regular EQ What do you say?

From your own experience is EQ classic still a populated, well
supported game?
41 answers Last reply
More about regular

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:43:31 GMT, mike allegretto
    <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote:

    >From your own experience is EQ classic still a populated, well
    >supported game?

    I still play every Thursday night and whenever I can in between. I
    still enjoy it and have new things to see and do and loot. I have
    people to play with almost every time I log on, both planned and
    unplanned.

    I've tried EQII but honestly I just don't have enough time for more
    than one game like this and EQ is still providing loads of fun.

    So yes.

    ~F

    <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote:

    >From your own experience is EQ classic still a populated, well
    >supported game?

    The last remaining european server is very busy now,dont know
    what you mean with "well supported",if you expect a bug free stable
    game stay away,its not unusal that it crashes 5 times a day,even
    when you are just standing in the "Bazaar",doing nothing.
    SOE is more busy to throw out another expansion which nonone has
    asked for instead of fixing year old bugs.

    Meldur

    Still seems pretty populated on my server.

    Submitted by: Isloor
    This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum

    Meldur wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:10:12 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <q3ssg198jr3gjg03u0hcogmjdhi6hba6ge@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    > >online.de says...

    > >> The last remaining european server is very busy now,dont know
    > >> what you mean with "well supported",if you expect a bug free stable
    > >> game stay away,its not unusal that it crashes 5 times a day,even
    > >> when you are just standing in the "Bazaar",doing nothing.
    > >> SOE is more busy to throw out another expansion which nonone has
    > >> asked for instead of fixing year old bugs.
    > >
    > >Take that with a grain of salt.
    > >
    > >I haven't had EQ "just crash on me" in several years.
    > >
    > >I've had issues where it would crash when i was using an out of date UI.
    > >
    > >I've had had issues where it would crash when alt-tabbing between full
    > >screen and windowed mode (occasionally).
    > >
    > >But neither were serious problems.
    > >
    > >I've had issues of getting stuck in geometry, falling for 20000 damage,
    > >and so forth. None of those are crashes though, and all of them can be
    > >worked around.
    > >
    > >No game in continuous development is going to ever be perfect.
    >
    > It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,

    I've played since early 2002 and in my experience it is no more
    unstable now than it was then. The more important problems do get
    addressed, others not so much. For the map background, that has never
    bothered me all that much. All of my windows have a zero-delay on fade
    to transparency. Usually if I can't see the map because the lines are
    white, I can just let the map fade to transparency and then look at
    something dark in the background. I would agree that they should have
    just made the lines all dark colors, or the background more
    easily-altered, but for problems with simple workarounds they often
    just let them persist.

    > for example when
    > switching chars,I am almost every time thrown back to the server
    > select screen,watching for 5 minutes or so the dreaded "you already
    > have a character logged in" box.

    I almost never crash, maybe once every few weeks? When I go LD its my
    ISPs fault half the time.

    > An issue I never had before a year or 2 ago.
    > Probably a symptom of adding too much expansions without proper
    > quality control,game was much more stable when we got an expansion
    > once a year,but hey why not try to squeeze the last cents out of
    > existing customers,because they have no intentions to win new.
    >
    > And before you come and say its my pc,Morrowind

    ....always crashed on me if I played for more than a few hours. Also
    had lots of bugs. Shift/CTRL/ALT keys would become "stuck" so that
    pushing mouse buttons had oddball results until I figured out what was
    happening. I became stuck in the geometry ALL THE TIME. Thank god if
    you could cast a port spell or had saved recently. I had a robe that I
    would put on to levitate and take off to walk. Levitate occaisionally
    became stuck on me as a permanent effect, which was very annoying
    because by the time I noticed it I had not saved for a while. The
    automapping feature would fail and I would travel quite some distance
    only to notice that I was surrounded by "darkness" on the map. There
    was some bug that pretty much ruined the game for me at one point.
    Something about being named Horator before finishing the Ashkhan
    quests. I was no longer able to become Ashkhan but Vivec wanted
    nothing to do with me and the mistake I had made was looooooong since
    saved over. Going back meant pretty much restarting the game.
    Finally, I tried to patch the game. The game became corrupted. I
    tried to uninstall and the uninstall failed. I tried to reinstall, it
    still would not load. I had to go use "Registry Magic" or some such
    program before I could install the game again.

    I stil thought it was a pretty cool game too.

    Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:43:31 GMT, mike allegretto
    > <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>From your own experience is EQ classic still a populated, well
    >>supported game?
    >
    > The last remaining european server is very busy now,dont know
    > what you mean with "well supported",if you expect a bug free stable
    > game stay away,its not unusal that it crashes 5 times a day,even
    > when you are just standing in the "Bazaar",doing nothing.
    > SOE is more busy to throw out another expansion which nonone has
    > asked for instead of fixing year old bugs.

    As far as that goes, I rarely have EQ crash on me. As a matter of fact, I
    don't remember the last time it crashed on me for any reason other than
    WinEQ or custom UI issues.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> writes:
    > As far as that goes, I rarely have EQ crash on me. As a matter of fact, I
    > don't remember the last time it crashed on me for any reason other than
    > WinEQ or custom UI issues.

    I've only been playing for about two years. A year ago, I'd find that
    I often went LD just standing around, especially with my Bazaar mule.
    Nowadays, LD is very rare, EXCEPT if I've been running for several DAYS
    without restarting the client, and/or if I've been doing LOTS of zoning
    (which can include switching characters) or I've been alt-tabbing back
    and forth between windowed/fullscreen.

    Usually what I do is /camp desktop when I'm switching from the bazaar
    to another character, and then I'm fine, ending up back in the bazaar
    at the end of the session.

    -- Don.

    -- Sukrasisx, Monk 57 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    -- Terrwini, Druid 52 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    -- Teviron, Knight 22 on E. Marr

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:10:12 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >In article <q3ssg198jr3gjg03u0hcogmjdhi6hba6ge@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    >online.de says...
    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:43:31 GMT, mike allegretto
    >> <rallegre@stny.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >From your own experience is EQ classic still a populated, well
    >> >supported game?
    >>
    >> The last remaining european server is very busy now,dont know
    >> what you mean with "well supported",if you expect a bug free stable
    >> game stay away,its not unusal that it crashes 5 times a day,even
    >> when you are just standing in the "Bazaar",doing nothing.
    >> SOE is more busy to throw out another expansion which nonone has
    >> asked for instead of fixing year old bugs.
    >
    >Take that with a grain of salt.
    >
    >I haven't had EQ "just crash on me" in several years.
    >
    >I've had issues where it would crash when i was using an out of date UI.
    >
    >I've had had issues where it would crash when alt-tabbing between full
    >screen and windowed mode (occasionally).
    >
    >But neither were serious problems.
    >
    >I've had issues of getting stuck in geometry, falling for 20000 damage,
    >and so forth. None of those are crashes though, and all of them can be
    >worked around.
    >
    >No game in continuous development is going to ever be perfect.

