Remote printing

September 9, 2005 6:36:09 PM

I have an XP-Pro machine at a remote site and I need to print to this
machine's printer via the internet from any machine on an office LAN
which has a mix of windows versions under a Server 2003.

I shared the printer on the XP machine as Prn1. I added a printer to the
Server2003. I used:

net use lpt2: \\remote.ip.address\Prn1 /p

and assigned LPT2 as the port on the server machine. I then shared the
server's printer to the rest of the LAN.

This setup works....sometimes. I can usually get a test page to go once
from any of the LAN machines, but when I print real jobs (Word docs,
etc) I get "Remote downlevel document failed" at the server and nothing
at the remote site.

What am I missing? Is it a username/login/security issue? Whats the best
way to troubleshoot it?

Would sharing the printer via IIS be a better method?

More about : remote printing

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:10:02 PM

Most likely this is a delegation issue sending data from machine 3 (client
connection) to undelegated machine 2 (print server) to machine 1 . You can
enable delegation on machine 2 to allow the data to pass to machine 1. Or
refer to this KB which will allow anonymous to null session shares. You
will also need to add Anonymous Logon to the \\remote.ip.address\Prn1
printer security tab.

HOW TO: Enable Null Session Shares on a Windows 2000-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289655
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team