get windows fax (xp) to answer only distinctive ring tones

Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home number
and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find any
way to get windows fax to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.

Thanks,
Matthew.
5 answers Last reply
More about windows answer distinctive ring tones

    Thank you for prompt answer, but I am pretty new to all this computer stuff
    and that information did not make much sense at all, is there a program I can
    download that can deal with this, or can you please tell me in plain english
    what I need to do. Thanks a lot for your time.

    "esophagus" wrote:

    > Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home number
    > and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
    > automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
    > When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find any
    > way to get windows fax to do this.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matthew.

    DISTINCTIVE RING and Windows XP
    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/dringxp.asp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "esophagus" wrote:

    | Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home number
    | and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
    | automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
    | When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find any
    | way to get windows fax to do this.
    |
    | Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Matthew.

    At the last count, there was NO native support in XP for distinctive
    ring. I believe that certain combinations of particular modem
    hardware, special drivers, and fax software can be persuaded to deal
    with it under XP, but the very basic native XP fax software certainly
    can't. You can also buy hardware "black boxes" that you plug in to
    your phone line, which recognise incoming distinctive ring calls and
    redirect them to one of a number of "outgoing"lines. This may be your
    best option.

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 18:48:02 -0700, esophagus
    <esophagus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home number
    >and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
    >automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
    >When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find any
    >way to get windows fax to do this.
    >
    >Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Matthew.

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272943
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "esophagus" <esophagus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home
    > number
    > and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
    > automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice calls.
    > When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find
    > any
    > way to get windows fax to do this.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matthew.

    Some third party hardware devices can provide a work-around:

    http://www.youcansave.com/switchboard.html
    Emerson Switchboard
    http://www.command-comm.com/phone_line_products.html
    ComSwitch®

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    > Thank you for prompt answer, but I am pretty new to all this computer
    stuff
    > and that information did not make much sense at all, is there a program I
    can
    > download that can deal with this, or can you please tell me in plain
    english
    > what I need to do. Thanks a lot for your time.
    >
    > "esophagus" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I am new to using windows fax and I have a shared phone line (home
    number
    > > and fax number on the one line) and I want to set up windows fax to
    > > automatically answer all incoming faxes but not any personal voice
    calls.
    > > When the fax line rings it rings 3 times instead of 2, but I cannot find
    any
    > > way to get windows fax to do this.
    > >
    > > Any help would be much appreciated as I need this set up ASAP for work.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Matthew.

Fax Microsoft Windows XP