So beings the 'EverQuesting' of EQ2

From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:

"* The first group or person to attack a creature will receive any reward it
grants upon death, including loot and experience.
* Other players can assist in your fight by damaging your enemies or healing
you.
* You will receive a reduced XP reward if your group contributes less than
50% of the damage needed to kill something."
<snip grouping points>
* In an upcoming update: If a group prefers to play by the old rules, they
may make their targetted encounter exclusively locked (thus preventing help
unless asked for)."

IIRC, SoE touted the locked encounter system of EQ2 way back when. But
drastic times call for drastic measures, and the talking heads can see the
numbers of both games so they know more than we do (or mmorpgchart.com does)
about they way the EQ2 numbers are in comparison to the numbers for
EverQuest. It's been almost a year now, and I'd be willing to wager that
the suits counted on there being more people playing EQ2 than EQ by now.
That's pretty obviously not the case.

Looks to me as if they've begun the gradual process of making the two games
as similar as possible.

At least they're having the decency to make the new changes optional so that
the folks who prefer the locked encounters can run their groups accordingly.
Otherwise the people who have dedicated themselves to the SOE "Vision" would
be bent over.

Next I would expect they'll introduce a new pulling system that will allow
you to split gouped mobs ... again reversing a much advertised design
direction to make EQ2 more like EverQuest.

As for me ... I'll keep on using Harmony of Nature to split the entrance
mobs in Vxed and continue tossing heals on someone who looks to be in a
tight spot. That's the reason I came back to EQ, and I don't have any real
desire to re-start EQ2 again ... no mateter how EQ-esque they make it.

Crash

"Crash86" wrote:
> From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
>
> "* The first group or person to attack a creature will receive any reward
> it grants upon death, including loot and experience.
> * Other players can assist in your fight by damaging your enemies or
> healing you.
> * You will receive a reduced XP reward if your group contributes less than
> 50% of the damage needed to kill something."
> <snip grouping points>
> * In an upcoming update: If a group prefers to play by the old rules, they
> may make their targetted encounter exclusively locked (thus preventing
> help unless asked for)."

Sorry ... meant to include the link for the entire article.

Also, it should've been noted in my original post this is in the Producer's
Notes, so it hasn't gone live yet. I figured the discussion itself was
enough to warrant discussion. Found it perusing the board of my old EQ2
guild (stopping by to say "hi", as it were).

http://tinyurl.com/cj3mz

Crash

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in

> From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:

< word of SoE's crow with creme sauce snipped >

Too little too late. They're so pathetic.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:01:35 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
>>
>< word of SoE's crow with creme sauce snipped >
>
>Too little too late. They're so pathetic.

Yes,imagine they would have invested the money they took from
the EQ players to develop EQ2 to make EQ better,what about
countries outside the U.S.,marketing,merchandising,advertising etc.
for EQ is nonexistant in Europe.
Eq is so much deeper than WoW,the landscape is overwhelmingly
huge now,quests are endless,it even has become somewhat
newbie friendlly during the last year,most would like EQ Graphics
style better than WoW's.
If they would have done proper advertising,subscriber numbers
could have been much higher now.
They even managed to drive their hard core customers aways,
for the 1st time I wont buy the next expansion,because I am too
angry about SOE.
WoW is the number one selling game in Germany,and I am not
talking about online games only,while on the other hand I
never saw EQ or EQ2 in any sales chart in Germany.

Well,as you said,too little,too late.

Meldur

>>> From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
>>< word of SoE's crow with creme sauce snipped >
>>Too little too late. They're so pathetic.
>Yes,imagine they would have invested the money they took from
>the EQ players to develop EQ2 to make EQ better,what about
>countries outside the U.S.,marketing,merchandising,advertising etc.
>for EQ is nonexistant in Europe.

I'm sure the execs and SOE will say it all UbiSoft's fault. Since
they were responsible for the EU side and did such a bad job SOE
dropped them. I'm not saying I agree with SOE but that's their
view.

