Mapped Network Printer to LPT1 hanging programs

We have several computers running Windows XP (Home and Pro) networked to a
file server running Windows 2000 Server. All critical updates have been
applied to the desktop computers since SP2.

We have some older programs (DOS and Windows 3x based) that rely on printing
to LPT1. All printers are networked. Up through this spring, this has been
working fine using

NET USE LPT1 \\servername\printername

In the past couple of months, some critical update has fouled up all efforts
to print to these printers. When you invoke printing to the mapped LPT1,
the program just hangs; if try to close, get the "Generic Host Process"
error upon exact every once in a while.

Has anyone else been running into this problem with recent critical updates?

See:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Michael Wyatt" <mwyatt@afcpensions.com> wrote in message
> We have several computers running Windows XP (Home and Pro) networked to a
> file server running Windows 2000 Server. All critical updates have been
> applied to the desktop computers since SP2.
>
> We have some older programs (DOS and Windows 3x based) that rely on
> printing to LPT1. All printers are networked. Up through this spring,
> this has been working fine using
>
> NET USE LPT1 \\servername\printername
>
> In the past couple of months, some critical update has fouled up all
> efforts to print to these printers. When you invoke printing to the
> mapped LPT1, the program just hangs; if try to close, get the "Generic
> Host Process" error upon exact every once in a while.
>
> Has anyone else been running into this problem with recent critical
> updates?

Not sure if you read my post or not. I've been mapping printers for almost
4 years in XP; some Critical Update in the last 4 months is causing the map
to not work anymore.

> See:
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Michael Wyatt" <mwyatt@afcpensions.com> wrote in message
>> We have several computers running Windows XP (Home and Pro) networked to
>> a file server running Windows 2000 Server. All critical updates have
>> been applied to the desktop computers since SP2.
>>
>> We have some older programs (DOS and Windows 3x based) that rely on
>> printing to LPT1. All printers are networked. Up through this spring,
>> this has been working fine using
>>
>> NET USE LPT1 \\servername\printername
>>
>> In the past couple of months, some critical update has fouled up all
>> efforts to print to these printers. When you invoke printing to the
>> mapped LPT1, the program just hangs; if try to close, get the "Generic
>> Host Process" error upon exact every once in a while.
>>
>> Has anyone else been running into this problem with recent critical
>> updates?

Dear Mr. Wyatt,

> We have some older programs (DOS and Windows 3x based) that rely on
printing
> to LPT1. All printers are networked. Up through this spring, this has
been
> working fine using
>
> NET USE LPT1 \\servername\printername
>
> In the past couple of months, some critical update has fouled up all
efforts
> to print to these printers. When you invoke printing to the mapped LPT1,
> the program just hangs

We experienced similar problems some month ago. In our case, we found they
were related to the KB885835, so, uninstalling that fix cured the problem.

Maybe you already know this, but remember to always check if the user
running the NET USE command have enough permissions to map the remote port.
In particular way, please note that if the LPT1 port is physically present
on your hardware, the user running the NET USE command needs to have
Administrator rights.

If this suggestions still doesn't solve your problem, you may try to have a
look at our Printfil software. http://www.printfil.com

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.printfil.com
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

See if the information in http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;832219
helps.

See also http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;891861 - updated
version of the Update Rollup 1 for 2000 SP4.

I suggest you contact Microsoft Product Support Services
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&gprid=7274&c1=509&x=8&y=10.
Any issue with a security patch is a free call.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing