Faxing...

I have installed the Fax Printer Driver and when I click on the icon on my
desktop and go to Tools -> Configure Fax I got the following error message
.... A connection to the fax server cannot be made.

Also when I go to Tools ->Fax Printer Config I get the following error
message ... The request operation cannot be completed. Check the connection
to the fax printrer, and the fax printer configuartion.

Any ieas would greatly be appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about faxing

    You'll need to provide some information.
    1. Is your fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list and has it ever worked with
    XP Fax before?
    2. How did you install XP Fax? What messages did you receive during the
    installation and what was the source of your installation files?
    3. Was this an installation of Windows XP to which SP2 was applied?
    4. Did you disable all AV and firewall software before you installed? What
    happens if you disable them now?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed the Fax Printer Driver and when I click on the icon on my
    > desktop and go to Tools -> Configure Fax I got the following error message
    > ... A connection to the fax server cannot be made.
    >
    > Also when I go to Tools ->Fax Printer Config I get the following error
    > message ... The request operation cannot be completed. Check the
    > connection
    > to the fax printrer, and the fax printer configuartion.
    >
    > Any ieas would greatly be appreciated.

    1. The fax has worked before. However, I had some major computer issues and
    did a system restore and now it does not work. As to Windows XP HCL I am not
    sure what that is.

    2. Install through add/remove programs and then click on add/remove windows
    components.

    3. After I did the system restore and did all the necessary updates
    (including SP2 using the windows SP2 cd) I then did step 2 to install the fax
    services.

    4. Disabling NFW and NAV did nothing.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > You'll need to provide some information.
    > 1. Is your fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list and has it ever worked with
    > XP Fax before?
    > 2. How did you install XP Fax? What messages did you receive during the
    > installation and what was the source of your installation files?
    > 3. Was this an installation of Windows XP to which SP2 was applied?
    > 4. Did you disable all AV and firewall software before you installed? What
    > happens if you disable them now?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed the Fax Printer Driver and when I click on the icon on my
    > > desktop and go to Tools -> Configure Fax I got the following error message
    > > ... A connection to the fax server cannot be made.
    > >
    > > Also when I go to Tools ->Fax Printer Config I get the following error
    > > message ... The request operation cannot be completed. Check the
    > > connection
    > > to the fax printrer, and the fax printer configuartion.
    > >
    > > Any ieas would greatly be appreciated.

    Rather important details.
    Fixing problems with a system restore has many drawbacks and makes
    troubleshooting nearly impossible.
    Are you saying that your system restore took you back to a point before SP2
    had been applied?
    When fax was installed the first time, was it installed before you had
    applied SP2?
    If so, you should install fax before you install SP2. SP2 may prevent the
    successful installation of fax.
    --
    > 1. The fax has worked before. However, I had some major computer issues
    > and
    > did a system restore and now it does not work. As to Windows XP HCL I am
    > not
    > sure what that is.
    >
    > 2. Install through add/remove programs and then click on add/remove
    > windows
    > components.
    >
    > 3. After I did the system restore and did all the necessary updates
    > (including SP2 using the windows SP2 cd) I then did step 2 to install the
    > fax
    > services.
    >
    > 4. Disabling NFW and NAV did nothing.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> You'll need to provide some information.
    >> 1. Is your fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list and has it ever worked
    >> with
    >> XP Fax before?
    >> 2. How did you install XP Fax? What messages did you receive during the
    >> installation and what was the source of your installation files?
    >> 3. Was this an installation of Windows XP to which SP2 was applied?
    >> 4. Did you disable all AV and firewall software before you installed?
    >> What
    >> happens if you disable them now?
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have installed the Fax Printer Driver and when I click on the icon on
    >> >my
    >> > desktop and go to Tools -> Configure Fax I got the following error
    >> > message
    >> > ... A connection to the fax server cannot be made.
    >> >
    >> > Also when I go to Tools ->Fax Printer Config I get the following error
    >> > message ... The request operation cannot be completed. Check the
    >> > connection
    >> > to the fax printrer, and the fax printer configuartion.
    >> >
    >> > Any ieas would greatly be appreciated.

