OC Voltage

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
I have begun OCing my system (P4 2.5/400 with 2x256 Corsair 3200 XMS) and made it to 2.875 GHz/max of 41 degrees C with SiSoft High Stress Test without any stability problems. Beyond that, I started to get BSODs or Windows would not run (never had no-posting problems). At this point, is it better to increase the CPU voltage from 1.5 to 1.55, or is the correct next step to increase DIMM voltage? Which is safer, or are there specific systems I should look for that will tell me to increase one or the other?

Thanks all.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by uther on 12/13/02 02:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
defenitly cpu core voltage. 2.8+ is pretty good at default. if it were me i'd crank it to the max see what you can get and then probobly voltage mod for even more voltage. i'm actually thinking about getting a 2.5a and cranking it up.

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I would watch it before you run any voltage mods. Read these 2 threads on another forum.

<A HREF="http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=115166&perpage=30&pagenumber=1" target="_new"> Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome Main thread </A>

<A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7604" target="_new"> Sudden Northwod Death Syndrome Secondary Thread </A>

So the moral is make sure you are ready to buy pleanty of CPU`s if you do the voltage mod on any northwood CPU`s.
AREA_51

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"So the moral is make sure you are ready to buy pleanty of CPU`s if you do the voltage mod on any northwood CPU`s.
" - total BS

This is a total farse, and very very very few Northwoods have actually died to over volting (most likely user error). You have a better chance of being in a plane crash, hit by lighting, or bitten by a shark.

I have been upwards of 2v on the core of many Northwoods, you just gotta be carefull to keep temps under control.

Here is my <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/4049.jpg" target="_new">3.06HT up over 4Ghz</A>

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Did you even read the thread? You would see that it is not BS if you read it. It does happen. And there wouldnt be that many people have the EXACT same thing happen if it wasnt true. You would also see it doesnt always happen straight away. It can take many months for the effect to destroy your CPU. Check your facts before you post here my friend.
AREA_51

svol

Champion
You're underestimating the problem... it happens more often then you think. And with NO user errors involved, unless you count overclocking in.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek: .

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Based on that, I am a little leary of upping the voltage on my CPU. Granted I was only going to go to 1.550 or 1.575. I am currently running at 2.9 GHz with standard voltage and high stress temp of 41 degrees C, avg temp of 30 degrees C. Have I pressed my luck far enough? :)

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
That should be fine. I am leary of such a tempreture variance. That is a lot of expansion and contraction there. But as the thread said it seems to only be the people that to the wire voltage mod on the chip that they suffer from SNDS.
AREA_51

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Check your facts before you post here my friend."

Ive been doing this a long time, you might want to figure out who I am before you rattle off that will come back and slap you.

I know the originator of that thread "Silversink" from Silverprop Aka Trollhunters (dead beats and scam artists who buy/sell off forums). He means well but it all boils down to user error, getting the core too hot will damage it as goes with any piece of electronics.

FUD

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yes. Keeping your CPU cool is of primary importance.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Ok explain 2 things if you know so much. Why was it ONLY the cpu`s that had the voltage mod that died because of SNDS? Also explain how some CPU`s were at a temp of 45-47C and they still died. I find it hard to believe that 47 degrees c is too hot. Tempreture has nothing to do with it or inexperianced users either. It is that fact that .13 micron cant handle the voltages that .18 micron can. That should be obvious.
AREA_51

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
It is that fact that .13 micron cant handle the voltages that .18 micron can

That's true AFAIK, the rule of thumb i'm aware of is >=1.7V will signifigantly decrease lifespan on any intel -.13 micron CPU. And 1.7V can be reached without a voltage mod... I don't see why anyone would need more, it seems to me it's been more or less proven that any more vcore then that stops making much of a difference on a northwood. Before you need 1.7Vcore to maintain your FSB you're a lot more likely to need more VDIMM or a watercooled northbridge.

Of course that's just my two cents, feel free to tell me why i'm wrong!

-Col.Kiwi

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
That's good to hear, makes me feel a little more comfortable about upping the Vcore into the 1.550 to 1.60 range. I'm really just trying to break the 3.0 GHz threshold, then I'll be happy. One question on the Northbridge - how hot do they typically run? I'm using MBM 5 and there are 2 temp diodes that I can report on, but have no idea from where they are reading. One reads 106 degrees C and the other is constant at 60. Are these bogus?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When you are overclocking 40c is way too hot to get very far let alone add more voltage. Ok, let use my setup as an example. my god 47c is too hot not overclocked.

3.06Ghz OC to 4.0Ghz @ 1.73v @ -40c @ idle

You understand that I am running 4Ghz @ 1.7v and holding -40c doing nothing but idling. Lets say I run 3DMark2002 nature test, just 1 test not the whole thing. My CPU will go from -40 to -28 over the course of the test as it requires that much cooling to satisfy my overclock safely. And I am using phase change cooling. Thats a 12c swing with the best cooling money can build. You gotta keep temps under control with exceptional cooling or you can kill the CPU. Lets say my system will boot into windows on the edge of crashing and im running @ +47c and I start a CPU intensive benchmark with poor cooling? Yep the CPU wil skyrocket thru the roof and self destruct. CPU thorttling works, but if you override the voltage regulator with a voltage mod then all bets are off. This explains your SNDS poor cooling combined with voltage mod, thats a no brainer formula for disaster.

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
So, do you think occassional spikes to 40 are too much? My system still idles around 27/28 C OCd to 2.9 GHz from 2.5 GHz, but under a full 3dMark, it will occassionally hit 40, although it does not stay there - it averages in the mid 30s. See any problems there?

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
You'd better hope those are bogus temps, beause by the time I type this your CPU is already dead if they're real. They're probably bogus.

My 1.8A at 2.4 runs 31C on boot, 29C idle, 38C load.

-Col.Kiwi