    It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,for example when
    switching chars,I am almost every time thrown back to the server
    select screen,watching for 5 minutes or so the dreaded "you already
    have a character logged in" box.
    An issue I never had before a year or 2 ago.
    Probably a symptom of adding too much expansions without proper
    quality control,game was much more stable when we got an expansion
    once a year,but hey why not try to squeeze the last cents out of
    existing customers,because they have no intentions to win new.

    And before you come and say its my pc,Morrowind,NWN annd assorted
    other games which are as hardware demanding as EQ or more,almost
    never crash,even when playing for extended times.

    And as another poster mentioned,what about the map background,thats
    most annoying,this cant be hard to fix,clearly a sign they dont care
    for quality.

    Meldur

    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:10:12 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <q3ssg198jr3gjg03u0hcogmjdhi6hba6ge@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    >>online.de says...

    >>> The last remaining european server is very busy now,dont know
    >>> what you mean with "well supported",if you expect a bug free stable
    >>> game stay away,its not unusal that it crashes 5 times a day,even
    >>> when you are just standing in the "Bazaar",doing nothing.
    >>> SOE is more busy to throw out another expansion which nonone has
    >>> asked for instead of fixing year old bugs.
    >>
    >>Take that with a grain of salt.
    >>
    >>I haven't had EQ "just crash on me" in several years.
    >>
    >>I've had issues where it would crash when i was using an out of date
    >>UI.
    >>
    >>I've had had issues where it would crash when alt-tabbing between full
    >>screen and windowed mode (occasionally).
    >>
    >>But neither were serious problems.
    >>
    >>I've had issues of getting stuck in geometry, falling for 20000
    >>damage, and so forth. None of those are crashes though, and all of
    >>them can be worked around.
    >>
    >>No game in continuous development is going to ever be perfect.
    >
    > It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,for example when
    > switching chars,I am almost every time thrown back to the server
    > select screen,watching for 5 minutes or so the dreaded "you already
    > have a character logged in" box.
    > An issue I never had before a year or 2 ago.
    > Probably a symptom of adding too much expansions without proper
    > quality control,game was much more stable when we got an expansion
    > once a year,but hey why not try to squeeze the last cents out of
    > existing customers,because they have no intentions to win new.

    Network gaming is always more troublesome than single-player gaming
    confined to one PC. NWN, for example, still has, to my knowledge,
    trouble picking up some servers to display on the server select screen.
    That is the same sort of problem. Connectivity and latency issues affect
    all games, not just EQ.

    > And as another poster mentioned,what about the map background,thats
    > most annoying,this cant be hard to fix,clearly a sign they dont care
    > for quality.

    What exactly is the problem with the map background color? I'm not aware
    of any issue there, as it looks ok to me.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    In article <g8oug1dkfd1788i340ds688rtmp74vqsah@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    online.de says...
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:10:12 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <q3ssg198jr3gjg03u0hcogmjdhi6hba6ge@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    > >online.de says...

    > >> The last remaining european server is very busy now,dont know
    > >> what you mean with "well supported",if you expect a bug free stable
    > >> game stay away,its not unusal that it crashes 5 times a day,even
    > >> when you are just standing in the "Bazaar",doing nothing.
    > >> SOE is more busy to throw out another expansion which nonone has
    > >> asked for instead of fixing year old bugs.
    > >
    > >Take that with a grain of salt.
    > >
    > >I haven't had EQ "just crash on me" in several years.
    > >
    > >I've had issues where it would crash when i was using an out of date UI.
    > >
    > >I've had had issues where it would crash when alt-tabbing between full
    > >screen and windowed mode (occasionally).
    > >
    > >But neither were serious problems.
    > >
    > >I've had issues of getting stuck in geometry, falling for 20000 damage,
    > >and so forth. None of those are crashes though, and all of them can be
    > >worked around.
    > >
    > >No game in continuous development is going to ever be perfect.
    >
    > It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,

    -insert- FOR YOU.

    > for example when
    > switching chars,I am almost every time thrown back to the server
    > select screen,watching for 5 minutes or so the dreaded "you already
    > have a character logged in" box.

    That happens to me maybe 1 time in 100. Would I like to see it fixed...
    you betcha. Is it ruining my life and making me want to play something
    else? Nope.

    > An issue I never had before a year or 2 ago.

    A year or 2 ago, people with particular nvidia cards were having all
    sorts of stupid problem, before that it was particular brand new radeons
    that couldn't run at more than 10fps.

    You have a minor annoyance logging out where it won't let you
    immediately log back in. I'm not surprised its a low priority fix.

    > Probably a symptom of adding too much expansions without proper
    > quality control,game was much more stable when we got an expansion
    > once a year,but hey why not try to squeeze the last cents out of
    > existing customers,because they have no intentions to win new.

    Nice scapegoat.

    If the expansions were free the bugs would still be there. As long as
    the playerbase wants new content, new content and features will be
    added... this will invariably break stuff that worked before.

    Sure, they could have left the graphics the same as they were in 1999
    and the engine would probably have acheived excellent stability by now.
    Of course, we wouldn't have the new spell effects, the new models, the
    new complex zones, etc etc etc...

    They traded stability for features. Stable enough and lots of new stuff
    wins over rock solid and nothing gets added that might disrupt it.

    Its a GAME not an ATM machine.

    > And before you come and say its my pc,Morrowind,NWN annd assorted
    > other games which are as hardware demanding as EQ or more,almost
    > never crash,even when playing for extended times.

    Anecdotal evidence. *My* PC doesn't crash on any of those games OR EQ,
    nor other much more modern games either.

    I don't know what the conflict is between your PC and and EQ is. I'm not
    saying your PC is at fault, it could be a problem with EQ not supporting
    some oddball driver or hardware you are running... but its probably
    something that you could resolve. Because MOST people don't crash 5
    times a day.

    > And as another poster mentioned,what about the map background,thats
    > most annoying,this cant be hard to fix,clearly a sign they dont care
    > for quality.

    Another minor annoyance. My maps look fine. Its pretty trivial to update
    the maps to work with the default background.

    <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:

    > >No game in continuous development is going to ever be perfect.
    >
    > It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,

    I think you'll find that the vast majority of people will disagree with you
    on this. Particularly the ones that actually remember Luclin's release.

