Andy

I am clueless wwhen it comes to faxing. How do I find out my fax number...if
someone send something to me. How do I get started with faxing something
going out?

In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
with a live telephone line attached.

1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
2. In the Search box type: FAX , and hit enter.
3. Click on the tutorial titled: "Using Fax".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Andy" wrote:

| I am clueless wwhen it comes to faxing. How do I find out my fax number...if
| someone send something to me. How do I get started with faxing something
| going out?

Andy

Ok...I'll try it. Thanks.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
> with a live telephone line attached.
>
> 1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
> 2. In the Search box type: FAX , and hit enter.
> 3. Click on the tutorial titled: "Using Fax".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Andy" wrote:
>
> | I am clueless wwhen it comes to faxing. How do I find out my fax number...if
> | someone send something to me. How do I get started with faxing something
> | going out?

Andy

If the house phone that I use is hooked into my cable modem...is that
sufficient to fax..and if so, how would I proceed? Thanks.

"Andy" wrote:

> Ok...I'll try it. Thanks.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
> > with a live telephone line attached.
> >
> > 1. Open XP's "Help and Support Center".
> > 2. In the Search box type: FAX , and hit enter.
> > 3. Click on the tutorial titled: "Using Fax".
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "Andy" wrote:
> >
> > | I am clueless wwhen it comes to faxing. How do I find out my fax number...if
> > | someone send something to me. How do I get started with faxing something
> > | going out?

Unlike most dial-up modems, a broadband modem is not capable
of connecting to fax machines, so you cannot send or receive faxes
directly. Fax uses analog signals and broadband is based on digital.

In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
with a live telephone line attached. You cannot use broadband unless you
use a web-base fax service, such as eFax:
http://www2.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/homePage?rqcp=1

Or consider purchasing a conventional fax machine and connect it to your
phone line.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Andy" wrote:

| If the house phone that I use is hooked into my cable modem...is that
| sufficient to fax..and if so, how would I proceed? Thanks.

Andy

Your fax number is the same number allocated to you by the telephone
company..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am clueless wwhen it comes to faxing. How do I find out my fax
>number...if
> someone send something to me. How do I get started with faxing something
> going out?

Andy

and then how would I set up and if...my modem and phone are in place...I have
fax console on my laptop...now how do I send and receive faxes. Thanks.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Andy
>
> Your fax number is the same number allocated to you by the telephone
> company..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am clueless wwhen it comes to faxing. How do I find out my fax
> >number...if
> > someone send something to me. How do I get started with faxing something
> > going out?

You can start by navigating to Start Help and Support. Clock on it.
Type Faxing into the slot. Click on the arrow on the right end of the
slot. Click on Using Fax.

Also, try clicking on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152196/en-us
to get a MSKB article on the subject.

Having read and done that, let us know what, if anything else, you want to
know.

Tom
MSMVP

: and then how would I set up and if...my modem and phone are in place...I
have
: fax console on my laptop...now how do I send and receive faxes. Thanks.
:
: "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
:
: > Andy
: >
: > Your fax number is the same number allocated to you by the telephone
: > company..
: >
: > --
: > Mike Hall
: > MVP - Windows Shell/User
: >
: >
: > "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:ADEC4C7B-B63C-4E7D-B40C-736E07220072@microsoft.com...
: > >I am clueless wwhen it comes to faxing. How do I find out my fax
: > >number...if
: > > someone send something to me. How do I get started with faxing
something
: > > going out?
: >
: >
: >

First a fax has nothing to do with the internet.
It uses the same phone line as a standard phone.
You need a fax modem. Most newer computers have this as standard.
You can't fax when online if you are using the phone line.
If the fax software is installed you just "print" to the fax rather than the
printer and follow the prompts.

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am clueless wwhen it comes to faxing. How do I find out my fax
>number...if
> someone send something to me. How do I get started with faxing something
> going out?

JS

Hello,

Can I use a USB modem with a live telephone line attached?
After I switch to the USB modem, the service go to idle state(even after
reboot)?
What's the problem?
Please help.