add a network printer on a shared XP computer

I have several shared computers that are used by at least 40 different staff
members. In the past, I've logged in as each user to add the printer, but I
know there's got to be an easier way. (I don't even know their passwords
anymore b/c of HIPAA and don't want to change their passwords if I don't have
to.) I've experimented a little with WSH scripts, but can't get the printer
to stay added when I log in as a different user. I certainly don't mind
touching every pc, but would not want to log in as each user. I don't know
how to make a login script apply to just one pc in the active directory,
either, so hopefully the answer doesn't lie in that area. (At the same time,
I don't want to give my users admin rights to the computer or domain.) I am
using Windows Server 2003. Can anyone help me?

Green to scripting but with a lot of responsibilty.........please help.

Have a look at Bruce Sanderson's article at:
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Bewildered IT girl" <BewilderedITgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BD567DF4-F8BF-45C5-B870-07D95E48588A@microsoft.com...
>I have several shared computers that are used by at least 40 different
>staff
> members. In the past, I've logged in as each user to add the printer, but
> know there's got to be an easier way. (I don't even know their passwords
> anymore b/c of HIPAA and don't want to change their passwords if I don't
> have
> to.) I've experimented a little with WSH scripts, but can't get the
> printer
> to stay added when I log in as a different user. I certainly don't mind
> touching every pc, but would not want to log in as each user. I don't
> know
> how to make a login script apply to just one pc in the active directory,
> either, so hopefully the answer doesn't lie in that area. (At the same
> time,
> I don't want to give my users admin rights to the computer or domain.) I
> am
> using Windows Server 2003. Can anyone help me?
>
> Green to scripting but with a lot of responsibilty.........please help.

I've managed to add a network printer for all users on an XP using the
rundll.../ga command, but I can't find the script/command to make that
printer everyone's default printer. The /y only makes the printer the default
printer for the currently logged on user. I can't find a /gy command that
would make the new printer everyone's new default printer. Can anyone help,
please?

Strange new territory for me!