Printing from a UNIX system using a LPR Port

I am trying to print from a UNIX system using a LPR port. I've installed
Print Services for UNIX and started the TCP/IP Print Server service on 2
different systems. One Windows XP system has a LPT printer and the other has
an USB printer. I created the LPR port for the printer with the IP address
and print queue name on each Windows XP system. When I try a test print it
only works on the system with the LPT printer and not on the system with the
USB printer. Any ideas????

TIA,

Greg
5 answers Last reply
More about printing unix system port

    "Greg Grotyohann" wrote:

    > I am trying to print from a UNIX system using a LPR port. I've installed
    > Print Services for UNIX and started the TCP/IP Print Server service on 2
    > different systems. One Windows XP system has a LPT printer and the other has
    > an USB printer. I created the LPR port for the printer with the IP address
    > and print queue name on each Windows XP system. When I try a test print it
    > only works on the system with the LPT printer and not on the system with the
    > USB printer. Any ideas????
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Greg

    make sure that TCP port 515 is opened if a firewall is enabled. Also the
    service is set to manual start on XP. If you always want the service
    running change the start mode to automatic in services in computer
    management.

    This should work for any local printer as long as the data is properly
    formatted on the UNIX machine. In the past UNIX sends text or raw
    postscript to the device.

    What printer models do you have and what drivers are you using?

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Greg Grotyohann" <ggrotyohannNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to print from a UNIX system using a LPR port. I've installed
    > Print Services for UNIX and started the TCP/IP Print Server service on 2
    > different systems. One Windows XP system has a LPT printer and the other
    has
    > an USB printer. I created the LPR port for the printer with the IP address
    > and print queue name on each Windows XP system. When I try a test print it
    > only works on the system with the LPT printer and not on the system with
    the
    > USB printer. Any ideas????
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Greg

    "Greg Grotyohann" <ggrotyohannNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to print from a UNIX system using a LPR port. I've
    >installed Print Services for UNIX and started the TCP/IP Print Server
    >service on 2 different systems. One Windows XP system has a LPT
    >printer and the other has an USB printer. I created the LPR port for
    >the printer with the IP address and print queue name on each Windows
    >XP system. When I try a test print it only works on the system with
    >the LPT printer and not on the system with the USB printer. Any
    >ideas????

    What is the status of the Unix spooler after sending data to the PC
    with the USB printer?
    If data is transferred with no problems, and is simply not printed, it
    could indicate that the USB printer is a GDI printer which just
    ignores plain text data from Unix.
    If the Unix spooler is reporting an error, the Windows lpd-service
    does not accept data - check the Windows printer share-name is the
    same as the Unix remote queue name.

    /klaus

    "Klaus Jorgensen" <kj@no.spam> wrote in message
    > "Greg Grotyohann" <ggrotyohannNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I am trying to print from a UNIX system using a LPR port. I've
    >>installed Print Services for UNIX and started the TCP/IP Print Server
    >>service on 2 different systems. One Windows XP system has a LPT
    >>printer and the other has an USB printer. I created the LPR port for
    >>the printer with the IP address and print queue name on each Windows
    >>XP system. When I try a test print it only works on the system with
    >>the LPT printer and not on the system with the USB printer. Any
    >>ideas????
    >>

    > What is the status of the Unix spooler after sending data to the PC
    > with the USB printer?
    > If data is transferred with no problems, and is simply not printed, it
    > could indicate that the USB printer is a GDI printer which just
    > ignores plain text data from Unix.
    > If the Unix spooler is reporting an error, the Windows lpd-service
    > does not accept data - check the Windows printer share-name is the
    > same as the Unix remote queue name.
    >

    > /klaus

    I haven't tried to print from UNIX yet. I just testing from within Windows
    XP by printing a test print from the printer with the LPR port to the real
    Windows printers.

    Greg

    Alan,

    I'm not even printing from UNIX yet. I'm just "Printing a Test Page" from
    within Windows XP on each system. On the system with the LPT printer, the
    test print works. On the system with the USB printer, it fails. The LPT
    printer is an Epson 820, The USB printer is a Lexmark X1150.

    Greg

    "Alan Morris" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > make sure that TCP port 515 is opened if a firewall is enabled. Also the
    > service is set to manual start on XP. If you always want the service
    > running change the start mode to automatic in services in computer
    > management.
    >
    > This should work for any local printer as long as the data is properly
    > formatted on the UNIX machine. In the past UNIX sends text or raw
    > postscript to the device.
    >
    > What printer models do you have and what drivers are you using?
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team
    >
    > "Greg Grotyohann" <ggrotyohannNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I am trying to print from a UNIX system using a LPR port. I've installed
    >> Print Services for UNIX and started the TCP/IP Print Server service on 2
    >> different systems. One Windows XP system has a LPT printer and the other
    > has
    >> an USB printer. I created the LPR port for the printer with the IP
    >> address
    >> and print queue name on each Windows XP system. When I try a test print
    >> it
    >> only works on the system with the LPT printer and not on the system with
    > the
    >> USB printer. Any ideas????
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Greg