    > for example when
    > switching chars,I am almost every time thrown back to the server
    > select screen,watching for 5 minutes or so the dreaded "you already
    > have a character logged in" box.
    > An issue I never had before a year or 2 ago.

    I've seen a fix posted for this. It's a problem on your end. I wish I
    could point you to the fix, but it never was a problem for me so I didn't
    bother remembering what the fix was. I *think* it was something to do with
    read-only files and/or a cluttered eqclient.ini.

    > Probably a symptom of adding too much expansions without proper
    > quality control,game was much more stable when we got an expansion
    > once a year,but hey why not try to squeeze the last cents out of
    > existing customers,because they have no intentions to win new.

    They have not varied their rate of releasing expansions since the very first
    one came out more than 5 years ago. Every six months, regular as clockwork.
    They have delayed a couple by up to a month or so, but never abandoned the
    two-expansions-per-year business plan.

    > And before you come and say its my pc,Morrowind,NWN annd assorted
    > other games which are as hardware demanding as EQ or more,almost
    > never crash,even when playing for extended times.

    You should use games which are as hardware demanding as examples then. =)
    I find EQ to crash about as often as Battlefield 2, WoW, Guild Wars, etc.
    Ok, Battlefield 2 a bit more often, but it's only had once patch so far. =P

    > And as another poster mentioned,what about the map background,thats
    > most annoying,this cant be hard to fix,clearly a sign they dont care
    > for quality.

    What's wrong with the map background? Perhaps a more appropriate question,
    is, you do realize it's just a text file that you can edit yourself, right?
    I couldn't tell you what the default map screen is supposed to look like...

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:18:43 GMT, Rumbledor
    <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

    >Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:10:12 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <q3ssg198jr3gjg03u0hcogmjdhi6hba6ge@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    >>>online.de says...

    >>>Take that with a grain of salt.
    >>>
    >>>I haven't had EQ "just crash on me" in several years.
    >>>
    >>>I've had issues where it would crash when i was using an out of date
    >>>UI.
    >>>
    >>>I've had had issues where it would crash when alt-tabbing between full
    >>>screen and windowed mode (occasionally).
    >>>
    >>>But neither were serious problems.
    >>>
    >>>I've had issues of getting stuck in geometry, falling for 20000
    >>>damage, and so forth. None of those are crashes though, and all of
    >>>them can be worked around.
    >>>
    >>>No game in continuous development is going to ever be perfect.
    >>
    >> It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,for example when
    >> switching chars,I am almost every time thrown back to the server
    >> select screen,watching for 5 minutes or so the dreaded "you already
    >> have a character logged in" box.
    >> An issue I never had before a year or 2 ago.
    >> Probably a symptom of adding too much expansions without proper
    >> quality control,game was much more stable when we got an expansion
    >> once a year,but hey why not try to squeeze the last cents out of
    >> existing customers,because they have no intentions to win new.
    >
    >Network gaming is always more troublesome than single-player gaming
    >confined to one PC. NWN, for example, still has, to my knowledge,
    >trouble picking up some servers to display on the server select screen.
    >That is the same sort of problem. Connectivity and latency issues affect
    >all games, not just EQ.
    >
    >> And as another poster mentioned,what about the map background,thats
    >> most annoying,this cant be hard to fix,clearly a sign they dont care
    >> for quality.
    >>

    >What exactly is the problem with the map background color? I'm not aware
    >of any issue there, as it looks ok to me.

    When maps went in,you could actually change the background color,
    of the map,now the same function changes the background color of the
    border of the map window.

    Meldur

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:52:27 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >In article <g8oug1dkfd1788i340ds688rtmp74vqsah@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    >online.de says...
    >> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:10:12 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <q3ssg198jr3gjg03u0hcogmjdhi6hba6ge@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    >> >online.de says...

    >> >Take that with a grain of salt.
    >> >
    >> >I haven't had EQ "just crash on me" in several years.
    >> >
    >> >I've had issues where it would crash when i was using an out of date UI.
    >> >
    >> >I've had had issues where it would crash when alt-tabbing between full
    >> >screen and windowed mode (occasionally).
    >> >
    >> >But neither were serious problems.
    >> >
    >> >I've had issues of getting stuck in geometry, falling for 20000 damage,
    >> >and so forth. None of those are crashes though, and all of them can be
    >> >worked around.
    >> >
    >> >No game in continuous development is going to ever be perfect.
    >>
    >> It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,
    >
    >-insert- FOR YOU.

    I have the exactly same mashine for 3 years now.

    >> for example when
    >> switching chars,I am almost every time thrown back to the server
    >> select screen,watching for 5 minutes or so the dreaded "you already
    >> have a character logged in" box.
    >
    >That happens to me maybe 1 time in 100. Would I like to see it fixed...
    >you betcha. Is it ruining my life and making me want to play something
    >else? Nope.

    I quote myself:
    "I am almost every time thrown back to the server select screen"
    Sometimes,it makes me quit playing EQ.

    >> Probably a symptom of adding too much expansions without proper
    >> quality control,game was much more stable when we got an expansion
    >> once a year,but hey why not try to squeeze the last cents out of
    >> existing customers,because they have no intentions to win new.
    >
    >Nice scapegoat.
    >
    >If the expansions were free the bugs would still be there. As long as
    >the playerbase wants new content, new content and features will be
    >added... this will invariably break stuff that worked before.

    How many postings did you see prior to OoW release,where people
    were requesting to raise the level cap?

    >Sure, they could have left the graphics the same as they were in 1999
    >and the engine would probably have acheived excellent stability by now.
    >Of course, we wouldn't have the new spell effects, the new models, the
    >new complex zones, etc etc etc...

    Most players I know,have a horrible time in OoW zones,if they dont
    turn the clip plane way down,so what it is this graphic update good
    for?

    >They traded stability for features. Stable enough and lots of new stuff
    >wins over rock solid and nothing gets added that might disrupt it.
    >Its a GAME not an ATM machine.

    Hm,I prefere stability by far,at least I would expect that it stays
    the same when adding new stuff.

    >> And as another poster mentioned,what about the map background,thats
    >> most annoying,this cant be hard to fix,clearly a sign they dont care
    >> for quality.
    >
    >Another minor annoyance. My maps look fine. Its pretty trivial to update
    >the maps to work with the default background.

    The maps were working fine when released,its an impertinence by SOE
    that they dont fix it.Why should the player use annoying workarounds
    which make the game less enjoyable?Really this cant be hard to fix.

