Cable / Broadband Faxing

Greetings can anyone help me?
I have a cable connection for my high speed internet connection, and
currently I do not use a phone line for any communications to my computer.
The problem is I want to be able to send and receive faxes with my computer,
however the cable modem is not capable of allowing fax applications. The
computer is equipped with an internal modem capable of faxing. If I connect
the phone line to the computer so I can fax will it interfere with my high
speed cable connection, or cause a conflict with my internet connection?
Thank you all for any help you can offer
5 answers Last reply
More about cable broadband faxing

    The two functions are completely unrelated.
    Using your phone line and your fax modem has no effect on your cable
    connection.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "jdbroda" <jdbroda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings can anyone help me?
    > I have a cable connection for my high speed internet connection, and
    > currently I do not use a phone line for any communications to my computer.
    > The problem is I want to be able to send and receive faxes with my
    > computer,
    > however the cable modem is not capable of allowing fax applications. The
    > computer is equipped with an internal modem capable of faxing. If I
    > connect
    > the phone line to the computer so I can fax will it interfere with my high
    > speed cable connection, or cause a conflict with my internet connection?
    > Thank you all for any help you can offer

    So what would be the proceedure to make a phone line connection for faxing
    with the cable modem still connected for my internet connection?

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > The two functions are completely unrelated.
    > Using your phone line and your fax modem has no effect on your cable
    > connection.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "jdbroda" <jdbroda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Greetings can anyone help me?
    > > I have a cable connection for my high speed internet connection, and
    > > currently I do not use a phone line for any communications to my computer.
    > > The problem is I want to be able to send and receive faxes with my
    > > computer,
    > > however the cable modem is not capable of allowing fax applications. The
    > > computer is equipped with an internal modem capable of faxing. If I
    > > connect
    > > the phone line to the computer so I can fax will it interfere with my high
    > > speed cable connection, or cause a conflict with my internet connection?
    > > Thank you all for any help you can offer

    Plug your phone line into your fax modem.
    What makes you think the Internet connection and fax have anything to do
    with one another?
    --
    > So what would be the proceedure to make a phone line connection for faxing
    > with the cable modem still connected for my internet connection?
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> The two functions are completely unrelated.
    >> Using your phone line and your fax modem has no effect on your cable
    >> connection.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "jdbroda" <jdbroda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Greetings can anyone help me?
    >> > I have a cable connection for my high speed internet connection, and
    >> > currently I do not use a phone line for any communications to my
    >> > computer.
    >> > The problem is I want to be able to send and receive faxes with my
    >> > computer,
    >> > however the cable modem is not capable of allowing fax applications.
    >> > The
    >> > computer is equipped with an internal modem capable of faxing. If I
    >> > connect
    >> > the phone line to the computer so I can fax will it interfere with my
    >> > high
    >> > speed cable connection, or cause a conflict with my internet
    >> > connection?
    >> > Thank you all for any help you can offer

    Unlike most dial-up modems, a broadband modem is not capable
    of connecting to fax machines, so you cannot send or receive faxes
    directly. Fax uses analog signals and broadband is based on digital.

    In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
    with a live telephone line attached. You cannot use broadband unless you
    use a web-base fax service, such as eFax:
    http://www2.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/homePage?rqcp=1

    Or consider purchasing a conventional fax machine and connect it to your
    phone line.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "jdbroda" wrote:

    | Greetings can anyone help me?
    | I have a cable connection for my high speed internet connection, and
    | currently I do not use a phone line for any communications to my computer.
    | The problem is I want to be able to send and receive faxes with my computer,
    | however the cable modem is not capable of allowing fax applications. The
    | computer is equipped with an internal modem capable of faxing. If I connect
    | the phone line to the computer so I can fax will it interfere with my high
    | speed cable connection, or cause a conflict with my internet connection?
    | Thank you all for any help you can offer

    I have been doing both for the last few months. Cable for the internet and
    the fax/modemcard plugged into the phone jack. I use the MightyFax software
    instead of the built- in fax software in XP. Works very well as I can scan
    in and send 10 to 15 pages very easily. I have never had any problems with
    any conflicts between the NIC and fax/modem card.

    "old" devildog
    -- Simper Fi --

    ------------------------

    "jdbroda" <jdbroda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Greetings can anyone help me?
    | I have a cable connection for my high speed internet connection, and
    | currently I do not use a phone line for any communications to my computer.
    | The problem is I want to be able to send and receive faxes with my
    computer,
    | however the cable modem is not capable of allowing fax applications. The
    | computer is equipped with an internal modem capable of faxing. If I
    connect
    | the phone line to the computer so I can fax will it interfere with my high
    | speed cable connection, or cause a conflict with my internet connection?
    | Thank you all for any help you can offer

Connection Computers Cable Fax Internet Connection Windows XP