>Eq is so much deeper than WoW,the landscape is overwhelmingly
>huge now,quests are endless,it even has become somewhat
>newbie friendlly during the last year,most would like EQ Graphics
>style better than WoW's.

>If they would have done proper advertising,subscriber numbers
>could have been much higher now.

>They even managed to drive their hard core customers aways,
>for the 1st time I wont buy the next expansion,because I am too
>angry about SOE.

>WoW is the number one selling game in Germany,and I am not
>talking about online games only,while on the other hand I
>never saw EQ or EQ2 in any sales chart in Germany.

>Well,as you said,too little,too late.

Yep, the game failed to connect with customers at launch. Changing all
the things people didn't like isn't going to help it now. Making
EQ2 like every other mmog isn't the way to convince people to get it.
They need something unique (and then hope Blizzard doesn't copy it
and do it better!)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:22:24 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
wrote:

>From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
>SNIP<

If the boardroom suits had invested more money in EQ1 to freshen up
EXISTING content, from the newbie zones on up, instead of desperately
bringing out expansions of questionable worth, they wouldn't have
wasted their money, time and effort on EQ2. How they could make a
cock-up of EQ2 when they had YEARS of experience in game design just
makes me boggle.

The efforts they HAVE made to freshen EQ1's existing content have been
risible - for instance, no-one really cares Firiona Vie changed hands
or that the Trolls supposedly took their old home city back - big
yawns all 'round. Now, if PLAYERS had the capacity to influence which
race owned which zone, by taking part in some sort of "Zone Wars"
events, that would make things a bit more exciting.

As it is, there's a bit of waffle to be heard in certain zones,
supposedly from gods or demigods squaring up to each other, a few new
NPC's about for a couple of days, then the "Big Change". Boring in
the extreme. In connection with that, does anyone bother reading the
Journal? I pity whoever has to waste their time writing it up,
because no-one I know (including myself) gives a toss.

Mind you, with PoK now the "Universal Metropolis" who really needs
home cities? For example, the only gripes aired when the froggies
were moved to Rathe Mountains was that people thought the Hill Giants
had gone for good and whined about it ad nauseum - I've not heard a
single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being kicked out, or
a single Troll gloat over having the old swamp back :D

Palindrome

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
] On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:22:24 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
] wrote:
]
] >From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
] >SNIP<
]
] If the boardroom suits had invested more money in EQ1 to freshen up
] EXISTING content, from the newbie zones on up, instead of desperately
] bringing out expansions of questionable worth, they wouldn't have
] wasted their money, time and effort on EQ2. How they could make a
] cock-up of EQ2 when they had YEARS of experience in game design just
] makes me boggle.

I agree. It made little sense for them to do it that way.

] The efforts they HAVE made to freshen EQ1's existing content have been
] risible - for instance, no-one really cares Firiona Vie changed hands
] or that the Trolls supposedly took their old home city back - big

I got the impression this was their vague attempt at 'dynamic
content'. Which any first time DM, paper and pencil, could better
with less than 10 minutes thinking.

] the extreme. In connection with that, does anyone bother reading the
] Journal? I pity whoever has to waste their time writing it up,
] because no-one I know (including myself) gives a toss.

I glanced at some of the 'background story' items, but they just
didn't seem to be necessary. All we really needed was one page
total. 'The frogloks and the trolls don't like each other because in
25 words or less.' Not a 'mini-novel'. Yawn.

] had gone for good and whined about it ad nauseum - I've not heard a
] single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being kicked out, or
] a single Troll gloat over having the old swamp back :D

I have noticed one troll toon, roleplaying it, but after being
ignored... they stopped.