    Meldur

    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:18:43 GMT, Rumbledor
    > <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

    >>> And as another poster mentioned,what about the map background,thats
    >>> most annoying,this cant be hard to fix,clearly a sign they dont care
    >>> for quality.
    >>>

    >>What exactly is the problem with the map background color? I'm not
    >>aware of any issue there, as it looks ok to me.
    >
    > When maps went in,you could actually change the background color,
    > of the map,now the same function changes the background color of the
    > border of the map window.

    I still don't see much need to change it other than personal preference, so
    how can that be considered a significant issue? Am I missing something
    here? Is it causing other problems of which I'm unaware? I understand that
    white doesn't show up very well on it, but I can still see it well enough.
    /shrug

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Beal" <bealrabbitslayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Meldur wrote:
    >> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:10:12 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <q3ssg198jr3gjg03u0hcogmjdhi6hba6ge@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    >> >online.de says...

    >> >Take that with a grain of salt.
    >> >
    >> >I haven't had EQ "just crash on me" in several years.
    >> >
    >> >I've had issues where it would crash when i was using an out of date UI.
    >> >
    >> >I've had had issues where it would crash when alt-tabbing between full
    >> >screen and windowed mode (occasionally).
    >> >
    >> >But neither were serious problems.
    >> >
    >> >I've had issues of getting stuck in geometry, falling for 20000 damage,
    >> >and so forth. None of those are crashes though, and all of them can be
    >> >worked around.
    >> >
    >> >No game in continuous development is going to ever be perfect.
    >>
    >> It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,
    >
    > I've played since early 2002 and in my experience it is no more
    > unstable now than it was then. The more important problems do get
    > addressed, others not so much. For the map background, that has never
    > bothered me all that much. All of my windows have a zero-delay on fade
    > to transparency. Usually if I can't see the map because the lines are
    > white, I can just let the map fade to transparency and then look at
    > something dark in the background. I would agree that they should have
    > just made the lines all dark colors, or the background more
    > easily-altered, but for problems with simple workarounds they often
    > just let them persist.

    Which maps are you talking about? PoK and all the newbie zone maps do use
    black lines. Higher level zones do not have maps provided from Sony. If a
    player is downloading maps from a 3rd party (like maps.eq-toolbox) then the
    issue is really with the maps others are making and not those made by Sony.
    The mapping system in game would suggest that each person make their own
    maps as they explore zones; in which case a person could use whatever colors
    he or she desired.
    --
    Sinaiel Soulmerchant
    Wraith of Misericordia

    In article <f0f0h1dv5adtv742l37hkg2mrghojel929@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    online.de says...
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:52:27 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <g8oug1dkfd1788i340ds688rtmp74vqsah@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    > >online.de says...

    > >> It has become more unstable in the last 2 years,
    > >
    > >-insert- FOR YOU.
    >
    > I have the exactly same mashine for 3 years now.

    That would be part of the problem. My Pentium 2 with 3dfx voodoo 3
    doesn't even run EQ anymore. Personally I'm glad the game isn't still
    being targeted at that platform.

    SOE is doing its best to keep the game current. That's going to leave
    older systems in the lurch. Its not exactly fair but that's life. The
    hardware specs in long term multiplayer games is a rolling target.

    > >> for example when
    > >> switching chars,I am almost every time thrown back to the server
    > >> select screen,watching for 5 minutes or so the dreaded "you already
    > >> have a character logged in" box.
    > >
    > >That happens to me maybe 1 time in 100. Would I like to see it fixed...
    > >you betcha. Is it ruining my life and making me want to play something
    > >else? Nope.
    >
    > I quote myself:
    > "I am almost every time thrown back to the server select screen"
    > Sometimes,it makes me quit playing EQ.

    by quit you mean take a break. How many times have you cancelled?

    > >> Probably a symptom of adding too much expansions without proper
    > >> quality control,game was much more stable when we got an expansion
    > >> once a year,but hey why not try to squeeze the last cents out of
    > >> existing customers,because they have no intentions to win new.
    > >
    > >Nice scapegoat.
    > >
    > >If the expansions were free the bugs would still be there. As long as
    > >the playerbase wants new content, new content and features will be
    > >added... this will invariably break stuff that worked before.
    >
    > How many postings did you see prior to OoW release,where people
    > were requesting to raise the level cap?

    So now new content should be what decided by whoever posts the most on
    the forums? Great, I can see it now the next expansion will bring the
    hillgiants back in full force, double the amount of cash they drop, come
    with a signed contract fro SOE that every giant will drop at least 20pp
    and the amount will never be nerfed, and remove the place holders so its
    nothin but giants. Maybe even instance Rathe Mountains so the farmers
    can each have their own little giant farm. Preferrably with a banker who
    doesn't care about faction in each corner, and one in the middle. And a
    vendor who sells mana regen, and haste potions next to them.

    Players are decidely short sighted. Especially the whiners on forums.
    The last thing we need is development by forum-vote.

    > >Sure, they could have left the graphics the same as they were in 1999
    > >and the engine would probably have acheived excellent stability by now.
    > >Of course, we wouldn't have the new spell effects, the new models, the
    > >new complex zones, etc etc etc...
    >
    > Most players I know,have a horrible time in OoW zones,if they dont
    > turn the clip plane way down,so what it is this graphic update good
    > for?

    Well... I quite like the translucent webbing on the murkgliders, and I
    love the way the new models skins looks rough, or shiny, or rubbery
    depending on the model. The water finally looks like liquid.

    It looks like a modern game.

    > >They traded stability for features. Stable enough and lots of new stuff
    > >wins over rock solid and nothing gets added that might disrupt it.
    > >Its a GAME not an ATM machine.
    >
    > Hm,I prefere stability by far,at least I would expect that it stays
    > the same when adding new stuff.

    I hope you enjoy raiding negafen then.

    You can't just add new stuff without breaking old stuff in a complex
    system. The amount of regression testing is astronomical and
    expensive... in a critical system it gets done. In a GAME it doesn't;
    there's no time, and no money.

    FWIW I agree SOE can be pretty lax, lets some real bonehead mistakes
    through, and seems drag their feet fixing annoyances, especially little
    ones that should be easy fixes.

    But that's hardly call to stop developing new content.

    :)

    > >> And as another poster mentioned,what about the map background,thats
    > >> most annoying,this cant be hard to fix,clearly a sign they dont care
    > >> for quality.
    > >
    > >Another minor annoyance. My maps look fine. Its pretty trivial to update
    > >the maps to work with the default background.
    >
    > The maps were working fine when released,its an impertinence by SOE
    > that they dont fix it.Why should the player use annoying workarounds
    > which make the game less enjoyable?Really this cant be hard to fix.

    Maybe the bug team is busy trying to sort out why you get dropped to the
    desktop 5 times a day.

