CthulhuTechnician

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I don't understand people who want to get an absolute over-kill 3294584039 dollar GPU to run their games at 500 fps.
They say 45-60 FPS is UNPLAYABLE.

I am surprised to see those types of morons roaming the internet...
The human eye can only perceive 24 fps; I bet they can't tell me the difference between 200 and 60, unless of course they're some sort of mutant with slowed vision.

What is playable to you guys?

Solution
Well, there's some grounds as to why some people want higher than normal FPS for a game. Perhaps trying to understand that will alleviate some of your aggravation towards the fact.

Let me point out some of them for your convenience:

- back in the day and even some games today the FPS of the game was tied to controls polling and for online games it was tied to how many packets were sent to the server (ie 1 packet per frame ). Consequently, when people wanted to get more responsive controls or ensure their packets can flood the server que before their enemy packets have a chance to get there would mean it gave them an edge in their game. Problem is that notion is no longer true today, but some people still continue to think that way.

Well, there's some grounds as to why some people want higher than normal FPS for a game. Perhaps trying to understand that will alleviate some of your aggravation towards the fact.

Let me point out some of them for your convenience:

- back in the day and even some games today the FPS of the game was tied to controls polling and for online games it was tied to how many packets were sent to the server (ie 1 packet per frame ). Consequently, when people wanted to get more responsive controls or ensure their packets can flood the server que before their enemy packets have a chance to get there would mean it gave them an edge in their game. Problem is that notion is no longer true today, but some people still continue to think that way.

- claiming that human eye cannot see more than 24 fps at a steady rate is correct. However, when the said fps is not consistent, ie your game experiences a drop from 60 to 30 fps, most people will notice that change. So, in most cases people try to push the game to absolute ridiculous fps in hopes of achieving less noticeable drops, because they are harder to notice at higher fps, plus, when you have a video card capable of pushing over 120 fps, chances are it's powerful enough to maintain at least 60 fps all the times.

- some 3D vision set ups require 120 fps in order to produce a steady 60fps visual.

- some people have hyper sensitivity to light, thus, they may experience higher sensitivity to light change on a computer screen.

- Lastly, you must not underestimate the human desire for bragging. Especially in today's culture of e-peen competition.

Also, relevant: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Solution

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Why they do that? If the person is a gamer, it's solely for e-peen.

If the computer is used for 3D rendering, however, the better a GPU, the less time spent waiting to see if your flick turned out okay.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Also its worth noting that the Network latency and Map knowledge is probably more critical in the nano seconds reflexes of some of the better players than FPS.
And you can make quite a difference in optimising the connections between the devices on your system board.
However all of these clever things that people do are totally pointless if you have you MP3 running in the background and FRAPS. to catch those EPIC 1337 poon lolz ect...
Also i often wonder about 6000dpi mouse' if the screen dpi is less than half that (1600x900@20" = 92DPI)
http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html
On top of all this you have a monitor which is running at 60hz if you run the game at 120hz you miss half the data that is been sent. if your game is running at 120FPS and your screen at 75hz, sometimes you will miss 3 or more frames as the 75hz and the 120hz over lap.

Fix your games FPS to match you screen Hz and free up the CPU/GPU cycles for the AI, physics, Anti-aliasing (quality).

just my 2p

What's this e-peen? I haven't heard of it before. What's it a reference to? As for framerates, 30fps looks smooth to me, though I find what's smooth isn't necessary instantly responsive if I move the mouse fast. I think 40fps is a good bet for instant responsiveness. I've never bothered measuring FPS though except to compare numbers when upgrading (to see what I've gained). If a game feels smooth and responsive, I'm happy. That article that was linked by AntiZig is a good read.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
e-peen stands for electronic-penis. Ego, basically.

The smoothness of FPS differs between games. With Mount and Blade, there is a little difference between 40fps and 50fps, but no difference between 50 and 60.
With Fallout 3, anything over 30fps makes the game run faster in every possible way. @ 60fps, your character is running at twice the speed, and the days are half as long.
With Rome Total War, there is practically no difference between 30fps, 40fps, 50fps and 60fps.
With Skyrim, 30 fps is rather slow, everything looks like they are missing a couple of frames in their animation. @ 40fps, everything is fine and dandy. @ 60fps, it actually feels too smooth. Hard to describe it.

The people that preach "Anything under 60fps is unplayable" either have the worst tv/monitor ever, or are trying to get you to spend more on the parts you buy, for no reason.

30fps is pretty good for most games. Me? I like 40fps. Anything higher is just too weird for me.

Also, I've found games only become unplayable when they dip to around 20<fps.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Under 30 is unplayable for me, 45 - 60 is what I aim for. To say the eye can't notice anything higher than 24fps is not true.

If it is true I must have magic eyes because it makes a huge difference to me.

Are you playing on a 30hz screen?

CthulhuTechnician

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

No; 60hz.

Hi :)

I really don't understand the reasoning behind your question....jealousy maybe ?

I get LOTS of people who come into my shops for GAMING machines, and ask for the BEST, which we custom build for them...and they cost THOUSANDS of Pounds....

Its a bit like cars...I own a Porsche as I personally think they are the best, if we all drove Minis, life would be VERY boring....

All the best Brett :)

e-peen... now I get it :-D

CthulhuTechnician

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

No.

It's just that I don't see why people should spend so much money on something that really makes no difference, unless you're preparing for new gen games.

Right now I have a GTX 570 in my PC, but I have a GTX 690 in it's box, waiting for the new games to come out, but the GTX 570 can handle games right now, I don't need an overkill.

Hi :)

Maybe you don't want the best machine, but my customers do....

We once had a lady who came in and who wanted the "best gaming machine" we could build, money no object....

So i asked her what type of games she played, she said, Freecell and some other card games.....

I explained she really didn't need anything special in the way of graphics cards for that, but she understood but still wanted the best...

So we built her the best.... and a very pretty pink machine it was too (any gamer would have killed for this machine) ...

The cost was £4500.00 .....

My point being..... what is NEEDED and what people WANT , are two totally different things....

All the best Brett :)

CthulhuTechnician

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Some people just don't know how to manage their money in my personal opinion.