Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming wheel supporting PC games

Last response: in Video Games
October 16, 2012 11:19:24 PM

Hi.

I am planning to buy a racing wheel, can anyone please suggest is it worth to buy a racing wheel.
-And which are the some good racing pc games which i can play on my PC with gaming wheel??
a b 4 Gaming
October 16, 2012 11:26:41 PM

It's worth it, if you're an enthusiast of either PC gaming or motor sports.

One of the highest quality PC-compatible wheels that you could find for under $100.00 would be a used Driving Force Pro originally for I believe PS2. It has force feedback and sturdy weight, along with a sequential shift both stick and paddles.
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:31:00 PM

casualcolors said:
It's worth it, if you're an enthusiast of either PC gaming or motor sports.

One of the highest quality PC-compatible wheels that you could find for under $100.00 would be a used Driving Force Pro originally for I believe PS2. It has force feedback and sturdy weight, along with a sequential shift both stick and paddles.

Ok , will look for the availability here in india.
I have personally never used it ,and i am just curious how we can use it, do we have to put on the lap and play?
and can you suggest some good games for it, i have NFS hot pursuit2 and NFS run., any other good games which you can suggest.?
-Also will this wheel be compatible for other future racing games?
-Thanks for your quick response. :hello: 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
October 16, 2012 11:35:28 PM

NFS: The Run and Hot Pursuit are not particularly good wheel games because they do not have enthusiast-level physics. Better games to play with a wheel would be Shift/Shift 2/Dirt/Dirt 2/Dirt 3/upcoming WRC 3 and so on. But yes a wheel will work with Hot Pursuit and The Run.
October 16, 2012 11:51:49 PM

casualcolors said:
NFS: The Run and Hot Pursuit are not particularly good wheel games because they do not have enthusiast-level physics. Better games to play with a wheel would be Shift/Shift 2/Dirt/Dirt 2/Dirt 3/upcoming WRC 3 and so on. But yes a wheel will work with Hot Pursuit and The Run.

Ok thanks a lot :) 

and i am playing games on my pc on my wall mounted lcd with help of wireless keyboard and mouse,so how can i setup this gaming wheel to play the games?
Does it needed to be setup on a table ?
m
l
October 17, 2012 12:20:22 AM

Should i go for Thrustmaster ferrarigaming wheels ? are they good brand?
Which one would you suggest under 100$.?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 12:27:10 AM

Honestly Logitech's wheels rule the school where wheels are concerned.
m
l
October 17, 2012 7:15:18 PM

Best answer selected by sid11.
m
l
October 17, 2012 7:15:51 PM

Ok, but those are way out of my budget. :( 
m
l
October 17, 2012 11:37:38 PM

How about genius gaming wheel or thrustmaster?
i will not be playing hardcore racing on that, would they be a good option for normal gaming on weekend just for couple of hours??
m
l
October 18, 2012 6:16:42 AM

Thrustmaster are the best quality for driving or flight sims.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 4:08:05 PM

thee_prisoner said:
Thrustmaster are the best quality for driving or flight sims.

If you have an unlimited budget, yes. But the problem is that up to the 200 dollar mark where it is competing in Logitech's price point, Logitech's products are better across the board. To get to where Thrustmaster shines, you have to cross the $400 barrier and that's not something most people are willing to do. That's not something most enthusiasts are even willing to do.
m
l
October 18, 2012 10:44:36 PM

I am thinking to buy thrustmaster ferrari 2 in 1 with force feedback, its kind of in my budget.

Do you think it will be a good choice for casual driving gaming.?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 11:08:29 PM

sid11 said:
I am thinking to buy thrustmaster ferrari 2 in 1 with force feedback, its kind of in my budget.

Do you think it will be a good choice for casual driving gaming.?

I have the TM ferrari and it works quite well. It doesn't have a right hand shifter, but it does have the finger flippers behind the wheel. I've been happy with it, but there was 1 problem I had at first; the peddles would slide on me as I used them. Looking at the Logitech peddles from the link above, it likely has the same issue. To fix it, I bolted the peddles to a piece of plywood that long enough to reach the wall floor boards while in use. Now I can push on the peddles and they don't move. The thrustmaster peddles came with bolt holes on the bottom, making the modification easy to do.

I went with the cheapest wheel that looked like it could do the job, as I honestly don't play a lot of driving games, but Dirt 2 and 3 were really good.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 11:13:50 PM

The Logitech pedals have a flip down spike-strip on the bottom for use on carpet, which hold it in place pretty well. I've never used them on a wood floor though.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 11:20:15 PM

casualcolors said:
The Logitech pedals have a flip down spike-strip on the bottom for use on carpet, which hold it in place pretty well. I've never used them on a wood floor though.

