Games runs slow when I plug in the laptop

Edusama

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hi everyone! This is my first post in this forum, and I've seen you solve many problems so I hope we can find a solution to mine. :)

I recently bought a Toshiba Laptop Satellite S855D-S5253 with this specs:

CPU: Amd A10-4600m Quad Core 2.3 ghz
RAM: 6 GB
GPU: Amd Radeon HD 7660G 512 MB
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (but did a fresh install of W7 Ultimate) x64

The problem I have is that when i'm playing a game, let's say for example Sonic Generations and i have the laptop plugged in, the game slows down, but when i'm playing with the battery (unplugged) it plays perfectly fine. When playing with the laptop plugged in, the game runs between 22~35 fps, and when unplugged the game runs between 40-45 fps most of the time and slows down in some minor points to 35 fps. I made sure the all drivers are working properly specially the one of Radeon HD 7660G, i have the latest updates, configured the power plans to work with max performance and even in the Catalyst Control Center configured the CPU to run at the maximum clock rate when plugged in....but nothing changed :(

Using Amd System Monitor I discovered that when i'm doing basic things with my laptop (just using windows, browsing, etc.) the cores are working at 2.3 ghz when plugged in, BUT! when I begin to play a game they drop to 1.5 ghz! :ouch: The moment I disconnect the laptop they return to 2.3 ghz :heink: I tried with another charger that I have just to see if it was some problem with one that came with the laptop but I kept having the same problem.

Does anyone has any idea what's causing that problem? I really want to play nice with my laptop because my battery isn't eternal and won't last forever and it seems that I only get the full potential when playing games only when unplugged :( ...Any help will be appreciated, I will be checking this thread very often, Thank you. :hello:

Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company....

Two thoughts here...

When you upgraded to Ultimate, did you FORMAT the drive or UPGRADE ??

Because if you formatted, you also wiped ALL the Tosh power control software....

Second thought..what happens if you REMOVE the battery and just run on the mains power ??

All the best Brett :)

Edusama

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Wow! Thank you for your ultra fast response! :D

I formated the drive when i upgraded to Ultimae, hmmm but i'm pretty sure I reinstalled all the drivers. But i will check if find any Toshiba power control software that i may be possibly missing.

Oh! And I tried removing the battery but i'm keep having the same results as before :(

There is a LOT of that TOSH stuff....you may have to go back to Home Premium to find out if that cures it....

Just out of interest, WHY did you upgrade to Ultimate when its so expensive and gives you very little extra ?

Edusama

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah i think that I was veeeery silly of me in doing that :( the problem is that when I bought this laptop in amazon and got it delivered it didn't came with a restore CD so I can go back to Home Premium...are you sure i can't not solve this on Windows 7 Ultimate? I really don't know what to do now...

Well in my shops we would take it back to original (home premium) to SEE if it solved the problem.....

Plus we would load ALL the Home premium drivers AND applications (like the power stuff) that it had originally...

You could always BUY the restore dvds (the proper ones with everything on from Tosh).... they are not free though...

I am starting to wonder if it had this problem when you bought it and that's why the seller sold it ?

Edusama

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
That couldn't be the case because I bought it totally new from amazon, you can check for yourself here: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S855D-S5253-15-6-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B0088L19VC/ref=sr_1_48?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345005326&sr=1-48&keywords=toshiba

I have this laptop for a month now and never noticed that problem until I played some graphic demanding games like BF 3, Sonic Generations, Fable III, etc. The first day that got the laptop I did the upgrade to Ultimate because a good friend of mine gave me a copy of it and I was like "Why not? :D"....but right now I'm regretting of doing that upgrade...you sure that could the problem I'm having? :(

Edusama

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Ok :( the problem is that i don't live in the USA to take it to you, you are from there no?...also...hypothetically saying...if going back to Home Premium doesn't solve my problem, what else could I try?

I am in the UK...but never take custom from here (it would bias my advice)

Personally I wouldn't try anything else until you have taken it back...

Edusama

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks for all the help. I did some research and found that my laptop didn't come with Recovery CD because all factory settings are stored in a hidden partition, and can be accesed pressing 0 when booting up the computer, i found that in this page: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4811-toshiba-laptop-reset-to-factory-settings

Do you know anything about this? Should I try it? By any means I will begin backing up my files just to be ready. :)

mals rename

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
there may be constraints in the processor and Ram, which should more carefully is to see what games you want to use and would like to play, because what, every game is different - different in using them, but probably should be using Daemon Tools Game Booster.

http://jalantikus.com/download/61/daemon-tools-lite

as fit for all the games and help the performance of the games themselves and help performance ram and VGA in your own laptop, so it will make it easier game.

Edusama

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I restored to factory defaults, I'm using the original Windows 7 Home Premium that came with my laptop, but that didn't fix the problem! :( any other ideas I can try to fix this?

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Your problem certainly is strange! I have never known a machine to perform better on battery than plugged in - it would usually be the other way around. There is really no solution I could think off except as Brett said take it back to where you got it from for repair.

Edusama

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

I checked the temperatures and when plugged in and unplugged is perfectly fine between 43-48° and when playing high demanding games it goes up to a maximum of 60°