Sign in with
Your question

Why wont Fallout 3 work on my PC

Last response: in Video Games
October 15, 2012 5:04:14 AM

So I've been having this problem for a long time and every fix I've tried hasn't worked and I'm getting extremely frustrated. The problem is every time I select new game, the game crashes with the error message "Fallout 3 has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." I have to use task manager to exit the game. Apparently many people have this same issue so it isn't just me. Something to do with windows 7 compatibility? Though I've been told that isn't possible. I'm not a computer expert so if it's a obvious fix, yeah..

Info and crap:

Bought via Steam.

Computer runs Skyrim on normal graphics just fine with only a few hiccups, along with every other game I've played including Fallout: New Vegas.

It is a laptop. Hush, for a laptop it does pretty great. I mean Skyrim on normal graphics is kinda impressive.

Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM): 3-2330M cpu @ 2.20GH

Memory: 6:00GB

Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Gaming Graphics: 1968 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary Hard Disk: 42GB Free (571GB Total)

Manufacturer: Hewlett - Packard

Model - HP Pavilion dm4 Notebook PC

System type: 64-bit operating system

# of processor cores: 2

Need any more info just let me know. Wasn't sure what was and was not helpful other than the obvious.

More about : wont fallout work

October 15, 2012 6:14:32 AM

Shmea said:

Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

There's your problem. I wonder how you even can run Skyrim.

Fallout 3 is made for windows XP, but should run on 7 and 8 out of the box.

Seems like that you have the horsepower you need based on your experience, but most possibly drivers are flunking.
Another problem might be that you don't have Xlive.dll (windows live redistributable)

1)Try different driver
2)Try installing Games for Windows live:
http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=p...

Good luck!
m
l
October 15, 2012 7:02:00 AM

I've gotten that a lot about Skyrim. I do get the occasional lag and black screen but by some miracle nothing worse. Thank you!
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 10:29:23 AM

Why don't you try running the game in compatibility mode first. Try Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I always like to try simple things first before playing with drivers. Since it's an older game, a new driver probably won't make any changes.
m
l
October 15, 2012 2:07:08 PM

"Bought via Steam"

I'm gonna suggest you verify your Steam cache
Open Stean -> Highlight Game ->Right click and select properties -> Local Files Tab -> Verify Integrity of Game cache...
m
l
October 16, 2012 3:38:44 AM

graemevermeulen said:
"Why don't you try running the game in compatibility mode first."...

... "Since it's an older game, a new driver probably won't make any changes."

1)It runs in windows 7 and 8 out of the box, on both architectures(x86 and x64).

2) I Didn't mean him to upgrade drivers, rather to change or downgrade, as Intel wont release new drivers that often like other vendors, such as Nvidia or AMD
m
l
!