JimP.
--
http://www.linuxgazette.net/ Linux Gazette
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/ August 21, 2005

<damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> I've not heard a single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being
> kicked out

Well sure, cause it's downright idiotic to roleplay in a channel named "out
of character". =P

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in

> From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
>
> "* The first group or person to attack a creature will receive any
> reward it grants upon death, including loot and experience.
> * Other players can assist in your fight by damaging your enemies or
> healing you.
> * You will receive a reduced XP reward if your group contributes less
> than 50% of the damage needed to kill something."
> <snip grouping points>
> * In an upcoming update: If a group prefers to play by the old rules,
> they may make their targetted encounter exclusively locked (thus
> preventing help unless asked for)."
>
> IIRC, SoE touted the locked encounter system of EQ2 way back when.
> But drastic times call for drastic measures, and the talking heads can
> see the numbers of both games so they know more than we do (or
> mmorpgchart.com does) about they way the EQ2 numbers are in comparison
> to the numbers for EverQuest. It's been almost a year now, and I'd be
> willing to wager that the suits counted on there being more people
> playing EQ2 than EQ by now. That's pretty obviously not the case.
>
> Looks to me as if they've begun the gradual process of making the two
> games as similar as possible.
>
> At least they're having the decency to make the new changes optional
> so that the folks who prefer the locked encounters can run their
> groups accordingly. Otherwise the people who have dedicated themselves
> to the SOE "Vision" would be bent over.
>
> Next I would expect they'll introduce a new pulling system that will
> allow you to split gouped mobs ... again reversing a much advertised
> design direction to make EQ2 more like EverQuest.
>
> As for me ... I'll keep on using Harmony of Nature to split the
> entrance mobs in Vxed and continue tossing heals on someone who looks
> to be in a tight spot. That's the reason I came back to EQ, and I
> don't have any real desire to re-start EQ2 again ... no mateter how
> EQ-esque they make it.

I was talking to a friend who plays EQ2 almost exclusively, and she told
me that major changes were upcoming for EQ2, I did not realize they were
that major. I knew that spells and abilities were being redone
significantly. Anyway, I am with you on this. EQ still holds a lot more
interest for me than EQ2, I gave it a pretty fair shot, and found it
lacking for me, largely due to the feeling of being coddled along and
protected from the evil other players who might interfere with what I am
doing.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 37 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in

> Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>] had gone for good and whined about it ad nauseum - I've not heard a
>] single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being kicked out, or
>] a single Troll gloat over having the old swamp back :D
>
> I have noticed one troll toon, roleplaying it, but after being
> ignored... they stopped.

I remember all the hue and cry when the Frogloks took over the Troll city
though. Mind you, most of it was stupid hissy fit posts on boards, but, at
least a ruckus was raised.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:22:24 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
>>SNIP<
>
> If the boardroom suits had invested more money in EQ1 to freshen up
> EXISTING content, from the newbie zones on up, instead of desperately
> bringing out expansions of questionable worth, they wouldn't have
> wasted their money, time and effort on EQ2. How they could make a
> cock-up of EQ2 when they had YEARS of experience in game design just
> makes me boggle.

/agree. It's the goal of every business to milk as much money out of
their customers as possible. It's the successful ones that manage to do
it without making their customers feel like they're getting milked. SoE
lost their ability and/or desire to do this years ago.

> The efforts they HAVE made to freshen EQ1's existing content have been
> risible - for instance, no-one really cares Firiona Vie changed hands
> or that the Trolls supposedly took their old home city back - big
> yawns all 'round. Now, if PLAYERS had the capacity to influence which
> race owned which zone, by taking part in some sort of "Zone Wars"
> events, that would make things a bit more exciting.
>
> As it is, there's a bit of waffle to be heard in certain zones,
> supposedly from gods or demigods squaring up to each other, a few new
> NPC's about for a couple of days, then the "Big Change". Boring in
> the extreme. In connection with that, does anyone bother reading the
> Journal? I pity whoever has to waste their time writing it up,
> because no-one I know (including myself) gives a toss.
>
> Mind you, with PoK now the "Universal Metropolis" who really needs
> home cities? For example, the only gripes aired when the froggies
> were moved to Rathe Mountains was that people thought the Hill Giants
> had gone for good and whined about it ad nauseum - I've not heard a
> single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being kicked out, or
> a single Troll gloat over having the old swamp back :D

I disagree. I have no interest in any sort of zone wars, as I can't
imagine them being effective unless there were a PvP element to them,
and PvP doesn't appeal to me in the least. However, I do very much like
the idea of the landscape changing, even if just old world content.
True, they often over-simplified it, but it does keep the environment
from getting stale. If people choose to restrict themselves to PoK, the
moon and beyond, that's their choice, but there are still plenty of us
in it for the atmosphere as well.