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:46:08 GMT, Rumbledor
    <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

    >Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:18:43 GMT, Rumbledor
    >> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

    >>>What exactly is the problem with the map background color? I'm not
    >>>aware of any issue there, as it looks ok to me.
    >>
    >> When maps went in,you could actually change the background color,
    >> of the map,now the same function changes the background color of the
    >> border of the map window.
    >>

    >I still don't see much need to change it other than personal preference, so
    >how can that be considered a significant issue? Am I missing something
    >here? Is it causing other problems of which I'm unaware? I understand that
    >white doesn't show up very well on it, but I can still see it well enough.
    >/shrug

    The point is that they dont fix it.

    Meldur

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:46:08 GMT, Rumbledor
    > <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

    >>> When maps went in,you could actually change the background color,
    >>> of the map,now the same function changes the background color of the
    >>> border of the map window.
    >>>

    >>I still don't see much need to change it other than personal
    >>preference, so how can that be considered a significant issue? Am I
    >>missing something here? Is it causing other problems of which I'm
    >>unaware? I understand that white doesn't show up very well on it, but
    >>I can still see it well enough. /shrug
    >
    > The point is that they dont fix it.

    Well, then I wouldn't call that a blatant disregard for quality, as its
    impact is quite minor.

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:17:09 GMT, Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:

    >Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> writes:
    >> As far as that goes, I rarely have EQ crash on me. As a matter of fact, I
    >> don't remember the last time it crashed on me for any reason other than
    >> WinEQ or custom UI issues.
    >
    >I've only been playing for about two years. A year ago, I'd find that
    >I often went LD just standing around, especially with my Bazaar mule.
    >Nowadays, LD is very rare, EXCEPT if I've been running for several DAYS
    >without restarting the client, and/or if I've been doing LOTS of zoning
    >(which can include switching characters) or I've been alt-tabbing back
    >and forth between windowed/fullscreen.

    Thinking about it,its probably the server,when I played on SolRo I
    rarely had such problems,it started when I moved to AB(Hardware is
    located in Paris).

    Meldur

    <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    > FWIW I agree SOE can be pretty lax, lets some real bonehead mistakes
    > through, and seems drag their feet fixing annoyances, especially little
    > ones that should be easy fixes.
    >
    > But that's hardly call to stop developing new content.

    Seconded.

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:46:08 GMT, Rumbledor
    <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

    >I still don't see much need to change it other than personal preference, so
    >how can that be considered a significant issue? Am I missing something
    >here? Is it causing other problems of which I'm unaware? I understand that
    >white doesn't show up very well on it, but I can still see it well enough.
    >/shrug

    The problem is that quite a few maps are unreadable against the
    standard background colour. Pale grey lines, white text - all too
    faint for my poor eyes to discern. In the last week or two I
    discovered a program called "Mappie", which lets you change colours in
    maps, and now I'm a happy chappy :)

    As someone mentioned, it shouldn't take a 3rd party to make a
    work-around for something like this.

    Palindrome

    <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:46:08 GMT, Rumbledor
    > <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I still don't see much need to change it other than personal preference, so
    > >how can that be considered a significant issue? Am I missing something
    > >here? Is it causing other problems of which I'm unaware? I understand that
    > >white doesn't show up very well on it, but I can still see it well enough.
    > >/shrug
    >
    > The problem is that quite a few maps are unreadable against the
    > standard background colour. Pale grey lines, white text - all too
    > faint for my poor eyes to discern. In the last week or two I
    > discovered a program called "Mappie", which lets you change colours in
    > maps, and now I'm a happy chappy :)
    >
    > As someone mentioned, it shouldn't take a 3rd party to make a
    > work-around for something like this.

    I used notepad for my third-party program...

    Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:46:08 GMT, Rumbledor
    > <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I still don't see much need to change it other than personal
    >>preference, so how can that be considered a significant issue? Am I
    >>missing something here? Is it causing other problems of which I'm
    >>unaware? I understand that white doesn't show up very well on it, but
    >>I can still see it well enough. /shrug
    >
    > The problem is that quite a few maps are unreadable against the
    > standard background colour. Pale grey lines, white text - all too
    > faint for my poor eyes to discern. In the last week or two I
    > discovered a program called "Mappie", which lets you change colours in
    > maps, and now I'm a happy chappy :)
    >
    > As someone mentioned, it shouldn't take a 3rd party to make a
    > work-around for something like this.

    I find that the maps that are not very readable with the background
    color, are extremely readable when faded, allowing you to see the lines
    on the map, and at the same time, see what is behind the map. I set my
    fade time and level such that I can read the maps easilly, and also see
    what is behind the map.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 37 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    > In article <f0f0h1dv5adtv742l37hkg2mrghojel929@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
    > online.de says...
    >> How many postings did you see prior to OoW release,where people were
    >> requesting to raise the level cap?
    >
    > So now new content should be what decided by whoever posts the most on
    > the forums? Great, I can see it now the next expansion will bring the
    > hillgiants back in full force, double the amount of cash they drop,
    > come with a signed contract fro SOE that every giant will drop at
    > least 20pp and the amount will never be nerfed, and remove the place
    > holders so its nothin but giants. Maybe even instance Rathe Mountains
    > so the farmers can each have their own little giant farm. Preferrably
    > with a banker who doesn't care about faction in each corner, and one
    > in the middle. And a vendor who sells mana regen, and haste potions
    > next to them.
    >
    > Players are decidely short sighted. Especially the whiners on forums.
    > The last thing we need is development by forum-vote.

    If you ask me, they did too much listening to the players in the last
    couple of years or so when making changes to the game. Not to say that
    all player requested changes were bad, but far too much of it, in my
    opinion, was directed at making the game too easy.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 37 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    On 29 Aug 2005 14:59:17 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

    >If you ask me, they did too much listening to the players in the last
    >couple of years or so when making changes to the game. Not to say that
    >all player requested changes were bad, but far too much of it, in my
    >opinion, was directed at making the game too easy.

    I agree wholeheartedly. To much "wish list" stuffgets actioned, while
    fundamentals are ignored.

    Palindrome

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:00:58 +0100, Palindrome
    <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >On 29 Aug 2005 14:59:17 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    ><RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >>If you ask me, they did too much listening to the players in the last
    >>couple of years or so when making changes to the game. Not to say that
    >>all player requested changes were bad, but far too much of it, in my
    >>opinion, was directed at making the game too easy.
    >
    >I agree wholeheartedly. To much "wish list" stuffgets actioned, while
    >fundamentals are ignored.

    I've seen this sort of comment a lot, and I'm genuinely curious...
    what fundamental changes should / could have been made to Everquest
    that would have preserved its essential character and yet expanded the
    game in such a way to keep it fresh and interesting?

