Xbox 360 4GB Slim question

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I just bought a brand new Xbox 360 4gb Slim model still sealed in the package for a really great price. I also bought an new 250GB hard drive to put inside it when I get them both delivered.

My question is this: I know that the base model only has 4GB of storage, but how much will I have once I put the new Hard Drive into it? Does the xbox go through a formatting process that uses some of the existing space on the hard drive to place files that only the system uses, like a PC does, or will the entire 250GB be available? If the latter, will I end up with 254GB of internal storage?

Thanks

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
You can check available memory in the console settings under storage.

It won't combine them, they are separate, so you will have a device that is 3.2GB (internal memory) and a device that is 235-240 (Hard drive).

Only the 4GB models have the 4GB internal memory chip, ones that come with a 250GB hard drive (the glossy one) doesn't have a internal memory chip as it has the hard drive with it already.

You can only use one storage device at a time, not both at the same time.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Thanks for the reply, I think it's pretty lame of microsoft to sell the 4gb slims with an upgrade slot for an internal hard drive up to 320GB then not allow you to use both of the at the same time like you can on a PC. DOH, makes no sense? Right now I'm not even sure if I'm going to use it or turn it over and sell it as a 250GB slim model? For the price I got it for, I can more than likely at least double my money? guess I'll wait until the end of the week and see what I feel like doing.

Thanks again for the speedy, reply.