New network printer

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way of adding a new default network printer
to all of the existing user profiles on a computer, so that the next time
when the users logon to that computerthe new printer will be available? I
don't want to delete any profiles.

Situation: 1 computer, over 20 different user profiles.

I can logon to the computer as the local admin.

Any suggestions, or ideas are appreciated.
s1mplebra1n

--
Sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing
4 answers Last reply

    Have a look at Bruce Sanderson's article at:

    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "s1mple_bra1n" <s1mplebra1n@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a way of adding a new default network printer
    > to all of the existing user profiles on a computer, so that the next time
    > when the users logon to that computerthe new printer will be available? I
    > don't want to delete any profiles.
    >
    > Situation: 1 computer, over 20 different user profiles.
    >
    > I can logon to the computer as the local admin.
    >
    > Any suggestions, or ideas are appreciated.
    > s1mplebra1n
    >

    > --
    > Sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing

    I am having the same issue as you! I am Tech person for a school district and
    multiple studends log onto the same XP Pro machine and need to be able to
    access the network printer. It will be a pain to copy to all the existing
    profiles, I hope someone can tell us how to copy the printer to all the
    existing profiles. If I find something out about this I will let you know.

    Good luck!

    "s1mple_bra1n" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a way of adding a new default network printer
    > to all of the existing user profiles on a computer, so that the next time
    > when the users logon to that computerthe new printer will be available? I
    > don't want to delete any profiles.
    >
    > Situation: 1 computer, over 20 different user profiles.
    >
    > I can logon to the computer as the local admin.
    >
    > Any suggestions, or ideas are appreciated.
    > s1mplebra1n
    >

    > --
    > Sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing

    See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "kwh" <kwh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having the same issue as you! I am Tech person for a school district
    >and
    > multiple studends log onto the same XP Pro machine and need to be able to
    > access the network printer. It will be a pain to copy to all the existing
    > profiles, I hope someone can tell us how to copy the printer to all the
    > existing profiles. If I find something out about this I will let you know.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > "s1mple_bra1n" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there is a way of adding a new default network
    >> printer
    >> to all of the existing user profiles on a computer, so that the next time
    >> when the users logon to that computerthe new printer will be available?
    >> don't want to delete any profiles.
    >>
    >> Situation: 1 computer, over 20 different user profiles.
    >>
    >> I can logon to the computer as the local admin.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions, or ideas are appreciated.
    >> s1mplebra1n
    >>

    >> --
    >> Sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing

    Hello,

    I did actually manage to find the website link you added below. Running the
    batch file on the computer sets up the printer to be added "silently" to the
    clients printer list the next time they logon, but it won't work unless you
    go into gpedit.msc and disable the "Point and Print Restrictions"
    Administrative Template policy on the computer. It's a small price to pay if
    you don't want to delete 30 client profiles from the computer, or logon as
    every client to add the printer.

    Now does anyone know how I can edit this policy remotely? Am I starting to
    be efficient here, or am I getting lazy?

    Thanks again for all your help!
    s1mple_bra1n

    --

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "kwh" <kwh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am having the same issue as you! I am Tech person for a school district
    > >and
    > > multiple studends log onto the same XP Pro machine and need to be able to
    > > access the network printer. It will be a pain to copy to all the existing
    > > profiles, I hope someone can tell us how to copy the printer to all the
    > > existing profiles. If I find something out about this I will let you know.
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >
    > > "s1mple_bra1n" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know if there is a way of adding a new default network
    > >> printer
    > >> to all of the existing user profiles on a computer, so that the next time
    > >> when the users logon to that computerthe new printer will be available?
    > >> don't want to delete any profiles.
    > >>
    > >> Situation: 1 computer, over 20 different user profiles.
    > >>
    > >> I can logon to the computer as the local admin.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions, or ideas are appreciated.
    > >> s1mplebra1n
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing

Computers Network Printer Windows XP Product