Borderlands 2 keeps crashing.. can someone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noregretlife

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hello,

I've updated all my drivers, turned PhysX to low. Changed PhysX settings so that it's all GPU instead of "auto". Verified cache integrity. And yet 10-15 min into the game, it'll crash. Sometimes it'll blue screen with a physical memory dump, other times it'll just freeze and I'll have to force shut down.

Lately it's been weirder because after I force shut down by hitting the power button. It won't boot up again until I turn the power switch on back of my desktop off, wait a few seconds, then turn it on again.. so I'm thinking it might be a hardware thing but I have no idea what it is/what to do.

Windows 7 64-bit Professional (6.1, Build 7601)
7 GB RAM
AMD Phenom II X3 710 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor HDX710WFGIBOX
Award Module BIOS v6.00PG
DirectX 11
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

noregretlife

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty beginner in terms of my knowledge.. are you saying I should upgrade my graphics card? I have had it for a few years.. What would you recommend?

AMD CPU with an Nvidia GPU is fine. You GPU is also powerful enough to run the game.

My first suspicion would be overheating. Can you check your peak temperatures for CPU and GPU? Use a tool like CPUID HWMonitor or Piriform Speccy. Play the game for a few minutes but stop before it crashes, then check the max temps reported.

We'll start there and then move on when you report back.

noregretlife

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hey, thanks for the response. I don't think it's overheating. I used Speedfan to check temps, and GPU runs close to 70, and CPU around 50.

It took even less time to freeze on me this time, around 5-10 min. What concerns me is that after I force shutdown, it won't boot up. I have to cut the power supply and plug it back in for it to boot up again.

shad0w snip3r

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Use task manager to see what cpu use borderlands 2 is, if it's maxing the cpu get a new one. Otherwise get a new gpu. I recommend like a 560ti or something not too expensive

Do you seriously have 7 gb ram? where do you even get that?

There's no evidence that yet that he needs to spend money to fix the problem. We haven't yet found the cause of the crash so just saying "buy a new one" is not necessarily good advice.

What's the make and model of your power supply? Do your voltages appear normal?

Speedfan can display voltages:

http://www.almico.com/sfscreenshots.php

But I prefer HWMonitor since it shows min and max values as well. You need to check how much your+5V and +12V values fluctuate when the PC is performing a heavy workload.

Check the PSU means opening up the case, unfortunately. Before you do that however, are you experiencing crashes while playing other games or performing other intensive tasks?

noregretlife

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Motherboard
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model GA-MA790X-UD4P (Socket M2)
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model 790X
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model SB700
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 39 °C
BIOS
Brand Award Software International, Inc.
Version F2
Date 03/02/2009

I had this happening with World of Warcraft a few years back. The PC would turn off and to make it work again I would have to cut power and then replug it. It turned out to be two faulty memory sticks.

You can check your memory with memtest tool: www.memtest.org

saladbean

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
OK, so i suspect that my error is different. I have run a CPU load tester, a GPU load tester and Memtest86+, all of which passed.
Finally I used the Catalyst control panel to update my ATI drivers, and now instead of crashing the whole system, only the graphics crashes, which is the recovered.
Windows reports the following error:
"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
and then the GPU restarts and everything carries on.

Has only started happening in the last week so suspect it's a problem with a latest borderlands 2 patch?

pathover

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I had the same problem. Borderlands2 will crash at any minute during the quest. The temperature of GPU and CPU are both below 60C, so it's not overheating. At first I thought it was the problem of my RAM or drivers, but when I run stress test on my GPU by MSI Kombustor, my PC crashed just like it did in Borderlands2.

So I lowered my GPU's maximum core clock from 850 MHz to 700MHz by MSI Afterburner, and the problem solved. :)

Windows 7 64-bit Professional
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz
DirectX 11
Radeon HD 5870

Status
Not open for further replies.