Sign in with
Your question

Really quite simple

Last response: in Overclocking
December 14, 2002 3:49:27 PM

1) For those who dont render etc. Ihat real benifit does overclocking offer?

2) For those who dont overclock, why are people obssesed with cooling, AMD says the chips are perfect up to 90* C?

More about : simple

December 15, 2002 3:00:31 PM

1) If you can overclock by 10%, then you get 10% better performance. How you use that extra 10% is up to you.

2) The CPU will melt at 90 degrees. It is not uncommon for even an un-overclocked CPU to exceed 60 degrees under load. Once you start overclocking the thermal load increases significantly, making 90 degrees a possibility.

Also, the cooler you can keep your CPU, the higher you can overclock it. CPU's (as well as almost all semi-conductors) perform better at lower temperatures. I'm not going to go into great details why, just accept that a CPU kept at zero degrees is more efficient then the same CPU kept at 60 degrees. Because the CPU is more efficient at lower temperatures, the better you can cool it the higher you can overclock.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
December 16, 2002 8:09:50 AM

overclocking allows you to:
A. brag
B. brag some more
C. get more value out of your purchace
D. increase the usable lifespan of your system
E. warm your house in winter

2. I wouldnt say perfect up to 90.
90C is the temp at which damage will occur. electromigration and the like.
All cpus will sieze up and stop working well below that temp. usually around 60 to 70C.

You dont need a fantastic cooler to keep an AMD happy. Just the stock fan and moderate case cooling. Sure it wont be sub 40C, but so long as it doest get above 60 to 70C you should be fine. Modern CPU's are designed to run hot.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b>
Related resources
December 17, 2002 7:11:57 PM

Cooling is an issue for stability as well as performance. The closer the transistors get in chip design, the more critical adequate cooling becomes to reliable everyday operation, and the more substantial the benefit from increasing the capacity/heat transfer of the cooling system becomes to decreasing system errors.

Heat also affects equipment life, and not just from meltdowns, but wears them out. Therefore, reducing the heat reduces the frequency of replacing components.

Overclocking and performance enhancement is a separate issue - either you want more out of your current gear or you don't.
December 19, 2002 12:38:26 AM

My setup: amd xp 1800 runing at 1.8ghz fsb overclock on 2.1v cooled with arctic silver 3/epoxy mixture and a volcano 7 with a moded fan lapped to a mirror finish (I lapped the cpu die too)

with my extreme overclock and voltage settings my cooling setup manages to keep my cpu at 37c at idle and only 43c at full load. Most people don't get temps like that with their cpu running at stock speed and voltages.

why do we do it? because it is just another way for me to say I'm better than you! so there :p 

smurf A- I saw you leave with smurfette
smurf B- oh man as soon as we got out of the bar she started smurfing me
smurf A- shut the smurf up
smurf A- right in the smurfing pariking lot?
!