Oh, and I'm with you on the journal. I never read it either. I'm paying
them money every month to show it to me, not make me read about it. :p

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:18:18 -0500, D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net>
wrote:

>I have noticed one troll toon, roleplaying it, but after being
>ignored... they stopped.

Sadly, for an online roleplaying game, actually striving to roleplay
in EQ1 serves zero practical purpose. Sony just aren't interested in
that aspect of the game.

Palindrome

>D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net>
>>I have noticed one troll toon, roleplaying it, but after being
>>ignored... they stopped.

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>Sadly, for an online roleplaying game, actually striving to roleplay
>in EQ1 serves zero practical purpose.

I get in groups occasionally where people are willing to roleplay a bit. The
fact is, for most players, it's more a computer game than a roleplaying game.
Of course RP serves "zero pratical purpose". It's fun, though :)

>Sony just aren't interested in that aspect of the game.

I think you mean "most of Sony's customers" just aren't interested. Sony
doesn't do anything to discourage playing the character as much in role as
you like.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in

> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
>>
>> "* The first group or person to attack a creature will receive any
>> reward it grants upon death, including loot and experience.
>> * Other players can assist in your fight by damaging your enemies or
>> healing you.
>> * You will receive a reduced XP reward if your group contributes less
>> than 50% of the damage needed to kill something."
>> <snip grouping points>
>> * In an upcoming update: If a group prefers to play by the old rules,
>> they may make their targetted encounter exclusively locked (thus
>> preventing help unless asked for)."
>>
>> IIRC, SoE touted the locked encounter system of EQ2 way back when.
>> But drastic times call for drastic measures, and the talking heads
>> can see the numbers of both games so they know more than we do (or
>> mmorpgchart.com does) about they way the EQ2 numbers are in
>> comparison to the numbers for EverQuest. It's been almost a year
>> now, and I'd be willing to wager that the suits counted on there
>> being more people playing EQ2 than EQ by now. That's pretty obviously
>> not the case.
>>
>> Looks to me as if they've begun the gradual process of making the two
>> games as similar as possible.
>>
>> At least they're having the decency to make the new changes optional
>> so that the folks who prefer the locked encounters can run their
>> groups accordingly. Otherwise the people who have dedicated
>> themselves to the SOE "Vision" would be bent over.
>>
>> Next I would expect they'll introduce a new pulling system that will
>> allow you to split gouped mobs ... again reversing a much advertised
>> design direction to make EQ2 more like EverQuest.
>>
>> As for me ... I'll keep on using Harmony of Nature to split the
>> entrance mobs in Vxed and continue tossing heals on someone who looks
>> to be in a tight spot. That's the reason I came back to EQ, and I
>> don't have any real desire to re-start EQ2 again ... no mateter how
>> EQ-esque they make it.
>>

> I was talking to a friend who plays EQ2 almost exclusively, and she
> told me that major changes were upcoming for EQ2, I did not realize
> they were that major. I knew that spells and abilities were being
> redone significantly. Anyway, I am with you on this. EQ still holds
> a lot more interest for me than EQ2, I gave it a pretty fair shot, and
> found it lacking for me, largely due to the feeling of being coddled
> along and protected from the evil other players who might interfere
> with what I am doing.