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:36:21 GMT, murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:00:58 +0100, Palindrome
    ><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>On 29 Aug 2005 14:59:17 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    >><RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you ask me, they did too much listening to the players in the last
    >>>couple of years or so when making changes to the game. Not to say that
    >>>all player requested changes were bad, but far too much of it, in my
    >>>opinion, was directed at making the game too easy.
    >>
    >>I agree wholeheartedly. To much "wish list" stuffgets actioned, while
    >>fundamentals are ignored.
    >
    >I've seen this sort of comment a lot, and I'm genuinely curious...
    >what fundamental changes should / could have been made to Everquest
    >that would have preserved its essential character and yet expanded the
    >game in such a way to keep it fresh and interesting?

    Make ships working again,link ship trips with quests and tasks.
    Make quests more transparent,easy to do just add a little hint
    on quest item description what it is good for.
    Add some mid level Ldons,oh wait then there would be no need
    for DoN. :p
    Make zones more dynamic,war style events like the last ones or
    the FV/DL ones with fixed end are stupid and boring.Make it so
    that the results can differ from server to server,e.g. one server
    has GFay overtaken by Orcs on an other it is still in the hands of
    elves.Depending on how much Orcs or Elves are killed the owner
    ship of zone may change.Would be very interesting to see,what
    happens when one cannot enter his home zones.

    Well,one can always dream,but probably we will get another round
    of unbalancing items with absurd stats with next expansion,cause
    higher numbers sell sooo well,or where do the increased numbers
    of subscribers come from? :p

    Meldur

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:20:00 +0200, Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:36:21 GMT, murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>I've seen this sort of comment a lot, and I'm genuinely curious...
    >>what fundamental changes should / could have been made to Everquest
    >>that would have preserved its essential character and yet expanded the
    >>game in such a way to keep it fresh and interesting?
    >
    >Make ships working again,link ship trips with quests and tasks.
    >Make quests more transparent,easy to do just add a little hint
    >on quest item description what it is good for.

    Fix broken quests, make more quests actually *worth* doing

    >Add some mid level Ldons,oh wait then there would be no need
    >for DoN. :p
    >Make zones more dynamic,war style events like the last ones or
    >the FV/DL ones with fixed end are stupid and boring.Make it so
    >that the results can differ from server to server,e.g. one server
    >has GFay overtaken by Orcs on an other it is still in the hands of
    >elves.Depending on how much Orcs or Elves are killed the owner
    >ship of zone may change.Would be very interesting to see,what
    >happens when one cannot enter his home zones.

    Yes, all stuff I agree with, and which we have all mentioned many
    times over the years. I'm surprised murdocj missed it, heh

    >Well,one can always dream,but probably we will get another round
    >of unbalancing items with absurd stats with next expansion,cause
    >higher numbers sell sooo well,or where do the increased numbers
    >of subscribers come from? :p

    Many a true word :D

    Palindrome

    On 30 Aug 2005 16:09:50 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:36:21 GMT, murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>>I've seen this sort of comment a lot, and I'm genuinely curious...
    >>>what fundamental changes should / could have been made to Everquest
    >>>that would have preserved its essential character and yet expanded the
    >>>game in such a way to keep it fresh and interesting?
    >>
    >> Make ships working again,link ship trips with quests and tasks.
    >> Make quests more transparent,easy to do just add a little hint
    >> on quest item description what it is good for.
    >
    >Yeah, I'm another one of those wierdos that actually liked the ships.
    >
    >As for quests, they should not make them trivial to do, but, they should
    >make them possible to do with out total blind experimenting which is
    >often required for quests in EQ. I don't want them to go as far as the
    >quest journal in EQ2 where it walks you through the quests. I would not
    >mind them adding a quest journal that tracks what quests you have done,
    >what ones you are doing, and what you have completed for those you are
    >doing, as well as what the NPCs said to you for those quests. They do
    >have the journal in EQ, but it is a royal pain in the butt to find
    >anything in it to say the least. I would love to see them fix known
    >broken quests, and fix quests that are just unsolvable based on the
    >information provided in game to make them solvable.
    >
    >> Add some mid level Ldons,oh wait then there would be no need
    >> for DoN. :p
    >
    >You mean add more Ldon instances? LDON is already suitable for all
    >levels from 20ish up to 70.

    Sorry,this bit was a little unclear,I meant they should add a mid
    level difficulty,as it is now,normal is too easy and hard is still too
    hard.

    >> Make zones more dynamic,war style events like the last ones or
    >> the FV/DL ones with fixed end are stupid and boring.Make it so
    >> that the results can differ from server to server,e.g. one server
    >> has GFay overtaken by Orcs on an other it is still in the hands of
    >> elves.Depending on how much Orcs or Elves are killed the owner
    >> ship of zone may change.Would be very interesting to see,what
    >> happens when one cannot enter his home zones.
    >
    >I would love to see more of this, but, I want them to actually allow
    >players to influence the outcomes instead of just doing a preset
    >storyline with a preset result.
    >

    >> Well,one can always dream,but probably we will get another round
    >> of unbalancing items with absurd stats with next expansion,cause
    >> higher numbers sell sooo well,or where do the increased numbers
    >> of subscribers come from? :p
    >>

    >Unfortunately, what I expect from SoE is just more of the same. The sad
    >thing is, of the games I've tried, it is still the best one out there for
    >me.

    Again,same here,and probably I am too attached to my Characters
    to abandon them.

    Meldur

    > On 30 Aug 2005 16:09:50 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    > <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    >>> Add some mid level Ldons,oh wait then there would be no need for
    >>> DoN.
    >>> :p
    >>
    >>You mean add more Ldon instances? LDON is already suitable for all
    >>levels from 20ish up to 70.
    >
    > Sorry,this bit was a little unclear,I meant they should add a mid
    > level difficulty,as it is now,normal is too easy and hard is still too
    > hard.

    With the equipment levels available now, Hards are not that difficult. I
    was doing them long before I had even Elemental gear. Hard LDoNs are
    difficult to do if you don't have either a good mezzer, or a puller that
    can always get single pulls.

    I do agree that easy LDoNs are way too easy.

    --

    In article <Xns96C27457D3C8richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
    RichardRapier@netscape.net says...
    > Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    >
    > > On 30 Aug 2005 16:09:50 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    > > <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    > >>
    > >>You mean add more Ldon instances? LDON is already suitable for all
    > >>levels from 20ish up to 70.
    > >
    > > Sorry,this bit was a little unclear,I meant they should add a mid
    > > level difficulty,as it is now,normal is too easy and hard is still too
    > > hard.
    >
    > With the equipment levels available now, Hards are not that difficult. I
    > was doing them long before I had even Elemental gear. Hard LDoNs are
    > difficult to do if you don't have either a good mezzer, or a puller that
    > can always get single pulls.
    >
    > I do agree that easy LDoNs are way too easy.