Spikes could be a good solution, though I wonder if it would wear the carpet out if you moved it often.
m
l
October 18, 2012 11:20:37 PM

OK and can we use it with out the pedals??
can the buttons given on the wheel used as accltr and brakes?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 11:25:29 PM

sid11 said:
OK and can we use it with out the pedals??
can the buttons given on the wheel used as accltr and brakes?

Yes, you'd just have to map them to perform as breaks and accelerate, but you lose a ton of feel on the accelerator. As buttons, it would behave as full throttle or no throttle, so you would have to tap it on and off for anything other than full speed. The peddle gives you an analog peddle, allowing to chose acceleration levels between full and off. The same goes for the breaks.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 11:28:12 PM

sid11 said:
http://www.flipkart.com/thrustmaster-ferrari-gt-experie...

Please check this and let me know if its a good choice or not.?
I am planning to buy it on saturday.

That is what I have, and I do like it, but like I mentioned, for the peddles to work well on carpet (don't know if it's a problem on hard floors), I had to bolt the peddles to a piece of wood long enough to hit the floor boards at the wall. This prevents them from sliding forward when using the peddles.

I have no idea what is a good deal with that currency.
m
l
October 18, 2012 11:29:23 PM

bystander said:
Yes, you'd just have to map them to perform as breaks and accelerate, but you lose a ton of feel on the accelerator. As buttons, it would behave as full throttle or no throttle, so you would have to tap it on and off for anything other than full speed. The peddle gives you an analog peddle, allowing to chose acceleration levels between full and off. The same goes for the breaks.

Thanks a ton man :D 

:) 
and i do i need to place it on a table and then bolt the wheel?? Or can i play it on lap??
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 11:31:25 PM

sid11 said:
Thanks a ton man :D 

:) 
and i do i need to place it on a table and then bolt the wheel?? Or can i play it on lap??

The wheel has to be clamped to a table/desk to function. The clamps are built in. This is one of the reasons I liked this wheel. The clamps make the wheel very solid, so it doesn't shift when in the heat of a race.
m
l
October 18, 2012 11:35:46 PM

bystander said:
That is what I have, and I do like it, but like I mentioned, for the peddles to work well on carpet (don't know if it's a problem on hard floors), I had to bolt the peddles to a piece of wood long enough to hit the floor boards at the wall. This prevents them from sliding forward when using the peddles.

I have no idea what is a good deal with that currency.

Really ??you have the same wheels?? :) 

ya it will be costing around 70$ in your currency.

-Okay, and i also have concrete floors so i guess i have to use a carpet.

i used to play the games on my bean bag, so i guess i have to make some arrangement for table to adjust it.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 18, 2012 11:42:34 PM

sid11 said:
Really ??you have the same wheels?? :) 

ya it will be costing around 70$ in your currency.

-Okay, and i also have concrete floors so i guess i have to use a carpet.

i used to play the games on my bean bag, so i guess i have to make some arrangement for table to adjust it.

On concrete, it may work perfectly well. The rubber feet on it shouldn't slide on concrete. On carpet, I had to make a modification so it didn't slide. That may not be an issue for you.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2012 12:14:38 AM

How far does that wheel rotate? I feel like that's the model that only rotated 90 degrees to either side? Correct me if I'm wrong.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2012 12:32:05 AM

Yes, you are correct.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2012 12:45:45 AM

$70.00 seems like an awful lot for a wheel with only 180 degrees of turning radius.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2012 1:07:22 AM

It all depends on what you want. Those Formula 1 cars do not have much in the way of turning wheel radius either.

What matters to me at least, is if you have full analog movement and pedal control, and it feels solid.
m
l
October 19, 2012 1:57:27 AM

Than what wil be another option till 100$??????
m
l
October 19, 2012 4:18:32 AM

casualcolors said:
If you have an unlimited budget, yes. But the problem is that up to the 200 dollar mark where it is competing in Logitech's price point, Logitech's products are better across the board. To get to where Thrustmaster shines, you have to cross the $400 barrier and that's not something most people are willing to do. That's not something most enthusiasts are even willing to do.

I'm not disagreeing but I'm from the old Falcon flying series where enthusiasts will pay the money for accurate and tank built like products that will last them many years. You get what you pay for, I don't have a problem with Logitech but if you are a serious sim fan, these peripherals take a lot of abuse and Thrust Master products last a long time.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2012 3:41:29 PM

thee_prisoner said:
I'm not disagreeing but I'm from the old Falcon flying series where enthusiasts will pay the money for accurate and tank built like products that will last them many years. You get what you pay for, I don't have a problem with Logitech but if you are a serious sim fan, these peripherals take a lot of abuse and Thrust Master products last a long time.

In the flightstick department I agree with you completely. I don't care for Logitech's flight peripherals much either. Their wheels are sturdily built however, and far exceed the quality of their different flight components. Not relevant to this thread, but if I were looking for a cyclic and collective, foot pedals etc I'd actually look to CH before any of the other brands.
m
l
!