Very strange effect when printing to Lexmark X75 over home..

Hello People!

I have a very strange problem when trying to print to a network printer
(Lexmark X75). I will give a list of my hardware, and what I am trying
to do

* Desktop PC (Dell Dimension 4600, purchased 2003) connected to D-Link
6-24+ wireless router, which is connected to a DSL modem for internet.
* Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook (purchased 2005)
* Small home network set up via the router which works perfectly for
file transfer.
* Lexmark X75 printer connected via USB to the Desktop PC (purchased
2003)
* Canon photo printer connected via USB to Desktop PC (This is
important for the subsequent discussion)

When I first installed the Lexmark on the network a month ago, it
printed perfectly, however as of a week ago the problems started.

When I print to the Lexmark printer from the desktop PC, there is no
problem it prints fine. When I connect to the lexmark from the notebook
over the small network, there also seems to be no problem connecting,
and in the printers and faxes view it is there, online, and I can even
look into the preferences etc. However, when I try to print over the
network, there is a problem with the pc, as a weird pop up window comes
up in the centre of the screen which consists of white and brown lines
which can only be removed by a pc restart. I have attached a screen
shot to illustrate this. In terms of the printer, it comes out of
standby as if it is about to print and then does nothing. Strangely
though, when I restart the desktop pc the document prints out!!!

I mentioned above that I also have a Canon photo printer connected via
USB to the pc, and when I try to print to this over the network it
works fine, which makes me think that it is not a network problem, but
rather a Lexmark printer problem.

I would really like to hear from other Lexmark owners to see if this
has happened to them, or indeed from any expert that could help with
this problem.

Things that I have done to try and fix things;

* Removal of Lexmark drivers on the pc, and then reinstall from cd that
came with printer (done this a number of times now)... No change
* Download of the drivers and 'clean uninstall' utility from the
lexmark website... No change
* Hit my head against the wall... No change

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dungo

|Filename: LexmarkProblem.jpg |
|Download: http://www.pcbanter.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2618 |

Dungo

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Try turning off the Canon print monitor. It can cause problems with other
printers. Also, some printer drivers assume that the coresponding printer is
the only printer attached to a USB port. Further, which USB port used with
which printer may even have an effect.