    Way too easy for who? I usually run easy LDoNs, and find them plenty
    challenging thank you very much.

    Of course, I rarely have a full group, I rarely even exceed 3 people.
    Your dps drops considerably with only half a group.

    > In article <Xns96C27457D3C8richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
    > RichardRapier@netscape.net says...
    >> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

    >> > Sorry,this bit was a little unclear,I meant they should add a mid
    >> > level difficulty,as it is now,normal is too easy and hard is still
    >> > too hard.
    >>
    >> With the equipment levels available now, Hards are not that
    >> difficult. I was doing them long before I had even Elemental gear.
    >> Hard LDoNs are difficult to do if you don't have either a good
    >> mezzer, or a puller that can always get single pulls.
    >>
    >> I do agree that easy LDoNs are way too easy.
    >
    > Way too easy for who? I usually run easy LDoNs, and find them plenty
    > challenging thank you very much.
    >
    > Of course, I rarely have a full group, I rarely even exceed 3 people.
    > Your dps drops considerably with only half a group.

    Well, I was talking about for a full group. Easy LDoNs are quite
    trivial, and do not require any more healing than one shaman, with even a
    ranger tanking. I know because I've done it. Mind you, the ranger was
    rather well equipped, but substitute in a tank class with lesser
    equipment for similar results. I do have to admit that I have not done
    any LDoNs since level 65, and I understand that the level 70 LDoN is a 65
    hard, which, at least at level 65, was difficult, but doable, back before
    OOW/DoN equipment, when I was equipped with a mixture of Ssra and PoP
    pre-elemental gear.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 37 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:59:14 +0100, Palindrome
    <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:20:00 +0200, Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:36:21 GMT, murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>I've seen this sort of comment a lot, and I'm genuinely curious...
    >>>what fundamental changes should / could have been made to Everquest
    >>>that would have preserved its essential character and yet expanded the
    >>>game in such a way to keep it fresh and interesting?
    >>
    >>Make ships working again,link ship trips with quests and tasks.
    >>Make quests more transparent,easy to do just add a little hint
    >>on quest item description what it is good for.
    >
    >Fix broken quests, make more quests actually *worth* doing
    >
    >>Add some mid level Ldons,oh wait then there would be no need
    >>for DoN. :p
    >>Make zones more dynamic,war style events like the last ones or
    >>the FV/DL ones with fixed end are stupid and boring.Make it so
    >>that the results can differ from server to server,e.g. one server
    >>has GFay overtaken by Orcs on an other it is still in the hands of
    >>elves.Depending on how much Orcs or Elves are killed the owner
    >>ship of zone may change.Would be very interesting to see,what
    >>happens when one cannot enter his home zones.
    >
    >Yes, all stuff I agree with, and which we have all mentioned many
    >times over the years. I'm surprised murdocj missed it, heh

    I've seen the "fix the boats, fix the quests, fix xyz" stuff. It
    sounds like "more of the same". Doesn't seem like it would keep
    people involved.

    As far as dynamic zones, that sounds similar to PvP play in WoW (even
    on the PvE servers): as a result of a Horde raid, you might end up
    with whatever town you are in decimated for awhile. It's interesting
    and fun when people raid, but it can be pretty annoying, even though
    the NPCs repop in a few minutes. If you are saying that it might be
    days or weeks when you can't enter your home city to do quests, etc, I
    think you've come up with a new way to get rid of people.

    On 30 Aug 2005 17:26:13 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    >
    >> On 30 Aug 2005 16:09:50 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    >> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    >>>
    >>>You mean add more Ldon instances? LDON is already suitable for all
    >>>levels from 20ish up to 70.
    >>
    >> Sorry,this bit was a little unclear,I meant they should add a mid
    >> level difficulty,as it is now,normal is too easy and hard is still too
    >> hard.
    >
    >With the equipment levels available now, Hards are not that difficult. I
    >was doing them long before I had even Elemental gear. Hard LDoNs are
    >difficult to do if you don't have either a good mezzer, or a puller that
    >can always get single pulls.

    You need a Bard or FD puller for hard setting.I dont want to rely on
    mezzes,one resist,and you wipe with no chance of finishing in time.
    More specifically you need a monk for best chances of success.

    Meldur

    >On 30 Aug 2005 17:26:13 GMT, Graeme Faelban said:
    >>With the equipment levels available now, Hards are not that difficult. I
    >>was doing them long before I had even Elemental gear. Hard LDoNs are
    >>difficult to do if you don't have either a good mezzer, or a puller that
    >>can always get single pulls.

    Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
    >You need a Bard or FD puller for hard setting.I dont want to rely on
    >mezzes,one resist,and you wipe with no chance of finishing in time.
    >More specifically you need a monk for best chances of success.

    When LDoN was new, this was true for a lot of groups. As a L65 enchanter with
    ~3500 HP buffed, I could reliably mez a double-pull ONLY because we had a
    near-perfect group to back me up. Three mobs or bad resists caused a wipe.
    We were fast at recovery, so we could still win even after a wipe, sometimes
    after two. Damn, those were fun times. And there were AMAZING pets when
    they didn't wipe us. Risk vs reward was a real topic of discussion in the
    group over that :)

    Even when it was new, I sometimes grouped with hardcore raiders who simply had
    no problem with them. It was nice because I always got to charm, but kinda
    boring because there was no real risk of failure - they'd honestly be able to
    finish without me.

    Nowadays, I'd say the groups of L65-70 that struggle in WoS probably need a
    bard or FD puller in LDoN, but they can do it. The groups that do well in
    MPG or RSS can easily handle LDoN with "just" an enchanter, or even some other
    class to root park adds if they're careful.

    It's easy to forget just how wide the range of power level the game has, even
    for groups of similar level.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    In article <Xns96C282F41F35Frichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
    RichardRapier@netscape.net says...
    thank you very much.

    > > Of course, I rarely have a full group, I rarely even exceed 3 people.
    > > Your dps drops considerably with only half a group.
    > >

    > Well, I was talking about for a full group. Easy LDoNs are quite
    > trivial, and do not require any more healing than one shaman, with even a
    > ranger tanking. I know because I've done it. Mind you, the ranger was
    > rather well equipped, but substitute in a tank class with lesser
    > equipment for similar results. I do have to admit that I have not done
    > any LDoNs since level 65, and I understand that the level 70 LDoN is a 65
    > hard, which, at least at level 65, was difficult, but doable, back before
    > OOW/DoN equipment, when I was equipped with a mixture of Ssra and PoP
    > pre-elemental gear.

