printing from WinXP to Win95

i have a network consisting of a router connected to a WinXP machine
and a Win95 machine. a Lexmark 1020 Jetprinter is connected to the
Win95 machine. My problem is I cannot print from the Win95 machine to
the WinXp machine - i have set up the printer in WinXp and when i
"print" it does appear in the print queue on the Win95 machine - but
then it just vanishes.

i have a feeling it might be a driver issue - i installed the XP
lexmark drivers on the XP machine, and have the WIn95 lexmark drivers
on the 95 machine. how should i set things up in order to enable
printing from XP to 95?

thanks... please reply to group
3 answers Last reply
More about printing winxp win95

    Sorry but I am completely confused about your setup and what you want to
    do. So, I am going to take the following to be correct and base my
    suggestions on those "facts". Let me know if I am in error and we will go
    from there.

    You have a Lexmark 1020 Jetprinter attached to a computer. The operating
    system on that computer, the one with the printer connected directly to
    it, is Windows 95.

    You also have a computer on which Windows XP is installed

    Both of these machines are connected to a router and are, together, a
    peer-to-peer network. Other than the printing issue, the network works
    correctly: you can browse and use files from one machine on the other.
    This, you have not stated. I am assuming it to be correct nevertheless.

    You now want to be able to print from each computer to the printer
    connected to the Windows 95 machine.

    1. Install the printer software on the Windows 95 machine in the usual
    way. Enable printer sharing on that machine. Run a printer test. The
    printer should be usable as a local printer. i.e. e.g. you should be able
    to print from WordPad on the Windows 95 machine to that printer. Make sure
    it is selected as the default printer.

    2. Run the Add Printer wizard on the Windows XP machine. Specify Network
    printer. You might be asked to insert your CD to install XP drivers for
    the printer. Follow the on-screen prompts.

    Let us know if you want/need any further instructions/clarifications.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User
    PS
    You asked the question on the group. Answering on the group is thus the
    way it is supposed to be done. ;-)

    :
    : i have a feeling it might be a driver issue - i installed the XP
    : lexmark drivers on the XP machine, and have the WIn95 lexmark drivers
    : on the 95 machine. how should i set things up in order to enable
    : printing from XP to 95?
    :
    : thanks... please reply to group
    :

    According to Lexmark, the normal Windows Network sharing procedures will not
    work on this system using Win95/98. Here are their instructions:

    How to Share the Printer over a Network in Microsoft Windows 95/98
    http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:3:0:0&framed=&docid=140&relevance=1

    Here is a tiny URL to the article: http://tinyurl.com/7lesk

    PattyL

    "niz" <niz@infidel.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >i have a network consisting of a router connected to a WinXP machine
    > and a Win95 machine. a Lexmark 1020 Jetprinter is connected to the
    > Win95 machine. My problem is I cannot print from the Win95 machine to
    > the WinXp machine - i have set up the printer in WinXp and when i
    > "print" it does appear in the print queue on the Win95 machine - but
    > then it just vanishes.
    >
    > i have a feeling it might be a driver issue - i installed the XP
    > lexmark drivers on the XP machine, and have the WIn95 lexmark drivers
    > on the 95 machine. how should i set things up in order to enable
    > printing from XP to 95?
    >
    > thanks... please reply to group

    Hi.
    Glad you were nearby to catch this. Otherwise "niz" surely would have been
    wandering around in circles.

    Tom

    "PattyL" <pattyl@XXmvps.org> wrote in message
[...]
    : >
    : > i have a feeling it might be a driver issue - i installed the XP
    : > lexmark drivers on the XP machine, and have the WIn95 lexmark drivers
    : > on the 95 machine. how should i set things up in order to enable
    : > printing from XP to 95?
    : >
    : > thanks... please reply to group
    : >