add a network printer on a shared XP computer

I have several shared computers that are used by at least 40 different staff
members. In the past, I've logged in as each user to add the printer, but I
know there's got to be an easier way. (I don't even know their passwords
anymore b/c of HIPAA and don't want to change their passwords if I don't have
to.) I've experimented a little with WSH scripts, but can't get the printer
to stay added when I log in as a different user. I certainly don't mind
touching every pc, but would not want to log in as each user. I don't know
how to make a login script apply to just one pc in the active directory,
either, so hopefully the answer doesn't lie in that area. (At the same time,
I don't want to give my users admin rights to the computer or domain.) I am
using Windows Server 2003. Can anyone help me?

Green to scripting but with a lot of responsibilty.........please help.
2 answers Last reply
More about network printer shared computer

    Have a look at Bruce Sanderson's article at:
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Bewildered IT girl" <BewilderedITgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:BD567DF4-F8BF-45C5-B870-07D95E48588A@microsoft.com...
    >I have several shared computers that are used by at least 40 different
    >staff
    > members. In the past, I've logged in as each user to add the printer, but
    > know there's got to be an easier way. (I don't even know their passwords
    > anymore b/c of HIPAA and don't want to change their passwords if I don't
    > have
    > to.) I've experimented a little with WSH scripts, but can't get the
    > printer
    > to stay added when I log in as a different user. I certainly don't mind
    > touching every pc, but would not want to log in as each user. I don't
    > know
    > how to make a login script apply to just one pc in the active directory,
    > either, so hopefully the answer doesn't lie in that area. (At the same
    > time,
    > I don't want to give my users admin rights to the computer or domain.) I
    > am
    > using Windows Server 2003. Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Green to scripting but with a lot of responsibilty.........please help.

    I've managed to add a network printer for all users on an XP using the
    rundll.../ga command, but I can't find the script/command to make that
    printer everyone's default printer. The /y only makes the printer the default
    printer for the currently logged on user. I can't find a /gy command that
    would make the new printer everyone's new default printer. Can anyone help,
    please?

    Strange new territory for me!

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Have a look at Bruce Sanderson's article at:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Bewildered IT girl" <BewilderedITgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:BD567DF4-F8BF-45C5-B870-07D95E48588A@microsoft.com...
    > >I have several shared computers that are used by at least 40 different
    > >staff
    > > members. In the past, I've logged in as each user to add the printer, but
    > > know there's got to be an easier way. (I don't even know their passwords
    > > anymore b/c of HIPAA and don't want to change their passwords if I don't
    > > have
    > > to.) I've experimented a little with WSH scripts, but can't get the
    > > printer
    > > to stay added when I log in as a different user. I certainly don't mind
    > > touching every pc, but would not want to log in as each user. I don't
    > > know
    > > how to make a login script apply to just one pc in the active directory,
    > > either, so hopefully the answer doesn't lie in that area. (At the same
    > > time,
    > > I don't want to give my users admin rights to the computer or domain.) I
    > > am
    > > using Windows Server 2003. Can anyone help me?
    > >
    > > Green to scripting but with a lot of responsibilty.........please help.

Network Printer Windows XP