Recovering an old Windows 7 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunsadh

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I had given my Pc to someone to fix it and he did that but also reinstalled windows 7 (fresh install), even though there weren't any problems with windows. I've lost all my settings, favourites, games, software etc. Is there any way to recover the old windows installation? Or atleast the favourites, games, software individually?

Thanks.

varunsadh

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

What do I do in Step 5? I have don't have any of the operating systems mentioned there. My previous and current Windows installations are both Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

What do I do about the /nt52 /nt60 command?

Also would I need to specify drive letter as I have dual boot setup with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit?

Thanks

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"What do I do in Step 5? I have don't have any of the operating systems mentioned there."
Nothing, as Tom said if the folder is not there, you're out of luck.
"Also would I need to specify drive letter as I have dual boot setup with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit?"
There was no mention of a dual boot in your original post, was it there before, or only since someone fixed it and reinstalled?
If you didn't have a dual boot before and now have, then your original instalation is still there with all your settings. All you would need to do in that case is select the other OS from the menu at boot time.

varunsadh

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010

I have the .old folders. Once I lost my Windows 7 32 bit and had to start from scratch, I decided to install Windows 7 64 bit on my second partition. My first partition is a new installation of Windows 7 32 bit over my old one. I still have the .old folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.