A7N8X and AGOIA

Manoo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
Did I do this right? It seems to work, but does it make sense?

I have a Athlon XP 1600+ on a A7n8x and one stick of Crucial Memory at 2100 speed. I went into the bios and
put the External Clock (thats the fsb, right?) to 147 and
restartet and boom, i got a 1544Mhz proc. I set the memory access to aggressive and did no other changes. It starts up smoothly and gets to 44C at most.

My question is now: How much more can I do and isn't the memory speed a problem here? What can I damage if doing so and why? Is unlocking the chip going to bring me any advantage, considering that I don't want to buy another case fan (btw. my case and powerfan never turned on yet, is that normal?).

Thanks for shining some light on the
dark roads of overclocking.
Manoo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your memory is probably near it's max, your CPU is an unknown factor. If you want to reach higher speeds I suggest faster memory first.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Manoo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
What will happen, if I exaggerate (or however thats spelled)?

In one of my first tries, I did something that forced
me to reset the bios on the mobo and I don't want to do
that again (if avoidable).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
One step at a time, it will crash in Windows at a lower speed than that which it would refuse to boot at hopefully.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Champion_Tufshop

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
this is almost impossible to avoid if you wish to push the cpu/ram to its limits (resetting the CMOS is what you did with the motherboard)

first thing i would set the ram timings to normal or relaxed instead of aggressive before overclocking.

also test using prime95 torture test
it may seem stable in windows, however prime95 will tell you if the cpu is making mathematical errors or not.