    My computer was purchase pre SP2 times. The first time I did use the fax was
    before SP2. Do I need to do another system restore? If I have to do another
    system restore what would you recommend so I know what software/elements to
    install first. I have Office XP and use the various messanger programs the
    most.
    Thanks.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Rather important details.
    > Fixing problems with a system restore has many drawbacks and makes
    > troubleshooting nearly impossible.
    > Are you saying that your system restore took you back to a point before SP2
    > had been applied?
    > When fax was installed the first time, was it installed before you had
    > applied SP2?
    > If so, you should install fax before you install SP2. SP2 may prevent the
    > successful installation of fax.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > 1. The fax has worked before. However, I had some major computer issues
    > > and
    > > did a system restore and now it does not work. As to Windows XP HCL I am
    > > not
    > > sure what that is.
    > >
    > > 2. Install through add/remove programs and then click on add/remove
    > > windows
    > > components.
    > >
    > > 3. After I did the system restore and did all the necessary updates
    > > (including SP2 using the windows SP2 cd) I then did step 2 to install the
    > > fax
    > > services.
    > >
    > > 4. Disabling NFW and NAV did nothing.
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You'll need to provide some information.
    > >> 1. Is your fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list and has it ever worked
    > >> with
    > >> XP Fax before?
    > >> 2. How did you install XP Fax? What messages did you receive during the
    > >> installation and what was the source of your installation files?
    > >> 3. Was this an installation of Windows XP to which SP2 was applied?
    > >> 4. Did you disable all AV and firewall software before you installed?
    > >> What
    > >> happens if you disable them now?
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I just looked at the system restore and there is a restore point prior to
    SP2. Should I do that. I understand that I would have to reinstall all
    software.

    "Marc" wrote:

    > My computer was purchase pre SP2 times. The first time I did use the fax was
    > before SP2. Do I need to do another system restore? If I have to do another
    > system restore what would you recommend so I know what software/elements to
    > install first. I have Office XP and use the various messanger programs the
    > most.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > Rather important details.
    > > Fixing problems with a system restore has many drawbacks and makes
    > > troubleshooting nearly impossible.
    > > Are you saying that your system restore took you back to a point before SP2
    > > had been applied?
    > > When fax was installed the first time, was it installed before you had
    > > applied SP2?
    > > If so, you should install fax before you install SP2. SP2 may prevent the
    > > successful installation of fax.
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > 1. The fax has worked before. However, I had some major computer issues
    > > > and
    > > > did a system restore and now it does not work. As to Windows XP HCL I am
    > > > not
    > > > sure what that is.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Install through add/remove programs and then click on add/remove
    > > > windows
    > > > components.
    > > >
    > > > 3. After I did the system restore and did all the necessary updates
    > > > (including SP2 using the windows SP2 cd) I then did step 2 to install the
    > > > fax
    > > > services.
    > > >
    > > > 4. Disabling NFW and NAV did nothing.

    There's no definitive answer on this. I have never been a fan of using
    system restore to solve problems. It's a sledge hammer approach. However,
    since you've obviously been using it already, one option would be to restore
    to pre SP2, then reinstall fax before you install SP2. There is no guarantee
    it would work.

    Many users who have updated an older version of Windows XP to SP2 before
    they try to install the fax service appear to be encountering a problem
    installing the fax service. In these cases there is no error message during
    the installation (distinguishing this from the very common problem where the
    installation routine states it cannot find the necessary files). The
    installation appears to proceed without error, but when it is over there is
    no fax printer apparent and any attempt to send a fax results in the error
    message "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The Fax Wizard will now
    close." This problem appears to occur because the security data base is
    corrupted as documented here:
    Note that this article describes a hotfix that users can obtain that might
    fix the problem and that Microsoft does NOT recommend simply running the
    Esentutl.exe utility to recover from security database corruption. In
    addition, the fax developers have worked on some modifications to the
    fxsocm.inf file that might permit installation of the fax service. This is
    an unsupported workaround that I can provide offline for use at your own
    risk if you provide a valid email address and can accept zip files as
    attachments.
    --
    >I just looked at the system restore and there is a restore point prior to
    > SP2. Should I do that. I understand that I would have to reinstall all
    > software.
    >
    > "Marc" wrote:
    >
    >> My computer was purchase pre SP2 times. The first time I did use the fax
    >> was
    >> before SP2. Do I need to do another system restore? If I have to do
    >> another
    >> system restore what would you recommend so I know what software/elements
    >> install first. I have Office XP and use the various messanger programs
    >> the
    >> most.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Rather important details.
    >> > Fixing problems with a system restore has many drawbacks and makes
    >> > troubleshooting nearly impossible.
    >> > Are you saying that your system restore took you back to a point before
    >> > SP2
    >> > had been applied?
    >> > When fax was installed the first time, was it installed before you had
    >> > applied SP2?
    >> > If so, you should install fax before you install SP2. SP2 may prevent
    >> > the
    >> > successful installation of fax.
    >> > --
    >> > Russ Valentine