I agree, though I felt it's biggest downside was the fact that it seemed
they were just unable to mask the fact that combat had been over-
simplified so as to allow them complete control over all encounters from
a balancing standpoint. Add to that the fact that there were really only
4 classes in the game (spare me the "all priests heal but they do it in
totally different ways" speech, people - that approach just didn't cut
it).

Oh yeah, and why does Antonia Bayle have to look like such a slut? Seems
to me they were shooting for the same demographic WoW hooked so well.
They just didn't put an honest effort into it.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On 26 Aug 2005 14:31:59 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in
>

>> Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>] had gone for good and whined about it ad nauseum - I've not heard a
>>] single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being kicked out, or
>>] a single Troll gloat over having the old swamp back :D
>>
>> I have noticed one troll toon, roleplaying it, but after being
>> ignored... they stopped.
>>

>I remember all the hue and cry when the Frogloks took over the Troll city
>though. Mind you, most of it was stupid hissy fit posts on boards, but, at
>least a ruckus was raised.

Aye, I remember that, and thought it might be the start of something
interesting - I was thinking "well, they might actually start
character race MEAN something now! They could have stuck the Frogloks
anywhere at all, but they must have a plan in mind, kicking the Trolls
out for no real reason..." I might have known nothing would come of
it whatsoever.

Palindrome

> D.J. <jolly73@boingcableone.net> wrote in
>

>> Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>] had gone for good and whined about it ad nauseum - I've not heard a
>>] single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being kicked out,
>>] or a single Troll gloat over having the old swamp back :D
>>
>> I have noticed one troll toon, roleplaying it, but after being
>> ignored... they stopped.
>>

> I remember all the hue and cry when the Frogloks took over the Troll
> city though. Mind you, most of it was stupid hissy fit posts on
> boards, but, at least a ruckus was raised.

IMO, the Froglok is merely a novelty race. I think little was heard about
the Trolls re-taking the city because no one cares. Not because of some
sort of general apathy, but because even many of those who play Frogs don't
really take the race seriously. I never much cared for Frogloks as a
playable race, myself. /shrug

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On 26 Aug 2005 14:20:38 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>EQ still holds a lot more interest for me than EQ2, I gave it a pretty
>fair shot, and found it lacking for me, largely due to the feeling of being
>coddled along and protected from the evil other players who might
>interfere with what I am doing.

That put me off completely too. They may as well have gone the whole
hog and made a playable race called the 'Carebears' :)

Palindrome

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in

> <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I've not heard a single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over
>> being kicked out
>
> Well sure, cause it's downright idiotic to roleplay in a channel named
> "out of character". =P

....and of course shouting is oddly enough out of the question.

(couldn't help myself)

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

In article <Xns96BE6EDB9EDC5Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>,
Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>I never much cared for Frogloks as a playable race, myself. /shrug

I've heard that if you group with them you get warts.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:38:25 -0500, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:

><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I've not heard a single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being
>> kicked out
>
>Well sure, cause it's downright idiotic to roleplay in a channel named "out
>of character". =P

Heh, true - it's odd how so many people use /ooc instead of /shout,
though :)

Palindrome

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <akiug1l8q1lsgkl4bg9nh57fkfqfvu4r8c@4ax.com>, damon-
nomad@tiscali.co.uk says...
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:38:25 -0500, Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
>
> ><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've not heard a single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being
> >> kicked out
> >
> >Well sure, cause it's downright idiotic to roleplay in a channel named "out
> >of character". =P
>
> Heh, true - it's odd how so many people use /ooc instead of /shout,
> though :)

Not really. At least not to me.

] wrote:
]
] >I have noticed one troll toon, roleplaying it, but after being
] >ignored... they stopped.
]
] Sadly, for an online roleplaying game, actually striving to roleplay
] in EQ1 serves zero practical purpose. Sony just aren't interested in
] that aspect of the game.

I've noticed that some RPers online go for the fake Elizabethian
accent... and some actually know what role-playing their toons
means.

