards only work at BLACK payphones,
which are located in a spotty fashion in some hotels, downtown, and at SETAR
stores. You can use the card from hotel rooms in the larger hotels, but the
surcharge is murderous. The $20 Ventaha card lasted me the week with time
left over, then I e-mailed the PIN to a friend who was going there so they
could use the leftovers.

SETAR are fairly helpful. If you e-mail them they will probably provide you
with whatever info you need.

I am insanely jealous of anyone going to Aruba. We have been thinking about
nothing but returning almost since we left, but the airfare is pretty steep.
It's the only place we can absolutely forget our cares, and I think the
missing cell phone on my belt has a lot to do with that. Please enjoy
yourself, and by all means do the Wednesday night "all you can eat"
Argentine babyback ribs at the Paddock downtown. Ask for "Twan", the terrace
manager, and ask him about his days as a Dutch Marine and a Policeman in
Holland. Maybe he'll front you a pitcher of Heineken to go with the ribs.
Mmmmmm.

Dean
____________________________________

DR. FAFOOFNlK wrote:
> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know if VZW sells a plan that will allow for outbound
calls on
> > VZW from Aruba in the Caribbean? I can't be positive from reading
their
> > website. Although it sounds like they do not.
> >
> > Pressing the odds, if any service is available, does anyone know if
> enhanced
> > services like MOU EN data is available and/or voicemail indicators
would
> > work?
> >
> > -Frank
> >

> Leave the cell phone in your luggage, use it to call loved ones when
you get
> back in the U.S.A. to tell them what a wonderful time you had in
Aruba.
> Leave a copy of your itinerary and hotel number with neighbors, ask
them to
> call if and only if a problem arises :)
> Enjoy the trip.....We want to "do" Aruba someday soon.....

Sorry, trailer trash doesn't "do" anything but 40 ounces of malt liquor.