    My point was simply that LDoN easy is not inherently trivial. And
    certainly not WAAAY to easy. There is no way I'd be able to reliably
    three man a hard within the time constraints, and having to fill out a
    group in order to succeed would take orders of magnitude longer than
    getting a 3 man team going.... so I'm grateful there is an easy setting.

    > On 30 Aug 2005 17:26:13 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    > <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

    >>> Sorry,this bit was a little unclear,I meant they should add a mid
    >>> level difficulty,as it is now,normal is too easy and hard is still
    >>> too hard.
    >>
    >>With the equipment levels available now, Hards are not that difficult.
    >> I was doing them long before I had even Elemental gear. Hard LDoNs
    >>are difficult to do if you don't have either a good mezzer, or a
    >>puller that can always get single pulls.
    >
    > You need a Bard or FD puller for hard setting.I dont want to rely on
    > mezzes,one resist,and you wipe with no chance of finishing in time.
    > More specifically you need a monk for best chances of success.

    Yes, but, given a good puller, they are easy to do. Personally, I prefer
    a good bard, it's faster that way.

    --

    > In article <Xns96C282F41F35Frichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
    > RichardRapier@netscape.net says...
    > thank you very much.
    >> >
    >> > Of course, I rarely have a full group, I rarely even exceed 3
    >> > people. Your dps drops considerably with only half a group.
    >> >

    >> Well, I was talking about for a full group. Easy LDoNs are quite
    >> trivial, and do not require any more healing than one shaman, with
    >> even a ranger tanking. I know because I've done it. Mind you, the
    >> ranger was rather well equipped, but substitute in a tank class with
    >> lesser equipment for similar results. I do have to admit that I have
    >> not done any LDoNs since level 65, and I understand that the level 70
    >> LDoN is a 65 hard, which, at least at level 65, was difficult, but
    >> doable, back before OOW/DoN equipment, when I was equipped with a
    >> mixture of Ssra and PoP pre-elemental gear.
    >
    > My point was simply that LDoN easy is not inherently trivial. And
    > certainly not WAAAY to easy. There is no way I'd be able to reliably
    > three man a hard within the time constraints, and having to fill out a
    > group in order to succeed would take orders of magnitude longer than
    > getting a 3 man team going.... so I'm grateful there is an easy
    > setting.

    I have not done any LDoNs in a long time, back when I did, it was not
    hard to get a full group for one. When doing the easy ones, we didn't
    worry too much about group composition either. Today, I would imagine
    it's almost impossible to get an LDoN going.

    --

    Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
    > I have not done any LDoNs in a long time, back when I did, it was not
    > hard to get a full group for one. When doing the easy ones, we didn't
    > worry too much about group composition either. Today, I would imagine
    > it's almost impossible to get an LDoN going.

    These days, when I do an LDON I bring my own half-group (me, a friend,
    and either my wife or me using her account for a cleric), and if we
    happen to find other people in the right level range that's fine, but
    usually we end up running with 3 or maybe 4. At lower levels we have
    no problem with "normal" LDONs given we're a bit twinked; in the 50s
    we did okay until our group's average level crossed an LDON boundary,
    and then we had to start being a lot more careful with our pulls.

    I don't remember when's the last time I was in a full LDON group.

    -- Don.

    -- Sukrasisx, Monk 57 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
    -- Terrwini, Druid 52 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
    -- Teviron, Knight 23 on E. Marr

    Don Woods wrote:

    > Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
    >
    >>I have not done any LDoNs in a long time, back when I did, it was not
    >>hard to get a full group for one. When doing the easy ones, we didn't
    >>worry too much about group composition either. Today, I would imagine
    >>it's almost impossible to get an LDoN going.
    >

    > These days, when I do an LDON I bring my own half-group (me, a friend,
    > and either my wife or me using her account for a cleric), and if we
    > happen to find other people in the right level range that's fine, but
    > usually we end up running with 3 or maybe 4. At lower levels we have
    > no problem with "normal" LDONs given we're a bit twinked; in the 50s
    > we did okay until our group's average level crossed an LDON boundary,
    > and then we had to start being a lot more careful with our pulls.
    >
    > I don't remember when's the last time I was in a full LDON group.
    >
    > -- Don.

    I used to play a mage along with a husband and wife warrior/cleric team,
    and we did LDoN's exclusively from about 30 to 60. As the core group,
    we had a list of people who we'd gladly add, and we'd take new people
    who were LFG and give them a chance, adding them to the list if things
    went well. If we had help we'd do hards, but if not we'd do normal and
    never had a problem, in fact as we neared one of those LDoN boundary
    levels we could do hards even though we clearly lacked key elements like
    crowd control, haste, and slow. The key was being pathologically
    careful about pulling, I was constantly scouting ahead with the eye, the
    warrior would poke his head in and spot while the cleric would stand
    back a little and lull.

    The "core team" idea, getting a compatible subgroup, is I think a great
    approach to EQ, if your core can play on its own then you never lack for
    something to do, but at the same time its relatively easy to recruit
    people to form a larger group to do even more interesting things. I
    tend to make sure I can solo decently, which I guess is my way of making
    my own small group core, but I don't find that the "an army of one"
    concept really helps me form groups, quite the opposite, I'm generally
    not disposed to bother, even though I know I actually enjoy grouping
    more than soloing.

    The "List" concept was also a great approach, as we went along we picked
    up more and more people who met our criteria of reasonably competant and
    fun to play with...and who played at the same times we did. Sadly,
    differing leveling speeds meant some of those people fell off the list
    simply by becoming too low level, and others jumped off the list by
    leveling too fast for us, but by and large the idea worked pretty well.

    I'm thinking, in todays low population EQ, that I should really look
    into reviving that approach rather than my normal "solo with the LFG
    flag on" plan which, to be frank, isn't really getting me many groups at
    all.

    Midi

    In alt.games.everquest, Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:

    >Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
    >> I have not done any LDoNs in a long time, back when I did, it was not

    >These days, when I do an LDON I bring my own half-group (me, a friend,
    >and either my wife or me using her account for a cleric), and if we

    [snip]

    >I don't remember when's the last time I was in a full LDON group.

    Every now and then a guildie needs a few points for something like the
    enchanter ae stun, or the warrior hate augs, and we put groups together and
    run through a bunch of LDoN's for them. I haven't done a pickup group LDoN
    in a long while.

    --
    Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
    Recommended Author : Stan Nicholls [http://www.stannicholls.com]