get windows fax (xp) to answer only distinctive ring tones

Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home number
and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find any
way to get windows fax to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.

Thanks,
Matthew.

Thank you for prompt answer, but I am pretty new to all this computer stuff
and that information did not make much sense at all, is there a program I can
download that can deal with this, or can you please tell me in plain english
what I need to do. Thanks a lot for your time.

"esophagus" wrote:

> Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home number
> and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
> automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
> When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find any
> way to get windows fax to do this.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew.

DISTINCTIVE RING and Windows XP
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dringxp.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"esophagus" wrote:

| Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home number
| and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
| automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
| When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find any
| way to get windows fax to do this.
|
| Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
|
| Thanks,
| Matthew.

At the last count, there was NO native support in XP for distinctive
ring. I believe that certain combinations of particular modem
hardware, special drivers, and fax software can be persuaded to deal
with it under XP, but the very basic native XP fax software certainly
can't. You can also buy hardware "black boxes" that you plug in to
your phone line, which recognise incoming distinctive ring calls and
redirect them to one of a number of "outgoing"lines. This may be your
best option.

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 18:48:02 -0700, esophagus
<esophagus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home number
>and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
>automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
>When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find any
>way to get windows fax to do this.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
>
>Thanks,
>Matthew.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272943
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"esophagus" <esophagus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home
> number
> and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
> automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
> When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find
> any
> way to get windows fax to do this.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew.

Some third party hardware devices can provide a work-around:

http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
Emerson Switchboard
http://www.command-comm.com/phone_line_products.html
ComSwitch®