JimP.
--

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in

> Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:22:24 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>From the EQ2 Producer's Notes:
>>>SNIP<
>>
>> If the boardroom suits had invested more money in EQ1 to freshen up
>> EXISTING content, from the newbie zones on up, instead of desperately
>> bringing out expansions of questionable worth, they wouldn't have
>> wasted their money, time and effort on EQ2. How they could make a
>> cock-up of EQ2 when they had YEARS of experience in game design just
>> makes me boggle.
>
> /agree. It's the goal of every business to milk as much money out of
> their customers as possible. It's the successful ones that manage to do
> it without making their customers feel like they're getting milked. SoE
> lost their ability and/or desire to do this years ago.
>
>> The efforts they HAVE made to freshen EQ1's existing content have been
>> risible - for instance, no-one really cares Firiona Vie changed hands
>> or that the Trolls supposedly took their old home city back - big
>> yawns all 'round. Now, if PLAYERS had the capacity to influence which
>> race owned which zone, by taking part in some sort of "Zone Wars"
>> events, that would make things a bit more exciting.
>>
>> As it is, there's a bit of waffle to be heard in certain zones,
>> supposedly from gods or demigods squaring up to each other, a few new
>> NPC's about for a couple of days, then the "Big Change". Boring in
>> the extreme. In connection with that, does anyone bother reading the
>> Journal? I pity whoever has to waste their time writing it up,
>> because no-one I know (including myself) gives a toss.
>>
>> Mind you, with PoK now the "Universal Metropolis" who really needs
>> home cities? For example, the only gripes aired when the froggies
>> were moved to Rathe Mountains was that people thought the Hill Giants
>> had gone for good and whined about it ad nauseum - I've not heard a
>> single Froglok in /ooc say they are annoyed over being kicked out, or
>> a single Troll gloat over having the old swamp back :D
>
> I disagree. I have no interest in any sort of zone wars, as I can't
> imagine them being effective unless there were a PvP element to them,
> and PvP doesn't appeal to me in the least. However, I do very much like
> the idea of the landscape changing, even if just old world content.
> True, they often over-simplified it, but it does keep the environment
> from getting stale. If people choose to restrict themselves to PoK, the
> moon and beyond, that's their choice, but there are still plenty of us
> in it for the atmosphere as well.
>
> Oh, and I'm with you on the journal. I never read it either. I'm paying
> them money every month to show it to me, not make me read about it. :p

They did actually allow player actions to affect some zones in the game.
Sleepers tomb, whereby awakening the sleeper forever changes that zone
for everyone, and causes the sleeper to go on a killing spree in varuious
zones. Great Divide where failing a 10th ring war causes Thurgadin to
change for a few days. The Luclin zone, the name of which escapes me at
the moment, where you can influence which of 3 competing factions control
3 camps in the zone.

There is no reason they could not make more places like that, and have
the effects of actions be more or less permanent, and affect one or more
zones.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

"Graeme Faelban" wrote:

<snip>

> They did actually allow player actions to affect some zones in the game.
> Sleepers tomb, whereby awakening the sleeper forever changes that zone
> for everyone, and causes the sleeper to go on a killing spree in varuious
> zones. Great Divide where failing a 10th ring war causes Thurgadin to
> change for a few days. The Luclin zone, the name of which escapes me at
> the moment, where you can influence which of 3 competing factions control
> 3 camps in the zone.

That's Hollowshade Moor. Owlbears, Sonic Wolves, and Grimlings, IIRC.

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> They did actually allow player actions to affect some zones in the
>> game. Sleepers tomb, whereby awakening the sleeper forever changes
>> that zone for everyone, and causes the sleeper to go on a killing
>> spree in varuious zones. Great Divide where failing a 10th ring war
>> causes Thurgadin to change for a few days. The Luclin zone, the name
>> of which escapes me at the moment, where you can influence which of 3
>> competing factions control 3 camps in the zone.
>
> That's Hollowshade Moor. Owlbears, Sonic Wolves, and Grimlings, IIRC.

Yep, that's the one.