how much can i overclock with stock 1ghz

ineedhelpbadly

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2002
I have an EPoX 8RDA+, 512 of Samsung Pc2700 memory, and an athlon 1.0 ghz processor. How much could I overclock with processor with stock fan and stuff. Being an old processor

I don't see the value of investing a new fan and stuff... however if the same fan could be used on a newer processor in the future I may consider this.

svol

Champion
Depends on which core stepping you have.

Let say something between 1100-1200MHz. If you're lucky and with a good HSF maybe 1333MHz.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek: .

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have my Athlon 1000 (AYHJAR-Y) at 1333 Mhz and at 1500 Mhz (150 * 10) during gaming. I use a $4 Galaxy heatsink with $10 Y.S Tech TMD fan.

Check the CPU database at <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com" target="_new">www.overclockers.com</A> to see how well various CPUs overclock.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

ineedhelpbadly

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2002
Hmm... is there a good heatsink/fan I can get to overclock it until I get a new processor and use the same HSF on the new processor? Cuz I was thinking about getting like a 2000+-2400+ in 6 months.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Just about any heatsink combined with a powerful fan is good for overclocking an Athlon 1000. However, if you are going to use it on for a Tbred A or Tbred B you should choose something suitable. Generally, you would need a HSF these will have copper insert or are completely made of copper. The manufacturers usually indicate which heatsinks are suitable.

The Thermaltake Volcano 7 (or is it the 7+) are popular. Not too noisy due to the variable speed fan.

I hear the Thermalright SLK800 and AX7 heatsinks are good. They are heavy (and big) but if you are looking for aggressive overclocking they are good choices. They accept 80 mm fans so you can choose a near silent fan for modest cooling or go for one with ear-busting sound but great cooling.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
till it starts to smoke. then lower it to 1.1-1.2ghz with a better cooling solution you could potentialy get to 1.3ghz or higher. you have a nice system but you need a new proc. upgrade!!!

Dungeons and Dragons Famous Last Words:
"C'mon DM,let's see some REAL monsters!" And then you turn the corner as the Dungeon Master chuckles... DM: "It hits and... Oh hold on... I need more dice"

ineedhelpbadly

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2002
im very poor.. so i gotta wait til may for a new processor... or you can give me money.. heh.. but if i just got a 2000+ right now.. how long do you think that would last me? is that processor already too old?

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
no wait till may then get a good proc, a 2000 is getting old besides you dont need it that bad, you could get away with waiting till may i'm sure

Dungeons and Dragons Famous Last Words:
"C'mon DM,let's see some REAL monsters!" And then you turn the corner as the Dungeon Master chuckles... DM: "It hits and... Oh hold on... I need more dice"